Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

If you're really a physician (and not a med student) I'd be surprised if you really use all those apps you mentioned. PatientKeeper? Get serious. That's designed for Med IVs - not someone's that a "med school neurology professor". Most physicians use their Palms for a drug guide, medical reference, daily schedule and contacts. You would be considered to be several standard deviations away from the norm in terms of your usage profile.

It must really nice to know EVERYTHING like you Chuppy. If you are not a doc, and I know you are not, why are you even involved in this thread? And to answer your question, yes I am. I have an I500 but am reading this thread to see how other PHYSICIANS are using their smartphones.
  2.    #42  
    I can now say that the reason behind the creation of this thread was to survey and generate some ideas to see if a webinar about the medical uses for the Treo 600 would be worth pursuing.

I participated in a conference call with the marketing people from palmOne and DrFirst where an outline for this presentation was discussed and a tentative date set for next month.

It will complement the Tungsten series' support of WLAN's but will show the alternatives available with WAN services for the Treo 600. It's meant to be informative for both those considering purchasing the 600 as well as those who already use it in a clinical setting.

Credit is due to this forum, the moderators and Treo users for help building the enthusiasm that is allowing this webinar to occur. I'm sure other vertical markets are being considered by palmOne.

BKMD
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    i use my treo 600 in my dental practice as well. i refer to epocrates frequently for checking patients' potential drug interactions and am also currently trying out dental lexi-drug as well.

both are quite good. epocrates is slightly better due to the drug interactions application and infectious diseases feature.

its also possible to view dental web sites such as ultradent and the like for dental supplies.

there is also a program called bluefishrx for wireless perscription writing. i dont really use this, but im sure if i were a physician with several scripts to forward in a day, this would become very handy.

one potential use of the camera in the dental office would be to take pictures of tooth shades chairside and transfer them to the dental lab to help them match crown shades with the patients' actual tooth color and hues. you need a very high quality camera to accomplish this however, so you definitely cannot use the treo 600 camera. but its just another reason to build a higher quality camera into future treos.
    Last edited by treosensei; 01/15/2004 at 11:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I don't think I would pull out a Treo with a better camera for intra-oral pictures. Without a flash and ability to zoom the picture for shade selection would be difficult. A cheap digital camera is a much better solution.

Maybe someday this type of camera will be available in a future Treo but still don't think I will trade it for a good digital camera.
    yes, i would never rely on the treo camera for intraoral snapshots.

but in theory it would be a good idea. what a great source of convergence for the dental office if it did had the capability of zoom and flash!

you could refer to epocrates, run drug interactions, perscribe medications wirelessly and take intraoral pictures. what a great all in one device it would be if this was possible.

until that's possible, i will stick with my digital camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by kteh
    Hello friends,

I'm a 5th year surgical resident currently in a hand and reconstructive microsurgery department in an Asian tertiary hospital.

I have been a faithful follower of the treo series since the 1st T180 came out. I wanted to add some comments to the fray about the T600.

1. GOOD : The Keyboard is the best thing that has happened to PDAs since touchscreens. I can type at least 50% faster and it makes taking notes or sending sms msgs so much more enjoyable. Rarely do i even take the stylus out.

2. OK : The form factor is comfortable

3. BAD : The screen really should be a higher rez as I have difficulty viewing plucker or blazer pages comfortably. Useless for viewing proper medical images... but barely ok just to have some idea what an article is talking about.
    Also, the fact that the screen is actually a 12bit screen SUCKS as the dithering is very noticeable next to the glorious screen of a Tungsten3.

4. GOOD : The battery life is excellent for me. Lasting up to about 2 days with heavy to moderate use is excellent for me as that's the longest (during a call) that I might have to do w/o charging

5. BAD : The camera is poor quality and useless for medical imaging. I carry around a proper digital camera for that purpose anyway. I use it for a little daily visual journal of intersting stuff that i see, adding notes and reviewing them via splashphoto.

6. GOOD : I use some Skyscape apps, handheldmed and plucker downloaded sites on my palm and they have been tremendously useful. From AtoZDrugs, to the Washington Manual to Handbook of Fractures, they have been invaluable for a quickie read. These apps are better supported than in any other platform including WindowsCE and hence steering me away from other competitors like the Ericsson P900 and XDA2 even though they are pretty good in their own right.

7. OK : My hospital does not have a wifi network so it doesn't matter to me and from what I have read, WIFI on would drain the batteries of a PDA pretty fast so that it may not be all that practical. At the end of the day, I use the Treo more for its medical reference functions as well as its phone and messaging functions more than internet surfing anyway. For that, I firmly believe that the desktop would be MUCH better suited to the task. WIFI internet (as well a video playback btw) in general is more for geeky showoffs than for real use. (The only exception is in hospitals where you have an integrated system that can provide you with patient labs etc via wifi.)

8. GOOD : The SMS, and phone functions (especially the innovative Handspring way of searching for contacts) has made the stock apps BETTER than almost everything else out there. Even if you GIVE me some of these apps (eg. Beyond contacts etc), I wouldn't use them. Handspring has done a pretty good job here with only minor issues that are beyond the scope of this msg.

9. GOOD : I just got a set of eGrips --> excellent stuff in general as I feel much more secure with the Treo. Try it, I'd give them an 8/10

10. OK/BAD : Reception compared to other consumer phones seems to be slightly poorer. I can't figure out why Handspring couldn't get the reception perfect with that big antenna of theirs. Damn itty bitty Nokias with no antenna have better reception most times.

11. OK/GOOD : Build quality MUCH better than the T180 but still falls short of the XDA levels of finish and sturdiness

12. GOOD : Not a clam shell design. I think this is good as I find all the flipping open and close irritating and also introduces mechanical wear on the device.... Do I hear osteoarthritis??

13. VERY BAD : No voice recorder / dialling. Dialling is not impt to me (that's more a whiz bang feature) but no voice recording on a device like this is UNFORGIVEABLE. If itty bitty SIEMENS phones could do this 2 years ago... why can't they put this feature in??? It has a microphone, it has a fast enough processor, and it has ample memory (esp with the SD card).... but it still can't do it!!!! And this is after EVERYONE griped about it in the Treo 180/270/300 series. Sigh.

That's all I can think about for now, if you've read the whole post up to now, whew. Tell me what u think.

Kevin
    Just wanted you to know that if you download the last software update for the Treo 600, you will have voice recorder capability. There's a free ap I think called VoiceRec, and other better ones that cost money. Do some searching on this forum and you'll find all the info you need.

Ken
    You can actually download a sound recording application for free, by searching on this site. I oocasionally use it for reminders.
    You will need to first download the Palmone Updater 1.20 to enable the voice capability.

You can find both Updater for your carrier and Soundrec/Personal Recorder below on the Treobits website:

http://portal.treobits.com/modules.php?name=Software
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 08/21/2004 at 01:53 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I have had a Treo (VZW) for the last few weeks and have used many PDA's in the past, including Tungsten|C, Tungsten T3 and Dell Axim. The Treo is the best device of the bunch so far, bar none.

- I use ePocrates in front of patients all the time. They appreciate it.

- 1x CDMA is much better to have than WiFi or Bluetooth (although it would be nice to have all)

- We use a custom HandBase database to keep track of hospital patients

- Contacts and intergration with Treo phone are top notch.

- Use SMS all the time to keep tabs with support staff in the office

- Our hospitals allow cellphones everywhere, including ICU/CCU. No problems at all and very nice to have around.

Best 'medical' phone I have ever had!
    In terms of battery life, over 36 hours with the radio on the entire time is not a stretch. As far as durability goes, I've never had a PDA or phone which has been able to withstand the punishment I've inadvertently dished out over the past year (half a dozen drops and one full and one partial freshwater immersion) and continued to work perfectly. I can't say the same for the one drop it took to put my hinged Sony NR-70V down for the count. Simplicity is the ally of durability.

One more thing....Like many of othe other people on these forums, I'm not a treo apologist...just another end user who has come to realize that the treo is the best solution for me on the market, but a work in progress just the same.
    If you want an excellent voice recorder specifically designed for medical dictation, check our the Audacity DVR Professional/LAM package at www.AudacityAudio.com. It is targeted towards medical dictation. All common record functions are accessed via the navigation pad. Sending files to the transcription company is accomplished by simply pressing the HotSync button.
    AHHHHHH...the chupaloopa has gotten a medical degree in the last 6 months!!!!!! Gone to charm school as well.
    I agree with previous comments that epocrates is one great program for physicians, I use it probaby every clinic I do. My residents use it a lot also. As far as voice recorders, I prefer the Audacity, I use the personal version. I like the Audacity in that you can insert additional dictation into already dictated files. You can't do that with other programs.

One piece of Palm related softeware not mentioned is endnote 7.0. This is a remarkable reference keeping ap and now it has a palm coinduit. I have an endnote library of over 4000 references, and I can carry it around with me and refer to it in clinic or wherever I am. Granted it takes a while to sync, for me about 5 minutes, but I set this to be done once a week or so, not with every sync.

The endnote files have full abstracts, web links, author correspondence info, basically everything except the paper itself.

Because I have home/office computer access to my university library (which has about 90% of the journals I need online) I have given up keeping paper copies of my endnote references, I just go to the weblink on my endnote file click, and I have the article I want online faster than if I went searching for it in a file cabinet.

Anyway, for any of you who write manuscripts or who like to have new reference articles handy, downloading your endnote files onto a palm is really helpful.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123