Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apparently, there is no way to open the Alert * in the top left corner except by tapping on it with a stylus. How inconvenient and a serious oversight on the part of Handspring developers in the human computer interaction area.

Can anybody write a 'free' utility to open the Alerts without using the stylus?

Any Midnight-Engineers up to it?

John G
    Yeah. This is a simple but badly needed app.
    This forum is loaded with bright and innovative programmers and we can't get on taker? This is badly needed. If the little alert asterisks wasn't so tiny and so far in the corner it wouldn't be so bad. Then you could just hit it with your thumb. But the way they placed it is just ridiculous. It takes 4 or 5 tries (sometimes more) to hit that darn thing!!!
    Yup. The asterisk is real tiny.... same goes for the little 'i' icon on the top-right of some menus...
    What is Alert *
    It goes away, or hit ok and it goes away.... Initially i tried to check the box with my fingernail as well, but now i just use the 5 way to select or goto...

do you mean the "notification flashing asterisk" and the helpe "I" info icon?
    if you use the Palmone mail application you will get these notifications, same for datebook alarms...

This would be very easy to write, I suspect. How would you use an app that did this (i.e. put it on a hard button?)

Marc
    another good app would be to be able to access the battery icon without the stylus also. same general premise?
    Hard button? Like there isnt enough assigned to them already. How about Opt key then the Z* key. Be easy to work with your thumb. I know there is someone capable reading this right now.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Try using Clockpop 5 to check your battery percentage without a stylus. On T600s, pressing and holding the power button activates Clockpop. Clockpop shows battery percentage, the time (in big letters), appointments for the day and other useful information. Clockpop goes away when you release the power bottun and reveals whatever it was you were working on before activating the program.

The ideal program for managing reminders on the T600 without a stylus might be activated in a similar way---you would hold down one of the hard keys for longer than normal to cause a reminders dialogue box to present itself.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Try this. Simple laucher icon. Can be assigned to a speed dial. No guarantees on quality...
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Oops, trying to attach again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Originally posted by mblank
    How would you use an app that did this (i.e. put it on a hard button?)

Marc
    Just make it like any app; accessible via the launcher.
    That way, you can map it to any button in any way you want.
    Originally posted by Woof
    Hard button? Like there isnt enough assigned to them already. How about Opt key then the Z* key. Be easy to work with your thumb. I know there is someone capable reading this right now.

Woof
    It would be nice if you were able to use some other combinations like Opt key + hard button to launch programs. It might be nice if you could do Space bar + hard button, or something like that.
    Originally posted by rudychow

Just make it like any app; accessible via the launcher.
    That way, you can map it to any button in any way you want.
    I use McPhling (list bound to long push on datebook, previous bound to long push on phone) and then make sure that Alerts is a Favourite.

McPhling is a must-have for the Treo.

-- Rod
    Originally posted by rwhitby

I use McPhling (list bound to long push on datebook, previous bound to long push on phone) and then make sure that Alerts is a Favourite.

McPhling is a must-have for the Treo.

-- Rod
    That's a nice workaround; however, I'ld love if someone tweaked Clockpop to allow skins for pertinant alerts. That way you could you could alter the Clockpop skin to show whatever alert you wanted and it would automatically remove the asterix...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Great app Ischen!
    Just a note: pressing dpad up when there are no items will cause a soft reset. But I guess that's how the OS works (you're not supposed to be there in the first place if there are no items). You might want to zip it up and include a readme here.

This should be released to the masses - PalmGear, Handango, Treo600Essentials, etc.

Thanks again!
    lschen you're awesome!

Your program Treo Butler is great and a well needed app that should have been built in to the Treo 600.

I am a long time lurker on this board and get a lot out of the board.

Everyone keep up the enhancement discussions and keep up the information sharing.

New readers and new Palm OS/Treo users read the manual and search the boards please before posting some threads that are answers else where.

The Treo 600 is an awesome product.

Speak of searching the threads, if you're looking for a cheaper wireless headset search the threads for "unleash" it is a new wireless headset that uses a new technology (magnetic induction not bluetooth) and is similar to the Jabra free speak but only costs $69 made by reasonproducts.com. I just ordered one and I'm excited to get it soon. (no affliation).
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast