1.    #1  
    Advantages of the Treo 600 over the P800/900

More standard memory...

SDIO Slot...

Comes in CDMA and GSM flavors...

GSM Quad Band...

Can handle more than 128 Meg memory cards...

Multiple Email Clients Available...

Truly skinnable MP3 player with way more features...

Ability to edit Documents...

Syncs WAAY faster...

Program installations are much faster...

More games available...

Email client doesn't choke on HTML messages...

Essential files such as phone favorites and web favorites are easily backed up...

Thumboard...

Much better "phone integration"...

Much better PIM...

Ability to ZIP/Unzip files using 3rd party app...

What the P800/P900 has over the Treo

Video Recording...

Ability to record voice memos...

Both are gorgeous...

Better camera IMO...

Native video and audio player...

Bluetooth...

Better connectivity...almost anything can be send via sms, mms, bluetooth, ir, email...

LOUDER SPEAKER FOR RING TONES!! CAN YOU HEAR ME HANDSPRING!? The Treo 600 just plain *** sucks playing ringtones. Just about ANY custom midi's are barely loud enough to hear, much less notice it when my phone it in it's sleeve.

ABILITY TO PLAY WAV FILES FOR RINGTONES!

JOG DIAL!
    Last edited by AfroCreame; 12/17/2003 at 10:45 AM.

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    Don't forget that the Treo 600 is Quad band vs. Px00 tri band.

But the memory cost is the killer.

If you have 2gb of memory the Px00 will cost you a thousand dollars more!

Plus about 10,000 more apps are available for the Treo

I'm guessing Handspring claim ringtones are low in volume so as not to be done for health and safety lawsuits over 'My phone made me deaf'.

However, using the 'LOUD PHONE' ring is fine for me. That ringtone is plenty loud

We should have a hack that allows louder ringer tones thru the speaker only though.
    So I guess you can take the money you saved on the P900 memory and buy some of these 10,000 more apps that are available for the Treo?

Who needs 2 gig of memory for a phone? (This is a loaded question b/c I know some of you out there actually do have 2 gigs worth of stuff on SD cards.) But still, this is the exception not the rule.

I have owned the Treo600 which I am selling b/c I decided to buy a P900. The lack of bluetooth and the less than impressive display on the Treo600 are two of the biggest reasons I switched to the P900. I am very satisfied with the P900 and I didn't exactly hate the Treo600.

Originally posted by Cyril
    Don't forget that the Treo 600 is Quad band vs. Px00 tri band.

But the memory cost is the killer.

If you have 2gb of memory the Px00 will cost you a thousand dollars more!

Plus about 10,000 more apps are available for the Treo
    Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    Yes, we can buy some of those 10,000 apps (lost count how many I have bought in the last 7-8 years) and add a few dozen movies and several hundred albums of mp3s
    I have owned both the P800 and Treo 600. The biggest difference for me is the battery life. Under my useage, the P800 lasted barely one day of use Under the same useage pattern, the Treo lasts 2-3 days. It was annoying for me to always be worried about my battery life when using the P800. Sometimes I would not check email, etc for fear of running out of battery if I knew I would not be able to charge until the end of the day. This is the price you pay for the bigger screen on the P800, it really goes thru the battery quick! Not to mention that having BlueTooth on all the time sucked down the battery even faster.
    For me, this was the deal breaker and the main reason I now use the Treo 600 as my main phone.
    The ability to use wav files as ringtones is the only thing I miss...
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by jskier
    I have owned both the P800 and Treo 600. The biggest difference for me is the battery life.
    I hope you're talking about the better battery life on the GSM Treo 600, cause the Sprint one isn't the best...

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    I still get great battery usage on the Sprint, but I guess it's all relative.
    After saying goodbye to my Psion 5mx, I got into Palm. Boy did I miss Symbian! But having spent some years with Palm OS I have come to love it. The P800 was too expensive for me, and I could not justify it at the time. But I remain curious about Symbian OS 7.xx. I don't get the feeling it has anything on my much beloved OS 5.xx. I have since invested too much in the Palm OS to give it up. The P900 seems very nice, but the Treo 600 came out before it, and meant I could keep all my apps, use the wireless keyboard and I've become comfortable with it. So I guess my point is, it's not so much Symbian vs Palm with me, but cost and starting out with something new. Having to get new apps to match the ones I have now. It took me long enough to make me to get Palm OS to do the things Symbian 5.xx let me! For now, the Treo 600 does what I need it to do and then some, I guess the Pxx also could have. But I do love the keyboard and all the apps I paid $ for still work well-ah! I do love my Treo, but I'd love to have a decent play with a Pxx!
    Originally posted by AfroCreame
    Advantages of the Treo 600 over the P800/900 (snip)

What the P800/P900 has over the Treo (snip)

One thing you left out: the P900 has much better construction and quality control (based on the units I've seen) than the Treo 600. People that don't have any investment in Palm apps will find it a tempting choice once the prices come down. Another plus for the P900 is the Opera browser on Symbian.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

One thing you left out: the P900 has much better construction and quality control (based on the units I've seen). Another plus for the P900 is the Opera browser on Symbian.
    What about the creaking battery covers on the P800? Or the squeaks and creaks on the P900 case? I agree that Opera is a fine web browser, but I like the ability to easyily backup my favorites on my phone, and the interface is much better on Web/Blazer.

Native video and audio player...
    Well, MMplayer does support native file types so I'm not sure this exactly an advantage. Furthermore, PTune and the form have native suport for various audio types...

JOG DIAL!
    I agree, the jog dial is one the features I miss from my Treo300. However, I think everyone should realize the reasons behind the ommision on the Treo600. From my recollection, HS and Palm ommitted the Jog dial from the Treo as part of the settlement they made with RIM (i.e. LIM or lawsuits in motion) regarding alleged patent infringements on the BB. Apparently RIM sited the funtionality of the jog dial on the BB as unique and patented technology that differentiated their product. I believe HS agreed to remove the jog dial as part of this settlement in order to avoid future litigation. Of course this was all before the whole NTP fiasco...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by unixmonkey
    I have owned the Treo600 which I am selling b/c I decided to buy a P900. The lack of bluetooth and the less than impressive display on the Treo600 are two of the biggest reasons I switched to the P900. I am very satisfied with the P900 and I didn't exactly hate the Treo600.

I am currently looking at the P900. I use a Blackberry at work mainly for email and limited web surfing. I am looking for a better device and have sat on the sidelines with the Treo 600 mainly because T-Mobile dragged their feet. My Blackberry and other phone are through T-Mobile.....How has your experience been with the P900? Any thoughts - good or bad versus the Treo 600?

How does bluetooth work for you - I will want to synch wirelessly at work....

THANKS!
    jeff
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I've owned the P800 for about 8 months, and just purchased a GSM Treo 600 a little over a week ago. The P800 is a fine, fine, phone/device, but the Treo wins in my book.

I love Opera, and the large screen on the P800; but for me, that phone is simply too awkward to use. Until recently with the use of Handy Day 2004 (a utility and PIM application for UIQ), there was simply no way of using the P800 with one hand...you had to use the stylus (which is a joke) way too much. The fonts were very nice on the screen, but they were too small to even use your fingernail as a stylus for one-hand use.

Because of the lack of a cursor pad/button, game play on a P800/900 is very difficult; again, you have to use the stylus or use your fingers on the screen for that use. Quickword is the only app for Office file editing, and it is very buggy and not very reliable.

I just feel like the Treo is a more polished device for phone and software use...what true convergence should be. It's so damn simple, reliable, and handy...with awesome battery life so far.
    It's funny to see so much on the P900 here lately. I've had a Treo 600 for three months now and been using a P900 for the last week. I had a P800 for about two months several months ago.

The Treo is really the only device that "gets it" in terms of usage model. They got the form factor and the use the d-pad spot on with it. In multi-media terms, though I think the P900 is significantly better than the P800 I had, and wipes the Treo all over the floor.

You want native support of JPEGs, MP4 videos, WAVE, and MP3 audio? The P900 does this in both ram and memory stick (yes, the Treo is better here with an SD card). Even Palm OS Cobalt doesn't seem like it will change the ability to have these files in RAM, only on a card. You can want seamless multitasking now? The P900 has it. The list goes on with the fundamental superior architecture. I can have MP3 ringtone and pictures assigned to each contact. I can have a contact with home and work addresses and multiple email address (still not supported in Palm OS).

But the Treo really is best for ease of use and the seamless integration of hardware and software. Personally, I don't know which is "best". After a week I'm still switching between them. I want the form factor and ease of use the Treo, but with the capabilities of the P900.

I will say this though. Palmone really really needs to get moving on better modern features if they really want a bigger audience. I got an inexpensive phone for my wife this week, a T-Mobile branded Motorola V300. Smaller physical screen than the Treo, but 176x220 pixels, very very bright and colorful. Triband GSM, MP3 ringtone, address book with pictures and individual ringtones, lots of built-in "cool" graphics and animation, and of course camera (equal to the Treo capacity, better in quality). $150. There is no way the Treo is going to appeal to the average phone user over something like this.
    Last edited by bcaslis; 02/15/2004 at 01:51 AM.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I am glad people are stepping up to the plate and comparing.

Left to their own devices, the Treo people would leave it at low res 160 x 160, no wifi, no BT and no voice recorder for years.

The fact that the competition will make them look ridiculous is great, and will force them to move the Treo 600 into an even more amazing device!

Without the competition making them look aged, they'd stay where they are.

I can't wait for hi res and voice recorder on the Treo!