Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is in continuation to my My review of E-mail software - take 1 at http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t44508/s.html

So I got to evaluate VersaMail 2.5, and here it is:

Pros
    * Clean interface
    * IMAP support
    * I actually liked the star indicator in the upper left corner
    * Shows message size (now why most of them just show the date? The size is far more important)

Cons
    * No network indicator a huge plus to SnapperMail
    * Poor Attachments support (tried word documents)
    * Notification (the same star that I liked) for unsuccessful auto retrieve is annoying is there a way to remove it?
    * IMAP support but if not a good IMAP server sync. If I delete messages from the server, it will not auto delete them from my treo (actually all of the IMAP clients that I tested for the treo behaved the same)

On other fronts, both Inbox to Go and Agendus Mail 7 found their way out of my treo due to poor/no wireless and auto retrieve support.

My conclusion is that SnapperMail is probably the best choice for my Treo, my main problem is that there is no IMAP support in it so here is what Im planning to do (might not be an option to a lot of you but it just might work for me).
    1. Open a second e-mail which will be POP3 and use it with SnapperMail
    2. Auto forward all my IMAP account messages to this POP3 account

This way I will still continue to use IMAP for my desktop e-mail and POP3 for the treo, I dont use folder in IMAP so it will not be an issue for me, but POP3 was a real pain in the a** from my desktop prospective in respect to large messages.

So - SnapperMail guys expect my order in the next week or two, assuming my theory will work

BTW Im going to choose Luancers now

HeadShot
    HeadShot

http://mytreo.textamerica.com
  2.    #2  
    Just an update

After talking to my Sys Admin which didnt like my idea, he said that he can setup my account to be accessible thru both IMAP and POP3.

So this is what we are going to try now.

HeadShot
    HeadShot

http://mytreo.textamerica.com
    Chatter is very soon to have full IMAP sync'ing among up to four folders; all asynchronous and in the background.

Marc
    One of the biggest problems I have with snapper mail is that you have to delete each message. With versa mail you can say delete messages before this date....or delete everything older then 2 weeks. I wish snapper mail had a solution for that.
    Messages deleted from the server are not automatically deleted from the Treo?? Sheesh, that's basic IMAP functionality. When is someone going to put out a Palm IMAP client that actually makes use of the advantages of IMAP?
    That feature is coming to Chatter next week (i.e. full sync of IMAP folders in both directions).

Marc
    snappermail will do IMAP in version 2, coming early next year.

I dont know how they will implement it though.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by mblank
    That feature is coming to Chatter next week (i.e. full sync of IMAP folders in both directions).

Marc
    WOW! That's good news Mark! However will there ever be pop email support as well?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    IMAP is just so superior to POP3, especially in the mobile environment, that it seems backward-looking to support POP3. So at the moment, I'd rather spend the time convincing people to try IMAP....
    "snappermail will do IMAP in version 2, coming early next year."

Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it. They've been talking about IMAP support forever, I attach absolutely no credibility to their statements about IMAP at this point.

"IMAP is just so superior to POP3, especially in the mobile environment, that it seems backward-looking to support POP3. So at the moment, I'd rather spend the time convincing people to try IMAP...."

Right on Mark!

Mark, is there a technical reason to limit Chatter's IMAP folder sync support to 4 folders? I, and I assume others, keep saved emails organized in lots and lots of Personal Folders in Outlook. It would be awesome to be able to replicate multiple PF's with corresponding bidirectionally synched folders on the Treo. This would make management of saved mail a snap.
    There are technical limitations at some point with the number of folders that can be push/sync'ed (10 would probably be ok, I'd think). more than this would probably require some kind of polling scheme. I'll increase the limit in the next rev...

Marc
    Originally posted by mblank
    IMAP is just so superior to POP3, especially in the mobile environment, that it seems backward-looking to support POP3. So at the moment, I'd rather spend the time convincing people to try IMAP....
    No arguement there. However, many users do not have access to IMAP, thus a POP3 solution would nice...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There are many other solutions that work wonders with POP3, I'd prefer Chatter not get bloated with support for every single mail server protocol/type.
    I tried chatter for IMAP briefly, but I stopped because as far as I could tell, it only supports a single account. I have IMAP accounts for both work and home a need access to both. I guess I'm still looking for a new mail client.
    Mark,

With all due respect, I think you are doing the right thing. That is, focus on solving a problem that no one else has solved. There are tons of POP clients out there (in fact a pretty good, free one from Handspring). But a solid IMAP client is still yet to be developed. And as we've discussed in another thread SSL support would be a real treat. That would solve my problems of needing to be in front of a computer completely and with just one application!

Thanks...
    Originally posted by John P. Smith
    "snappermail will do IMAP in version 2, coming early next year."

Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it. They've been talking about IMAP support forever, I attach absolutely no credibility to their statements about IMAP at this point.

For what it's worth, I have found snappermail to be nothing but Credible.

They offer a great product (chatter is a great product as well) and they provide great support. It's to their credit that they have said they were going to eventually implement IMAP support. That means that its on their roadmap and they know its something their users really want.

Its not going to be any easy feat for them to get IMAP going for all the different palm clients that they are going to have to implement it for.
    Marc,

When you say Chatter wil be limited to syncing 4 folders will that be 4 folders of the users choice or just a standard set (i.e. Inbox, Sent Items, Trash, etc). It would be great if I could choose which folders to sync.

Thanks,
    David
    You can choose three folders (inbox is always one of them). I may increase the limit to 8, by the way, though I'll need to do more testing.

Marc
    The single IMAP acct works fine for me but I have about 4 that I would like to access via my T600.
    What about Agendus Pro- it has many and more comperable features. How does it compete?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast