1.    #1  
    Anyone heard of any news about Bluetooth SD's being compatible with T600?
    Originally posted by stynos
    Anyone heard of any news about Bluetooth SD's being compatible with T600?
    No, there aren't any. If you do a search you'll find a ton of threads about this. Basically, there are Bluetooth SD cards but no one's written Palm OS5 drivers so it won't work on any OS5 device, including the Treo 600.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

No, there aren't any. If you do a search you'll find a ton of threads about this. Basically, there are Bluetooth SD cards but no one's written Palm OS5 drivers so it won't work on any OS5 device, including the Treo 600.
    I will need SD bluetooth with a HANDS FREE profile, not just data or headset profile so I can pair it with my car.

LOTS of new cars are coming bluetooth ready, and this is a necessary thing now.

Mike
    yes, but adding profiles makes bluetooth more expensive.

there's serial, networking, headset, hands-free, printing, and others.

problem is, bluetooth is licensed piecemeal, so adding profiles ads cost.

i would expect an SD bt card to only have a few of the desired profiles.
    Originally posted by steven975
    yes, but adding profiles makes bluetooth more expensive.

there's serial, networking, headset, hands-free, printing, and others.

problem is, bluetooth is licensed piecemeal, so adding profiles ads cost.

i would expect an SD bt card to only have a few of the desired profiles.
    Well since it is a PHONE, I would expect at least HEADSET (to use a headset) and HANDSFREE (to use the phone hands free).

Printing is nice also... but those two are the main ones that have true application use with the phone
    OK guys, I'm a little confused.

Are we saying that this

http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/...0010&listing=1

won't work with any OS5 machines?

I have the bluetooth car issue as well.

Cheers

Paul
    Originally posted by paulpenny
    OK guys, I'm a little confused.

Are we saying that this

http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/...0010&listing=1

won't work with any OS5 machines?

I have the bluetooth car issue as well.

Cheers

Paul
    Click the "specifications" tab on that link you posted. It says right there that it is "Not compatible with Palm OS Handhelds featuring Palm OS 5 and above".
    COMPATIBLE WITH:
    Palm™ m125 Handheld
    Palm™ m130 Handheld
    Palm™ m500 Handheld
    Palm™ m505 Handheld
    Palm™ m515 Handheld
    Palm™ i705 Handheld

I don't believe any of these are OS5 but I could be wrong as I'm not familar with the old Palm models.
    Originally posted by jennyfur

Click the "specifications" tab on that link you posted. It says right there that it is "Not compatible with Palm OS Handhelds featuring Palm OS 5 and above".
    Thanks.

I couldn't see for looking!

Paul
    I keep reading that Palm/PalmOne/Palmsource haven't released O/S 5 Bluetooth drivers, yet all the new Tungsten devices have Bluetooth and run O/S 5.

Is this just a case of not releasing the software in an add-on form or are there more technical issues at hand?

If this is a repeat I apologize.
    Had it from when I used an M505 and a T68i as my way to get email on my palm....

No it wont work with the Treo, causes a hard reset.

Emailed Palm, they don’t plan to write drivers so were f$%^%#!

Also the reason BT works on other Tungsten devices, is because its native to the device, and not an add in that requires a driver.

This card will work fine with OS 5 if only there was a driver. Sadly there is not

Originally posted by Ivo
    I keep reading that Palm/PalmOne/Palmsource haven't released O/S 5 Bluetooth drivers, yet all the new Tungsten devices have Bluetooth and run O/S 5.

Is this just a case of not releasing the software in an add-on form or are there more technical issues at hand?

If this is a repeat I apologize.
    The drivers don't exist for Bluetooth SD cards. Yes there are PDA's with OS5 and Bluetooth, but it's integrated. The hold up has been with drivers for the SD card, not Bluetooth in general.
    Basically PalmOne is being an *****.
    They definitely have the BT drivers working under OS5 (Tungsten Ts).
    It's just an option of porting them to work through SDIO.

The MAIN reason they are not doing so:-
    A BT SDIO will eat into sales of their flagship product, the Tungsten T series. Why?

The attractiveness of the Tungsten T line is that it is OS5, and it has BT. If PalmOne were to release a BT SDIO, what would prevent consumers from buying a Tungsten E + BT SD (which overall would be cheaper)?
    Universal Connector? Not enough 'killer' accessories to sway your buck.
    Slider Mechanism? Jury's still not out on this; personally I reckon thickness has more of an impact on the device's pocketability. Remember, the 4.5-yr old Vx is still widely considered the BEST form factor ever and we all know how slim it was.

Also, if you visit PalmOne's website, you can see the market positioning their products take. They are clearly saying if you want GSM/GPRS go for the Tungsten W or Treo. Want BT? Go for the TT. Want Wi-Fi? TC's what you want.

Now, that is not saying they won't release a BT SD card, but it seems highly unlikely. More probably, once they realise that there is a huge demand for BT inclusion in their non-BT products (which they would've by now) they would rather release an 'updated' version of the device with BT slapped in and other minimal upgrades and market it as a major must-have device. That is how PalmOne (and previously Palm) work. You only have to look at the Palm Vs and Vxs, m505s and m515s, etc.

That being said, I would probably be one of the first to rush out and purchase the next Treo which will have a high-res screen, 64MB RAM and inbuilt Bluetooth.
    Last edited by rudychow; 12/21/2003 at 08:50 AM.
    Well said, RudyChow! Me too, holding my breath for a unit that's one-hand operatable with BT. For now, my SE T610 does quite well for me.
    I meant I no longer think about getting a Treo 600 for now and hoping for a BT SD card. As RudyChow said, PalmOne might never let such a card or driver out to protect the sales of their units with built-in BT. Make sense for a company like Palm.