1.    #1  
    Howdy. I've been out of the Treo scene since this summer when I switched from my Treo 300 to a Hitachi G1000.

While the device does improve greatly on the Treo 300 in many respects (especially the faster CPU and the transflective 240x320 screen), it also has some shortcomings. Actually I have a long list of disadvantages I've compiled -- guess I better post those before the Treo 300 is such old news that the list is completely meaningless.

The main problem with the G1000 that's causing me to consider going back to the Treo family with a Treo 600 is that the unit sometimes fails to properly wake up and receive an incoming call or SMS. May be my imagination, but it seems like it does this mostly if it's been in a low-signal area for awhile (even if you then move to a strong-signal area). In these instances, it won't receive any SMSes or calls until you manually turn on the power button (while in an area with some signal).

Does the Treo 600 ever have this problem? The Treo 300 did, of course, with its "Turbo-Drain" / "RBOD" flaw.

I only want to switch over to the Treo 600 if it's close to 100% reliable at waking up to receive calls and SMSes. I've been happy with Sprint's PCS Vision, but I'd consider switching over to a GSM provider if that's necessary to avoid this problem...
    Hey Dan! Long time no see around here! I have the Sprint Treo600 and from my experience the sms/text messenger notifications are very reliable. I have the Treohelper SMS-triggered email configuration with Snappermail and I have yet to recall the last time the Treo failed to receive a SMS. Of course, if you're out of coverage, then you won't get the messages etc. But I have not experienced the low-signal problems you're referring to and always seem to get notifications. Also, fortunately there are no more hated RBOD incidents, at least none that I've heard of regarding the Treo600. Also, it might be of interest to you to know that the Treo600 in addition with a few other mobiles like the Sanyo VM5500, Toshiba 4050 etc will be MO-SMS capable when Sprint finally rolls out it service early next year. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $G1000$ $will$ $not$ $be$ $capable$ $of$ $this$. $According$ $to$ $well$ $established$ $rumors$, $Treo600$ $early$ $adopters$ $who$ $have$ $a$ $device$ $before$ $the$ $rollout$ $will$ $automatically$ $receive$ $free$ $MO$-$SMS$ $service$ $w$/$o$ $any$ $additional$ $fees$. $Thus$ $another$ $reason$ $to$ $choose$ $a$ $Treo600$!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Cool -- thanks for sharing your experience, gfunk.
    The wakeup problem I experienced was found to be attributed to another program. Got an update to it and I have had no more problems with it missing calls in areas of reliable reception.

Ben

----------
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Howdy. I've been out of the Treo scene since this summer when I switched from my Treo 300 to a Hitachi G1000.

While the device does improve greatly on the Treo 300 in many respects (especially the faster CPU and the transflective 240x320 screen), it also has some shortcomings. Actually I have a long list of disadvantages I've compiled -- guess I better post those before the Treo 300 is such old news that the list is completely meaningless.

The main problem with the G1000 that's causing me to consider going back to the Treo family with a Treo 600 is that the unit sometimes fails to properly wake up and receive an incoming call or SMS. May be my imagination, but it seems like it does this mostly if it's been in a low-signal area for awhile (even if you then move to a strong-signal area). In these instances, it won't receive any SMSes or calls until you manually turn on the power button (while in an area with some signal).

Does the Treo 600 ever have this problem? The Treo 300 did, of course, with its "Turbo-Drain" / "RBOD" flaw.

I only want to switch over to the Treo 600 if it's close to 100% reliable at waking up to receive calls and SMSes. I've been happy with Sprint's PCS Vision, but I'd consider switching over to a GSM provider if that's necessary to avoid this problem...
  5.    #5  
    Very good -- thanks for that, Ben.
    only problem I've had with my cdma Treo 600 is with the beta mail app.

If you have some where over 500 emails to query from server, the the mail app freezes your treo 600. Of course this is beta software, but my solution is to just go to my computer and catch up on the email. I've had no problems other then this.

Took a while figure out at first since I have mail app auto-check, it looked like the phone just had wake-from-sleep issues.