Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Back with my very first Sound Blaster card I had a piece of software that would read any text aloud. Is this possible on the Treo 600? It has more processing power than my old 386 and better sound processing capabilities.

Imagine if your Treo 600 could read your mail aloud as you drive or the contents of alert boxes.
    Sprint's voice mail service allows this already. I'm not sure if you have Sprint or not but I always listen to my email from yahoo. with this service. It does cost an additional 5.00 per month but it works.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I was thinking more of an application that could run in the background like pTunes. You could press a key and have it read the page aloud from top to bottom. It could also read aloud the contents of alert and dialog boxes.

The practical factors could be enormous such as having it read your email to you or the contents of an article in Blazer while you drive.

You could even listen to the discussions on Treo Central while you put away the dishes.
    Dr. Sbaitso!!!!
    Unfortunately AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $no$ $native$ $TTS$ $apps$ $for$ $PalmOS$...$yet$ $that$ $is$. $If$ $you$ $want$ $that$ $right$ $now$ $you$ $probably$ $have$ $to$ $get$ $a$ $PPC$. $However$, $I$ $think$ $we$ $should$ $see$ $some$ $PalmOS$ $TSS$ $apps$ $soon$ $according$ $to$ $recent$ $reports$ $from$ $Babel$ $Technologies$ $etc$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    hi, your best bet is to email a firm called :
    http://www.cepstral.com/

they have developed software that will turn any text 2 speech. the best part is the program is so small it is easily converted to palm. They have this conversion to palm on their to 2 list emailing them will make it move to the top of the list faster.

ie: any ebook will now become a talking book, using far less space than mp3 talking books or ogg or as customized talking books that you pay a great deal for each book! take care, jay
    I did a quick serach on the internet and found this page on the internet http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html . I was really suprised by how natural the voice sounded compared to computer voices i have heard in the past. It's just a demo, but you can copy and paste text into the box and then hit speak. It will then be copied into your Temporary Internet files so that you can do whatever you want with it. Maybe put it on your Treo?
    Try this...pSpeak
    Originally posted by pvady
    Try this...pSpeak
    Interesting! I'll try it out and report back my experiences...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    What about something in java, since now we could run it...