1.    #1  
    Everybody is all about the legal download of music these days. What options are available for us Treo 600 users? None of the formats with digital rights management seem to be supported. I was going to buy music through MusicMatch, but that uses WMA and iTunes uses AAC and only works with iPods. I know there are other pay per download services out there, but how big are their music libraries and do they use a Treo friendly file format? What does everyone else use?
    If you use the iTunes music store, it will download in AAC format, but within iTunes you can convert them to MP3, which you can play on your treo using pocketunes, for example. You could probably convert files of any type to MP3, but it's real easy to do with iTunes, and I like the iTunes store better anyway
    Originally posted by Sitnah7
    within iTunes you can convert them to MP3, which you can play on your treo using pocketunes, for example. You could probably convert files of any type to MP3, but it's real easy to do with iTunes
    I gave it a shot and downloaded a song in iTunes. I didnt expect it to work but it was only a dollar. Granted I have not spent a lot of time trying but I keep getting a message saying protected files cant be converted. I also read on the iTunes site that 'most' players will handle their format. This fits within my understanding of these sites. They sell protected format music. We would need a player that can handle their formats in order to use them.

Now back to the question. Is there a player (or one in the works) that will work with the pay sites?
    I've been using ITunes for some time now, but I've never been able to convert a file from ITunes directly to MP3. I use ITunes for Windows and the files are downloaded in AAC format. I've never seen a place in the player to make a straight conversion to MP3. If anyone as gone straight from AAC (m4p) to MP3 using ITunes please let me know how.

I've always had to burn my tracks to CD, which I always do anyway. Then rip the CD to MP3s. Then I just load those MP3s onto SD cards and play with PocketTunes. After you purchase the track it is legal Fair Use for you to do that.
    musicmatch wma songs work with my treo & ptunes
  6.    #6  
    Since when does PocketTunes support WMA? It doesn't work on my T600.
    I downloaded music for 99 cents from musicmatch and then with their software moved the songs to my 256 meg card. p-tunes plays the music on my treo 600. it works. perhaps when musicmatch transfers the songs to the card, the songs get converted to mp3?
    I have played with both iTunes and Musicmatch and neither easily does what you claim. Not saying it doesn't work for you just that I don't see it. I would appreciate some more info about what settings you use, what commands with menu options etc.

I would be pleasantly surprised to find that this works actually. Surprised because it would completely negate all the work the companies have done to create protected formats.

I hope someone quickly releases a palm player that will handle these formats.
    I can use some help also downloaded music match and purchased a song for .99 but cannot transfer it to my treo any help will be appreciated

fred
    mea culpa!

I am totally wrong. I mixed up which songs I had purchased with the ones I ripped. You all are correct WMA would not synch with treo 600.

I bet if you burned the WMA songs onto a CD as mp3s and then ripped them back into musicmatch, then it would work. Probably not a workable solution if you have a huge wma collections.

Again, my apologies!