1.    #1  
    I'm have internet service with roadrunner in austin and I'm trying to be able to retrieve my mail using my treo 600. I have handspring mail configured and I can use it without any problem to get my mail from my work POP server. I'm trying to get my email from roadrunner, but I haven't been successfull.

I have it configured for pop-server.austin.rr.com as the incoming server, and it says I'm connecting (not getting authentication error) but it doesn't download any email (and I know I have some). On the outgoing, it's getting an error connecting to the SMTP server.

My assumption is that I can only get to those servers from inside the network, but is there another way?

Thanks...
    Receiving mail from Roadrunner is no problem, you just cannot send email using their server.

My settings are something like:

incoming mail - pop3 - pop-server.hawaii.rr.com

make sure the username/password are correct.

Outgoing mail - I use yahoo or sprint.

I have no options in the "more" area checked for the esrver settings - just the defaults.

Ben

Originally posted by stecz
    I'm have internet service with roadrunner in austin and I'm trying to be able to retrieve my mail using my treo 600. I have handspring mail configured and I can use it without any problem to get my mail from my work POP server. I'm trying to get my email from roadrunner, but I haven't been successfull.

I have it configured for pop-server.austin.rr.com as the incoming server, and it says I'm connecting (not getting authentication error) but it doesn't download any email (and I know I have some). On the outgoing, it's getting an error connecting to the SMTP server.

My assumption is that I can only get to those servers from inside the network, but is there another way?

Thanks...
    I'm from Austin too, but in Shanghai right now. I have mine set for
    my RR user name and password
    pop-server.austin.rr.com
    smtp.sprintpcs.com
    leave on mail server is cheked
    and for the outgoinf mailserver user name and password, I use my PCS one.

Can you get any mail at all from any other service or server? You may need to confifure your PCS mail from their website and make sure you use your vision password for the outgoing server.

Is it configures for PCS mail too? Can you get your PCS mail
  4.    #4  
    I got the incoming mail working... but I guess I need a solution for outgoing. Do any of the free mail services allow me to use their smtp server for outgoing?

I tried using my work smtp server, but it's choking... I guess I need to talk to the IT folks. The problem is that I don't have any diags except a login failure, so it's tough to figure out...
    The problem is in a nutshell, spam.

To explain, spammers love to find whats called an Open-Relay. This is basically an SMTP server which is available for anyone to use, (usually set up improperly or the owner doesnt know they have it). It allows them to send mail and basically blame it on somebody else

SMTP servers can use a number of different authentications, though the SMTP protocol itself doesn't usually have any authentication built in. RoadRunner for example restricts users of their SMTP server to those with Roadrunner IP addresses (users connected to their network).

Another popular method is POP before SMTP which requires you to check your incoming mail (and thereby sending your username and password) before sending outgoing mail. Yet Another method restricts use based on the From line, for instance yahoo mail might only accept mail from addresses @yahoo.com

In this case, your best bet is to use the sprint SMTP servers if possible.
    Pete
  6.    #6  
    So, I need to get my sprintpcs password so I can use that to access the smtp server, correct?

It's a corporate account, so that will be a little bit of work...
    Probably not,

Sprint probably has their SMTP servers available for anyone on their network. You shouldn't need a password or anything. (By default SMTP doesnt require a password, which is the "Open-Relay" problem requiring the server to be restricted to users on the network)
    Pete
    You need your Vision password
    I use my roadrunner account in Memphis, Tn. with no problems. But i use sprint's smtp for outgoing mail. The only thing i have an issue with is sometimes it shows my outgoing mail as coming from my phone number so some people did not know how to respond to my emails. What I did in Snapper is add my signature, which includes my name and email address, to all of my outgoing mail.
    I contacted roadrunner folks in NC to try to get a smpt server address that would work for my corporate mail. The address on their website does not allow sending mail from the Treo. They do not have any other server address. Has anyone found an acceptable/willing server?

PS I also tried Cingular. They do not provide any server.
    Most Roadrunner sites do not allow use of their SMTP server for off-system use. So, you might try Yahoo! - I use Yahoo and Sprint for outgoing mail and prefer Yahoo, as it is faster and more reliable. Using Yahoo means paid access though.

Ben

-------------------------

Originally posted by johnkav
    I contacted roadrunner folks in NC to try to get a smpt server address that would work for my corporate mail. The address on their website does not allow sending mail from the Treo. They do not have any other server address. Has anyone found an acceptable/willing server?

PS I also tried Cingular. They do not provide any server.
    I use yahoo for personal mail. However, yahoo does not allow me to send and receive my corporate mail.
    And that's probably 'cause you're using a "from address" that is not the Yahoo one.... Can you just change the from and to a Yahoo address and the bcc a copy to your corporate mail? Otherwise, you are stuck by the corporate system's inability to play fair.

Ben

Originally posted by johnkav
    I use yahoo for personal mail. However, yahoo does not allow me to send and receive my corporate mail.
  14.    #14  
    I got it working... since I'm on a corporate account, I didn't know my pcsvision password. I got the password setup and now I can send email out using the sprint SMTP server...

Problem solved.