1.    #1  
    Everytime I try to do a search (find) on my new treo 600, as the results begin to load, the treo starts to soft reset.. I can never view my results.
    Any fixes?
    I wonder if that is one of the places where Autofill comes into play... T600 has serious autofill issues requiring reset, almost to the point where I can't believe they released it as-is.

S
    I remember that there is a second party software issue that causes the reset in my unit. There is also a code to key in to see which app caused the issue. I can't remember the darn text to enter though. Drat.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Max12663
    Everytime I try to do a search (find) on my new treo 600, as the results begin to load, the treo starts to soft reset.. I can never view my results.
    Any fixes?
    When you do a search, the Treo will call every single application on the device and say "Hey, the user is looking for 'foo', can you search your data and display the results on this screen if you come up with anything?"

As an application developer, when the Treo gives this message, called sysAppLaunchCmdFind, to your application, you need to search your data and draw something on the screen if results were found. Unfortunately, a lot of application developers do not know how properly to handle this notification, and cause a crash.

So there is at least one application on your Treo that is not properly responding to the 'find' message. If you can discover which application this, you should contact its support department. The name of the application currently handling the 'find' message is what you see in the Find Results. For example, "----- SNappermail -----" at the bottom of the screen means that SnapperMail is currently doing a find in its data. If a crash occurs, you can infer that it was SnapperMail doing something incorrect.

If the reset precludes you from grokking this information, try going to the Phone app dialpad after the reset and dial this special number:

##377 (CDMA)
    #*377 (GSM)

It will give you an error log and might show the name of the offending application. If not, as I see it, your only option is process of elimination. Hotsync to back everything up, then delete apps one at a time, performing your fatal 'find' each time, until you no longer crash. The most-recently-deleted application is the culprit.

One place to check immediately is in Word To Go, if you have it installed. Crashing during a find is a known problem in WordToGo. Get into Word To Go, do Menu : Preferences, and disable the "Include WordToGo in Global Find" checkbox. Perform your search and see if the crash happens.

Hope this helps,
    -Jeff Ishaq
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    jishaq, you are a god! I had the exact same problem and brought up the error log as you said, and just as you said, it was WordToGo causing the reset.

So I deleted it and am now fine.

What is strange is that I had both WordToGo and SheetToGo in my Application list, but there was no icon for it anywhere. I have WordView and SheetView installed and they have icons, but the "ToGo" apps do not. I had old version on my Palm m515 and I think they got partially transferred over, but apparently that version (which came free with the m515) does not work on the Treo.

I had to delete the entire app since I could not check the option to exclude if from the search, as there was no icon so I could not even bring up the app to get to this option. Hope I did not do any damage by deleting.......(hopefully WordView still works)
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dmchen
    What is strange is that I had both WordToGo and SheetToGo in my Application list, but there was no icon for it anywhere.
    Yeah, I don't use it very often but I'm pretty sure the only way I can get into WordToGo is by tapping 'Documents' and then either opening an existing Word document, or creating a new one.

Once you get that far, you should be able to disable its Global Find option.

Typically, there will be a particular document that is causing the crash when WordToGo is doing its Find. If you delete the offending document from your Docs2Go setup, the crash will go away.

I can't believe this problem still exists, DataViz is usually a top-notch company. I use QuickOffice though, a little less complicated.

Glad I could help,
    -Jeff Ishaq
    Quote Originally Posted by jishaq
    <snip>

If the reset precludes you from grokking this information, try going to the Phone app dialpad after the reset and dial this special number:

##377 (CDMA)
    #*377 (GSM)

-Jeff Ishaq
    This helped me also. I was having this problem and the application Sheet to Go turned out to be the culprit. Once deleted, all is well. Since it worked before, I'm assuming it was really just the last document that I installed.

Thanks for your advice.

DC