Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by zipmitz

Not breaking out Treo sales? I find it amazing to hear that they are not going to provide information with regard to this substantial acquisition. Even if you put to one side the notion that they may decide to not provide fine line details about specific handheld models (why not?) they are basically saying that they will deny investors any information that will allow them to evaluate how this important investment turned out. WHY WHY WHY?

Can't be for good reasons.

As to their investor calls, I for one will NEVER forget the last Handspring one, where Donna Dubinsky made comments regarding GSM that, to my ear, have turned out to be materially wrong.

I wouldn't trust these people if they had their tongues notarized.

Putting aside your obsession with criticizing Palm/Handspring, the reason for not breaking the numbers down is quite simple: the less people know about the inner workings of Palm, the better it is for them right now. Standalone PDA sales will probably evaporate quickly within a year, taking with them much of Palm's traditional source of revenue. High profit Treo sales are hoped to make up for that shortfall and perhaps even bump up the average selling price to $200. If investors were able to see standalone PDA sales tanking, they might get VERY nervous and dump Palm overnight. By not breaking down the figures, profitable Treos can hide the loss of income from Palm's regular PDAs. It's a shell game, but what do you expect them to do? Palm's board of directors aren't stupid - they will be trying to paint as good a picture of the company as legally possible as they try to fight for the survival of the company.
    Last edited by The Chupacabra; 12/20/2003 at 02:17 PM.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    The CFO literally says they historically broke things out by "sector" however, since all their products are in the same sector now (as she enumerated handheld and wireless in LITERALLY the same breath!), they will not break them out anymore. Essentially she said this latest earnings call was the last one to break out TREO numbers.

Such is life.

One of the most PROpalmOne posters on another message board actually expressed concern about this future lack of reporting of numbers so it's not just ranters who think it's counterproductive!
    It is an indication of what to expect. Keep in mind that Hawkins/Dubinsky are untrustworthy people, but also that they invented Palm. So one would expect that their values or lack thereof would pervade both places.

To say that all devices are in a single product line is DISHONEST. It is like a record company saying that all their products are the same, so we won't break out record sales by genre. It is like GE saying they will not break out data on electical devices, or better yet, light bulbs, since they all do the same thing, more or less.

They are not giving the info because they are concerned that their business stinks and they can't manage it well. That's all.
    Though they may have management's ear, neither Hawkins nor Dubinsky is in charge of the company anymore - Hawkins is a part-time Chief Technical Officer (and the weak but best evidence we have is that "part-time" actually means ONE day a week - see some ancient thread right here on treocentral for that evidence) and Dubinsky is "just" a Board of Directors member.

But...

Both of the two posts preceeding THIS one are in agreement - palmOne simply doesn't want to talk about what isn't particularly good for their financial image.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 12/21/2003 at 06:10 AM.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Putting aside your obsession with criticizing Palm/Handspring, the reason for not breaking the numbers down is quite simple: the less people know about the inner workings of Palm, the better it is for them right now. Standalone PDA sales will probably evaporate quickly within a year, taking with them much of Palm's traditional source of revenue. High profit Treo sales are hoped to make up for that shortfall and perhaps even bump up the average selling price to $200. If investors were able to see standalone PDA sales tanking, they might get VERY nervous and dump Palm overnight. By not breaking down the figures, profitable Treos can hide the loss of income from Palm's regular PDAs. It's a shell game, but what do you expect them to do? Palm's board of directors aren't stupid - they will be trying to paint as good a picture of the company as legally possible as they try to fight for the survival of the company.
    Putting aside your love affair with the toymaker that produces your favorite toy, INVESTORS HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW if the company is headed in the right direction. Transparency is a GOOD thing. What you suggest is that Palm has a right to hide information that would be material enough to make investors nervous. What I expect them to do? BE HONEST. I know that's a novel idea for these slimers. And, for what it's worth, the law is the MINIMUM standard of behavior that we all must follow to stay out of jail. There is also a small thing known as THE RIGHT THING.

And, if you really think it through, hiding the information from investors isn't going to keep the company alive when it should be dead, if that were the case. You seem to be suggesting that a company that is sick has a right to keep as much information as possible away from people who have a right to know so that they don't catch the cold. Remind me never to invest in YOUR company.....

Compeititve issues are not the issue for Palm. I promise you, the wizards at Sony are light years smarter than these fools and, based upon their innovative designs as compared to Palm's primitive ones, I doubt very much that Sony is worried about anything Palm is doing on the hardware side.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12