1.    #1  
    I just got a new 600 and the speaker doesn't seem nearly as good as that of my 180. Is it just my 600, or is that true generally? It sounds sort of like someone is talking into a tin can and is not as loud as the 180 gets. It also vibrates since the speaker is on the back.

And, I just loaded an mp3 and tried to play it on pocket tunes. It says the song is playing, but there's no sound. I don't have a headset to fit the Treo yet, but I thought it would play thru the speaker.
    I have the GSM version of the Treo 600. First of all, I make the call, pick speaker phone, and I lay it on the table face first to prevent the audio to vibrate with the table and the speaker is plenty loud. The mic is near the bottom of the keyboard which is offset more to the rear of the phone which makes this an ideal position to use the speaker phone optimally. I hear the intended caller quite loud and clear but whenever I speak from a distance of more than a foot, my voice echoes like crazy on the receiver's end. This has happened many times and is basically a characteristics plagued on GSM users. Overall, the smartphone is generally awesome and very well to my liking.
    "What good is a smartphone when it's MORE smart and LESS phone?"
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by vespa5
    I have the GSM version of the Treo 600. First of all, I make the call, pick speaker phone, and I lay it on the table face first to prevent the audio to vibrate with the table and the speaker is plenty loud. The mic is near the bottom of the keyboard which is offset more to the rear of the phone which makes this an ideal position to use the speaker phone optimally. I hear the intended caller quite loud and clear but whenever I speak from a distance of more than a foot, my voice echoes like crazy on the receiver's end. This has happened many times and is basically a characteristics plagued on GSM users. Overall, the smartphone is generally awesome and very well to my liking.
    I have the Sprint version. Speaker is plenty loud (even while driving my '99 4Runner), and no one complains of echoes, even when the phone is sitting (face down) on my passenger seat while I'm driving.
  4.    #4  
    I'm using GPRS - Cingular. I guess my biggest complaint with the sound is that there's a lot of hissing on the speaker. I have to turn it way up to hear and then the hissing sound is really bad. I had a lot of complaints about my 180, but the speaker was very good.
    skidoo wrote: "I have the Sprint version. Speaker is plenty loud (even while driving my '99 4Runner), and no one complains of echoes, even when the phone is sitting (face down) on my passenger seat while I'm driving."

Wow, that's pretty good performance coming from the CDMA version of the Treo 600! I tried using speaker phone while driving and it was an echoey mess on the receiver's end. Oh hum, GSM GSM GSM.
    "What good is a smartphone when it's MORE smart and LESS phone?"
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by vespa5
    Wow, that's pretty good performance coming from the CDMA version of the Treo 600! I tried using speaker phone while driving and it was an echoey mess on the receiver's end. Oh hum, GSM GSM GSM.
    Maybe you had a bad phone??
    I've had very good success w/ the speaker & mic on my Sprint T600. The speakerphone is loud enough and generally pretty clear, and works well when placed faced down as other folks have mentioned.

The mic pics things up very well from 2 to 3 feet (or more) away if surroundings are relatively quiet. Sometimes I'll use stereo headphones that don't have the built in mic, so I set the phone down on a table about 3 feet away and the phone's mic works great - and the stereo headphones (a cheapo set that I use through the jack adapter) are far better than the stock one-ear headphone in both sound quality and, well, the fact that you've got both ears covered!