Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every day, around the same time, when I turn on my Treo 600, there is a message that says "Service Connection Progress" - "Canceling...".

At this point, it's frozen and requires a soft reset. I can't even turn it off, and if I don't have a paperclip handy, I have to walk around with a glowing hip until the battery runs out.

Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea what's causing it and how to fix it?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    paper clip?

you could always use the reset tool inside the stylus. try unscrewing the tip.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    do you have it set to automatically check for email or something like that? first step would be to delete any third party sw you've installed.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    My 600 was locking up regularly when it tried to download mail from Cox Webmail. I had it set to check mail every two hours. Apparently, some e-mail message was causing it to lock up. To fix it, I deleted all the new messages in my Webmail inbox via my PC's web browser. That got rid of the offending message and fixed my problem. You should check to see if each of your mail accounts is working properly.

I hope this helps.

Paul
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I see posts about people's Treo locking up. It really would be helpful to know what software was installed on your Treo.

MANY times there's conflicts with other programs.

It's hard to help when people don't offer enough info.
  6.    #6  
    Never knew about the reset tool. I've been complaining to everyone I know about the stylus not fitting into the reset hole as poor engineering. Thanks for the tip.

I am using Sprint Business connect with my personal and corporate email. I can't send outgoing through my optimum online account. I'll try disabling the optimum account to see if that helps. However, I can't accept having to disable my work account since this is the main reason I bought the phone.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know if it worked tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I use SnapperMail and quite a few other 3rd party apps (a bunch of games, MegaClock, AcidImage, a few others). No problems. No lockups. Do you have hacks installed? Or maybe Palm 3 or 4 software?
    Mine does this whenever e-mail software is set up to auto-check, and I walk into a roaming area.

This has definitely happened with Snappermail, several days in a row.

Might have also happened with the PalmOne beta (not as sure about that, can't remember).
    Mine used to do that all the time with the old Snappermail as I had it set to autocheck every hour. Invariably, it was conflicting with something.

The new 1.9.2 version of Snapper seems to have fixed this issue. No hangs so far.
    -former
    I'm having these lockups with 1.9.2.01 Trial version.

Downloaded this week.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by macfreak
    I'm having these lockups with 1.9.2.01 Trial version.

Downloaded this week.
    Do you have a Macintosh? That's probably the problem.
    Very helpful, thanks.
    Originally posted by js24
    Never knew about the reset tool. I've been complaining to everyone I know about the stylus not fitting into the reset hole as poor engineering. Thanks for the tip.

I am using Sprint Business connect with my personal and corporate email. I can't send outgoing through my optimum online account. I'll try disabling the optimum account to see if that helps. However, I can't accept having to disable my work account since this is the main reason I bought the phone.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know if it worked tomorrow.
    js24,

I used to have lockup and blanking issues on my T600. Part of the problem was I upgraded from a former Palm config and quite a few of the former Palm apps were/are incompatible with the new software on the T600. I was asked to perform a hard reset (press letter K and Backspace key and reset button simultaneously...screen blanks...then plug in charger for three seconds) The caveat is this will wipe all data from the Treo and bring it back to plain vanilla state. The thing to do is move any apps from the Archive folder to the AddOn folder BEFORE you Hotsync again. Then re-install your apps (the ones you trust will not crash the Treo) and you should be ok. Worked like a charm.
    I've been having a very similar problem. I get the "Searching for Network" message right in the middle calls, incomming and outgoing. It used to just hang up and say "Signal Faded" or something like that, now it hangs momentarily, then the Searching for Network comes up, and then the wireless resets, causing me to re enter my security code each time this happens. It's been 2 weeks for me and getting really annoying. I happens in places with under 3 bars of service. I dont believe its an application issue because it just started happening recently and I have not installed anything new for the past month.

Any Sprint Technical employees have answers to this issue?
    Whoa, doesnt just holding up and pressing the reset button, waiting for the palm logo, and releasing up do the same thing as the multifinger combo you just said? What does THAT do?
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    Whoa, doesnt just holding up and pressing the reset button, waiting for the palm logo, and releasing up do the same thing as the multifinger combo you just said? What does THAT do?
    You can't turn your Treo 600 on again without plugging it into the charger like you did when you first opened it...
    ~Steve~**Treo 600 replaced Sidekick #17!!**
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    it sets it back to its original state out of the box.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Awesome. Good to know if I need to sell it.
    Originally posted by skidoo
    Do you have a Macintosh? That's probably the problem.
    What the !@#$ does the desktop machine have to do with this? The freeze happens as a result of the auto-check feature in email programs, like several people have already suggested. When your Treo is unable to connect to Vision (either due to roaming or poor PCS reception), the authentication will fail, but the email program will continue to attempt to retrieve mail.

If you were kidding about the Mac, I'm sorry. If not, ask yourself why the Treo would reset randomly when it's not connected to the "offending" Mac?
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by brownievegas

js24,

I used to have lockup and blanking issues on my T600. Part of the problem was I upgraded from a former Palm config and quite a few of the former Palm apps were/are incompatible with the new software on the T600. I was asked to perform a hard reset (press letter K and Backspace key and reset button simultaneously...screen blanks...then plug in charger for three seconds) The caveat is this will wipe all data from the Treo and bring it back to plain vanilla state. The thing to do is move any apps from the Archive folder to the AddOn folder BEFORE you Hotsync again. Then re-install your apps (the ones you trust will not crash the Treo) and you should be ok. Worked like a charm.

Removing the Optimum account didn't help, it happened again today. All of the software I've installed, claims to be compatible with palm 5. I hate when things stop working because you use them the way their meant to be used. However, I'll give this a try, since I'm not sure what's left to do.

The thing that gets me is that this happens just about the same time every day. In fact, it usually works all day long, until the end of the day when I try to make a phone call on my way home from work.

I have the settings on BC set to push mails to me, so it syncs all day long. There are weak signal spots in my building, so maybe it has to do with sync attempts in weak areas as some of you suggested.

But if the problem is that the mail program is continuously attempting to sync, why doesn't it succeed once I move into an area with a signal?

To be honest, I'm suprised there haven't been any other discussions on this topic in the forum. Since it is so persistent and annoying, I would have thought people would have complained enough by now that there would be a patch.

Does anyone know of a BC patch that's available? Do any Sprint engineers monitor this forum?

Thanks for all of your input. If nothing else, at least I have someplace to vent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast