1.    #1  
    Ok this seems weird to me...

I rushed out and bought a Treo 600 (Sprint/CDMA). All is actually more wonderful that I thought it would be (prior Treo 300 owner).

So after nearly 3 bliss-filled weeks I was disturbed to notice that although people could hear me talk, my speaker was dead. Furthermore, I had to really wrench on my headset cable to be able to get that to work. I took my unit into a Sprint store and they gave me a brand new one, no questions asked.

*NOW* only 10 days later, my new unit is giving the same symptoms -- only I don't have to wrench so hard on my headset jack to get things to work.

I use a headset about 90% of the time so my style isn't too cramped just yet but jeez -- what is going on here?

Anyone else had any trouble like this?
    Originally posted by gusbrown
    Ok this seems weird to me...

I rushed out and bought a Treo 600 (Sprint/CDMA). All is actually more wonderful that I thought it would be (prior Treo 300 owner).

So after nearly 3 bliss-filled weeks I was disturbed to notice that although people could hear me talk, my speaker was dead. Furthermore, I had to really wrench on my headset cable to be able to get that to work. I took my unit into a Sprint store and they gave me a brand new one, no questions asked.

*NOW* only 10 days later, my new unit is giving the same symptoms -- only I don't have to wrench so hard on my headset jack to get things to work.

I use a headset about 90% of the time so my style isn't too cramped just yet but jeez -- what is going on here?

Anyone else had any trouble like this?
    Gus - make sure that you are using a compatible headset for the Treo... there is a microswitch/sensor in the jack that determines if/when a headset is plugged in and furthermore, what type (i.e., stereo headphones for MP3 or mono/mic for Phone). The sensing is done by resistance and activated once the plug is inserted into the jack. If you're headset is not really compatible, I could see something causing a short that permanently does some damage.

L
    Lee Ladisky
  3.    #3  
    I purchased the stereo headset adapter from Handspring for my Treo 600 and I also bought the "Treo High-Performance Headset" from them as well.

I suspect it is something to do with the headset jack too but am very concerned that using nothing but their accessories and treating my handset with lots of care that I am having problems like this.
    I had to take my first Treo 600 (sprint) back and have it replaced after using the Handspring Treo Stereo Headphone Adapter (the $5.99 one). Same problem -the speaker died. Now I'm afraid to use any headsets except the Handspring Treo stereo and phone ones --they go in easily without the need to turn them in the socket.
    Originally posted by Leeladisky

If you're headset is not really compatible, I could see something causing a short that permanently does some damage.
    Could that be the reason why some are reporting excellent callsound quality and some are not? Perhaps their speakers got busted?
  6.    #6  
    My sound/call/mp3 quality is excellent but I have been using nothing but Handspring products with my unit.

I can't find the post on TreoCentral now but I did read in another thread where others were having this trouble and the thought there is that charger/adapter might be giving some trouble. I had two vehicle adpaters for my Treo300 and when I noticed 1) that the Treo 600 didn't come with one and 2) the one Handspring sold was for both the Treo 300 and the Treo 600, I didn't bother to buy another one.
    Hey all,

There have been MANY people on this thread alone with reported handset speaker(next to your ear) as well as plug in speaker failure. According to other threads sometimes you get lucky when you get a new one and sometimes you dont. At first Sprint and handspring was resistant to replacing the units right away until a tremendous amount of failures occured resulting in a lot of returns.

A tech at Handspring (Palm One) told me they are still trying to figure out the exact problem because the speakers have been passing Q/A before shipment.

As Gusbrown stated, there is some preliminary concern that a non-compatible vehicle charger may be causing a short and subsequent speaker failure so those using non-comp T300 vehicle chargers be ware.

One would have thought they would have tested this before release since so many people who purchsed the T600 were prior T300 owners....not very smart....

I am still waiting to recieve my #2.

I wish I had a clue whether the problems were software or hardware. What kills me is that on my latest problem, there wasn't any trauma, and it just looks like a simple jack failure. (See my other post if you're interested.) If there was a way to force sound through the speaker, that would be fine for me.... at least as a short term fix. (There has to be, or the Speakerphone wouldn't work, right?)

I agree with everyone else that the T600 is a wonderful device.... I feel very fortunate to have it... when it works. The idea of a $0.05 component cratering the phone (because a person can't hear it ring) is even more frustrating. I can only imagine how it must be for the people at Palm.

FON
  9.    #9  
    Just back from the Sprint store -- I have to wait for #3 until Monday after 4pm CST.

At first the rep was pretty cool and suspicious seeming. Then another rep pointed something out to him in a 3-ring binder and he changed dramatically. He said he needed to check inventory and added that he'd be right back. He came back about 5 minutes later to explain they had to ship another unit in from another store.

This handset is still useable (so long as I keep my headset plugged in -- unlike my first failure like this, where no amount of plugging and tweaking could make a connection) so at least I am not out without communication.

I am grateful they are standing behind their product but what a hassle! I am now wondering if I should've gotten the Samsung i500...
    what are some ways to test to see if your speaker is really busted?
  11.    #11  
    As Gusbrown stated, there is some preliminary concern that a non-compatible vehicle charger may be causing a short and subsequent speaker failure so those using non-comp T300 vehicle chargers be ware.
    I actually browsed the Sprint store accessories while waiting for the rep to come back and saw they are selling the vehicle power adapter for the Treo 300/600 so I am doubtful that the problem is with my vehicle charger...

If there was a way to force sound through the speaker, that would be fine for me.... at least as a short term fix. (There has to be, or the Speakerphone wouldn't work, right?)
    Does the 600 work in a similar way to the Treo 300 where the 'speaker' phone is simply the main speaker with much more amplification?
    Originally posted by gusbrown
    I actually browsed the Sprint store accessories while waiting for the rep to come back and saw they are selling the vehicle power adapter for the Treo 300/600 so I am doubtful that the problem is with my vehicle charger...

Does the 600 work in a similar way to the Treo 300 where the 'speaker' phone is simply the main speaker with much more amplification?
    No, it uses a different speaker located on the back of the phone.
    I had the opposite problem on my 1st T600 - microphone was broken, so nobody could hear me, but the headset worked fine. Replacement from Handspring has been going strong ever since. I guess every now and then weird things like that happen with these Treos. At least HS is being pretty good about replacing these units.

S
  14.    #14  
    Finally got Treo 600 number 3. Noticed this one carries hardware rev. C -- not 'B' as my previous 2 T6s.

I hope this one has a speaker that lasts.

Also, I installed the demo of Botzam's backup program -- very nice! I was able to restore my old config from my broken phone to my new one using the 512MB SanDisk SD card, in the Sprint store while filling out the paper work. I think I"ll register this application.
    My #2 arrived after 3 weeks of complaining. The speaker so far works well.

My new problem is my alarm features are not reliable. Sometimes they work, most often they do not.....

I will keep you posted on the speaker. My new one is REV C
    My broken speaker saga continues...

In some more recent weirdness, if I use my old Cambridge Soundworks external speakers, the Treo decides that there aren't speakers plugged in, and the internal speaker starts to play. I know it's not a speaker hardware problem... it's gotta be the jack or the way that the OS interprets whether or not a set of external speakers or headphones are plugged in.

I miss hearing my phone ring. <sigh>

FON
    Originally posted by FONMaster
    My broken speaker saga continues...

In some more recent weirdness, if I use my old Cambridge Soundworks external speakers, the Treo decides that there aren't speakers plugged in, and the internal speaker starts to play. I know it's not a speaker hardware problem... it's gotta be the jack or the way that the OS interprets whether or not a set of external speakers or headphones are plugged in.

I miss hearing my phone ring. <sigh>

FON
    Actually, if you do a search you'll find a couple threads (one VERY technical) on this topic (external speakers). The Treo doesn't always recognize external speakers when they're plugged in. Some folks are getting very creative in trying to find a solution to this.