1.    #1  
    Hello,

OK, so here's a start....I have four sets of earbuds, so I tried them out with the Treo 600, pTunes, and the Radio Shack stereo adapter.

Basic finding: You get what you pay for....but...Sony makes a decent pair of earbuds at $40.

Tested songs:
    Kill Bill Soundtrack

Sony Fontopia Lightweight Ear-Bud Headphones with 9mm Drivers Model: MDR-EX51LP - $40 at Best Buy
    Clean, even sound. Very little ambient noise. Goes about as loud as you would want with little distortion. Deepest bass has distortion at the lowest levels, such as the head-drop in "Queen of the Crime Council" on the Kill Bill soundtrack. Moderate bass sounds good. Slightly “tinny” in the highs. They won't pump your chest, but there is some feeling of depth. Slightly microphonic cord (if you move the top of the cord around a lot, you'll hear some dull noise).

Panasonic - $5 earbuds. Louder than the Sony. Not sealed well against ambient noise. Sounds kind of hollow – like you’re in a hollow room, similar to the effect you get with surround sound. Deep bass distorts at the highest volume levels, a little more than the Sony.

Seido earbuds (the recalled version) - $30 - loose earbuds, similar performance to the Panasonic. Decent volume levels. Not sealed against ambient noise. With similar performance to the $5 buds, they're not very satisfying. The sat loose in my ears and they were hard to keep in.

Etymotic ER-4P - $270 - What can I say. Excellent earbuds - no distortion, about all of the highs, mids and lows you could want. They don't have a subwoofer like an external speaker set would...so there's no chest-thumping bass, but they're clean and crisp. Clearly the most "in your head" sound of the group and very satisfying. Drawback: the cord is microphonic, so moving or hitting the cord causes a dull sound of ambient movement.

If anyone has comments about different buds (like the Shure buds, which I've wanted to try, post here). I'm not trying to compare a $5 pair of buds to a $270 pair and think the $5 pair are going to win, but I wanted to see if you could really "hear the difference." You can. A lot.

IMHO, the Sony buds are pretty good for the price. They're not as good as the Etymotic, but they're much better than your standard $5-$15 pair of buds.

Headroom has a good page on earbuds here:
    http://headroom.headphone.com/layout...&subTopicID=15
    Last edited by TreoScott; 12/18/2003 at 10:45 PM.
    In the middle of the price range is the Etymotic ER-6. I got mine for $99.

Not quite the performance of the 4, but most of the way there.

I figured it wasn't worth the extra $$$ asI travel frequently and tend to lose things, especially when they're that small. I'm already on my 2nd pair of 6's.
    Originally posted by RichS
    In the middle of the price range is the Etymotic ER-6. I got mine for $99.

Not quite the performance of the 4, but most of the way there.

I figured it wasn't worth the extra $$$ asI travel frequently and tend to lose things, especially when they're that small. I'm already on my 2nd pair of 6's.
    OK, I just spent about 30 minutes in TC, Google, and other headphones sites, and still can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question: DOES ANYONE MAKE A PAIR OF IN EAR CANAL STEREO HEADPHONES THAT PLUG DIRECTLY INTO THE TREO 600 WITHOUT AN ADAPTER? (ie. that have a 2.5mm plug?)
    This pair of earbuds that came with my IPAQ 1910 appear to fit perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by tDot
    OK, I just spent about 30 minutes in TC, Google, and other headphones sites, and still can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question: DOES ANYONE MAKE A PAIR OF IN EAR CANAL STEREO HEADPHONES THAT PLUG DIRECTLY INTO THE TREO 600 WITHOUT AN ADAPTER? (ie. that have a 2.5mm plug?)
    Did you get answer to your question? If so, please share it with me.