1.    #1  
    When I get a call from someone in my Contacts list, I would like the ring to play the person's initials in Morse code. So, if John Smith calls I would here dit dah dah dah / dit dit dit.

I know I can do this by laboriously creating a midi file for each person, but I'm looking to do it automtically, and dynamically as the Contacts list changes.

BTW, I got this idea when listening to someone receiving an SMS message at the airport. Her phone played dit dit dit / dah dah / dit dit dit to alert her. When I commented on it, it was clear that she had no idea what that meant.

- Charle (WA2ZGP, once)
  2.    #2  
    Forget to mention the best part: This should also work for vibrate alerts, so I can tell by feel who's calling during times when silence is appropriate.
    Sounds great! Please post when you have a working copy.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    I used the site posted by another user on here to create a bunch of midi's. Not really what you're looking for, but it's an interim solution, and easier than creating the midi's totally by hand.

http://www.panix.com/~jens/morse.par
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the site reference. But when I went there it just played the code for "HELLO WORLD." no matter what I typed.
    Originally posted by cbrenner
    Thanks for the site reference. But when I went there it just played the code for "HELLO WORLD." no matter what I typed.
    Really? I just tried it, and it works for me. looking at the source it does hello world if it has no input. The form field is actually named "input" which I could see causing a problem with some browsers.. maybe you should try a difference browser? (I'm using galeon on linux, fyi)
    That's really cool, but when I try to download it directly on my Treo it says that file type is not supported. Bummer. I need one of those pesky converter/manager dealies don't I?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  8.    #8  
    Changing to a non-firewalled computer did the trick. There must be something odd about the for he's using.

This is a great alternative to figuring it out manually, but it still doesn't get me very close to the automatic process (and the silent-mode feature) I described in the original post.

I guess there isn't much mass market appeal for a Morse code solution. Maybe I should be looking for a text-to-speech solution instead: The "Ring tone" could be the person's name.
    This would be cool and would force me to learn Morse code...
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    This would be cool and would force me to learn Morse code...
    That was part of my motivation. I even setup my default ring tone to be the morse code for "RING"
    My goodness you people are geeks...

Best,
    --Mathew

...and I thought I was bad...
  12.    #12  
    Geeks and proud of it! Long before there was an Internet to play with, there was ham radio. I was talking and exchanging text messages -free!- with people all over the world in the 1950's, when international phone calls cost $10 a minute. Although a few of us had TeleTypes, for the most part it was done with Morse code.

The vibrator in a cell phone is very much equivalent to a Continuous Wave radio signal ... it's either on or off, and its only attribute is length. So it's natural to apply the ancient technology of Morse code to turn that simple signal into intelligible text. The great payoff is the ability to receive a message entirely through the sense of touch, without breaking concentration from visual tasks and without disturbing those around you.

The only drawback is that it takes a lot of practice to learn to do it at acceptable speeds. However, that's not much of a consideration if all you're receiving is a two or three letter set of initials.

Now, who's going to write the program?