1.    #1  
    Now when I call Handspring they don't even say a few more weeks for T-Mobile they say they don't know if ever. My biggest holdout for sprint is I don't know what SMS function is on sprint. Is it unlimited withthe data? How does it work ? Please explain. I have been a GSM person for years.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    George, i ordered the AT&T model on Monday. T-Mo assured me they would be able to unlock it when it comes in, and i'm hoping that is the case. From what i understand, the Cingular version is already unlocked, you could get one of those and supposedly just pop your SIM in it and it will work.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    I really do not understand why people are willing to leave TMO because they do not offer the 600. Maybe some people are missing the whole concept of the SIM card. If you are holding out to save a few bucks by signing away two years of your life to the provider then so be it, but If you have not figured out that you can buy phones unlocked and use them on any US GSM network then you really need to start reading up on the whole SIM card thing. I know this is not a constructive post but after seeing so many of these types of posts I am beginning to wonder why anyone on TMO who wants a 600 just doesn't go out and get one unlocked. There have been plenty of posts from people using Cingular 600's on the TMO network with no problems so there really should not be an issue.
    I thought long and hard about that topic. I purchase a Cingular 600, put in my Tmo sim card and it worked like a charm. I am glad I jumped on it for 399. Tmo's network and plan (esp data) suit me better than the others. Tmo holdouts...give in!! Just pop in the sim card and enjoy this gadget before its more advanced cousin comes out in a year or two.
    ...I think we're gonna need a bigger boat.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by plessdude
    I really do not understand why people are willing to leave TMO because they do not offer the 600. Maybe some people are missing the whole concept of the SIM card. If you are holding out to save a few bucks by signing away two years of your life to the provider then so be it, but If you have not figured out that you can buy phones unlocked and use them on any US GSM network then you really need to start reading up on the whole SIM card thing. I know this is not a constructive post but after seeing so many of these types of posts I am beginning to wonder why anyone on TMO who wants a 600 just doesn't go out and get one unlocked. There have been plenty of posts from people using Cingular 600's on the TMO network with no problems so there really should not be an issue.
    a few bucks?? try a couple hundred!! i've got my 180g which gives me another hundred off the price. That's why!! maybe you can afford a full price unlocked T600, but i can't and wouldn't pay full price anyway. i wish i'd known what i know now and would have gotten a cingular version. i'll just have to take my chances with the AT&T version that T-Mo has said can be unlocked.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    I'll tell you why I'm considering leaving T-Mo. I'm sick of being told lies and kept in limbo about T600 support and availability. I totally understand the SIM card concept, but as it stands now, I'm in a position where I may never be able to take advantage of Handspring's "loyalty discount" and I blame T-Mo for it!

Both my wife and I are T180 owners. I recently replaced hers after the lid broke. The replacement broke this morning. Rather than replace it with a third, I'd like to make the move to the 600 so that we won't have that problem again. I delayed gratification mostly because I was too cheap to spend the big bucks on the T600, but the prospect of shelling out another 80-100 bucks to replace her T180 with the possiblity of it breaking in a month (like last time) really leaves me with cause for concern.

I suppose I should have jumped at the Cingular and AT&T offers when they were available, but the "promise" of a T-Mo offer has kept me hanging on. As it stands now, that promise could possibly go unfulfilled if George is to be believed.

We can either wait and pay $798 for for a pair of T600s w/ T-Mo/Handspring "loyalty discounts" that Handspring admits may never even happen, or go for a sure thing and pay only $500 or $600 if we both switch with the Amazon/Sprint deal and sign contracts. While I appreciate the advantages of GSM over CDMA, the economics of the situation compel me to give Sprint a look.

I'm really pissed off at T-Mo. No communication from them on the T-600 whatsoever! Nothing but excuses! My wife and I sometimes spend over $200 a month with them. I've totally lost my patience. Understand that I'm actually willing to pay up to $300 more for a pair of T600s to stick with GSM and their service (which has been exemplary in my opinion) but I don't see any alternative. I've heard stories of people getting unlocked GSM units from Handspring directly, but it's unclear if they received the $399 price. If so I may go that route (no thanks to T-Mo!) even then I'm not going to be particularly happy about it.

Frankly, T-Mo deserves to lose my business over this. Problem is I like GSM too much and don't want to get strapped with another contract. Their data service pricing makes more sense than any other GSM provider out there, but Sprint's speed and pricing is better still. I'm to the point where I might end up making a purely economic decision and switch just to spite them. That's not something I want to do.

I'm left with the opinion T-Mo does not value Treo owners as customers.
    For me, I'm waiting for the T-mobile T600 because I missed the $399 deal for the unlock cingular one. I refuse to pay the extra $200 for a cingular unlocked one. So I'm just waiting it out. Even though I wish there was a way I could get a sidekick without the extra contract. But anyway, I've waited 2 months for this phone, whats another month right? My limit for any phone is $500. I can't see myself dropping more than a half of grand on a cell phone.
    Originally posted by echaban
    I'll tell you why I'm considering leaving T-Mo. I'm sick of being told lies and kept in limbo about T600 support and availability. I totally understand the SIM card concept, but as it stands now, I'm in a position where I may never be able to take advantage of Handspring's "loyalty discount" and I blame T-Mo for it!
    Frankly, T-Mo deserves to lose my business over this. Problem is I like GSM too much and don't want to get strapped with another contract. Their data service pricing makes more sense than any other GSM provider out there, but Sprint's speed and pricing is better still. I'm to the point where I might end up making a purely economic decision and switch just to spite them. That's not something I want to do.

I'm left with the opinion T-Mo does not value Treo owners as customers.
    I'll second that!!!!!

The thing that I have yet to hear anyone (that has the Cing T600 with a T-Mo SIM) address is the issue of where they expect to get support for their T600 when they need it. They can't call Cingular because they are not a Cing customer. They cant call T-Mo because T-Mo has nothing to do with the T600 that they bought. And..... As I understand it, Handspring/PalmOne is not doing the support, they are expecting the customers to go directly to the carrier for support.

Where do you all expect to get support from when you need it? Could some one please explain this to me? Am I missing something? Having been a Treo user sine the first day the T180 was released, and reading the posts on this and other Treo Discussion Groups, I can tell you that you WILL need support for your Treo at some point.

Thanks
    I'd certainly prefer to wait it out as well, but the sorry fact is that there is NO GUARANTEE THE DISCOUNT WILL BE AVAILABLE!
    we're totally at the mercy of T-Mo and Handspring at this point.

I just took some epoxy to the wife's T180. I'm hoping it will get us through till T-Mo discount arrives

IF it arrives that is.....

GRRRR!!!!!

Truth be told, If Sprint had a working SMS available, one or both of us would be there already with the Amazon rebate.
  10.    #10  
    I have 4 coupons for the "discounted deal" but the carrier of my choice never arrived, the cingular deal came and went. Handspring says $700 for that unlocked GSM phone now from cingular. T-Mobile deal NEVER shows up, that is why I am leaving, I'm not in a contract and have waited and waited for that roll-out. I'm thinking it is not going to happen at all now, because HS sounds not promising about it. On plans, I get 25% off corperate discount on sprint 15% off AT&T nothing on T-Mobile. AT&T data is spendy, sounds risky to think AT&T phone would be unlocked. So sprint is clearly the price performer, just don't know how the SMS message part works.

So I would like to get back to the actual thread topic I had hoped to learn, what is this SMS (like) function on sprint, and how much does it cost? Is it just baked into the unlimited data ?
    Last edited by george_vc; 12/18/2003 at 12:13 AM.
    My company also has deals with Sprint and AT&T. Does the discount apply to rates only or does it apply to the equipment itself?

My understanding is that there is no SMS on Sprint yet. Supposed to have been there by November. Rumor now is that now it will be March.

Check out this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...light=SMS.html
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by echaban
    My company also has deals with Sprint and AT&T. Does the discount apply to rates only or does it apply to the equipment itself?
    My company has negotiated deals on discount of plans not hardware. But still AT&T data is spendy, cingular and T-Mobile not available so sprint is the only option, but looks like the SMS deal still is broke with sprint. Need to research TREO600SMS app
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by plessdude
    If you are holding out to save a few bucks by signing away two years of your life to the provider then so be it, but If you have not figured out that you can buy phones unlocked and use them on any US GSM network then you really need to start reading up on the whole SIM card thing.
    I've been using GSM technology products for years ! It's not an education thing about sim swapping and compatibility, it's a $700 for an unlocked phone thing when we were promised a discount as loyal customers.
    Last edited by george_vc; 12/18/2003 at 08:40 AM.
    George,

Not the answer you are looking for, but Sprint SMS isn't SMS. At least not yet. They have been promising true SMS for a couple of months, and last I heard it should be available next month.

Sprint calls their current SMS short mail, and unless you get a program (treo SMS (I think)), you have to read it on the web.

I don't know about cost, but some sprint user are worried that when the true SMS comes out it will be a seperate charge and not included in their unlimited plan.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.