1.    #1  
    I'm a longtime Palm OS PDA user, but I'm new to cell phones. I'm upgrading from my Clie t615 to a Treo 600, taking advantage of Amazon.com's great rebates at this time.

1. My phone is due to ship around January 18-22, according to Amazon. I think I have to have Sprint service setup by January 7 to take advantage of their rebate. Is it possible to setup this account before I have the phone in my hand?

2. Dumb question for all of you experienced guys, but I keep reading about "unlocked" phones. What is that all about?

This is a GREAT site, with lots of activity and helpful folks. I appreciate that everybody keeps it civil around here!

Thanks for your responses.
    Originally posted by Rico3201

2. Dumb question for all of you experienced guys, but I keep reading about "unlocked" phones. What is that all about?

Thanks for your responses.
    My understanding of it, is that the unlocked phones are referring to the gps version, not the CDMA

CDMA is the network sprint and verizon use
  3. NBP
    Only GSM phones can be locked (GSM providers include AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile, & most of Europe and some of Asia). If the phone is locked, then it can only use SIM cards (a tiny chip inside the phone that carriers network/carrier info, amongst other things - think of it as the phone's soul), from the carrier that provided the phone. For instance, if you bought an AT&T GSM phone, you could only use it with AT&T SIM cards. That would include yours, as well as anybody else you uses AT&T's GSM network. So, if your friend also had an AT&T GSM phone, he/she could take the SIM card out of his/her phone, drop it into yours, and then your phone would act just like hers - and no longer like yours. So, if someone dialed her number, your phone would ring for her. If the call went to voicemail, the SIM card lets the network know to transfer that caller into your friend's voicemail, not yours. Once you swap out her SIM card and re-insert yours, the phone is back to acting like yours in every sense.

Now, if your phone is unlocked, then not only could you do the above intra-network (within AT&T), you could also do it inter-network (with Cingular, T-Mobile, bring your phone to Europe and use a network over there).

Make sense?
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by NBP
    Only GSM phones can be locked (GSM providers include AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile, & most of Europe and some of Asia). If the phone is locked, then it can only use SIM cards (a tiny chip inside the phone that carriers network/carrier info, amongst other things - think of it as the phone's soul), from the carrier that provided the phone.

Make sense?

It does, thanks. It also explains "SIM" cards, something I wasn't sure about.

I take it that CDMA (Sprint & Verizon) phones don't have these SIM cards?

And does anybody know if I have to (can?) setup a Sprint account before I get my phone?
    Originally posted by Rico3201
    And does anybody know if I have to (can?) setup a Sprint account before I get my phone?
    You need the ESN number from the phone in order to activate an account. You might try contacting Sprint to verify though...