1.    #1  
    So, as most of you did, I got my treo 600 and one of the first things I did was to download a bunch of e-mail programs to see which will fit me best. Here is my review to date:

Guidelines:
    * I just downloaded them about a week ago so they should be in their latest versions
    * I don't care much about the desktop sync, I have a standard POP3/IMAP account which I want to retrieve messages from wirelessly
    * Auto retrieve is most important to me
    * Cingular phone, T-mobile sim...

- Aileron : started as my personal favorite. Easy to use, nice clean screen and useful setting. But when it started hanging to the point of me needed to do a hard reset (first time for my treo), each time that I wanted to save an attachment (happened with a PRC file and an XLS file - repeatedly). This was the end of that and I deleted the application...

- BaseJet : great software! Really nice screen layout, probably the best in that aspect. Auto retrieve worked great, everything was cool until I encountered a problem with attachments. no, no hard resets here, just didn't integrated well with doc to go for the office documents and the PRC was not supported and directed me to a preference options that does not exists in order to add it (something like preference->attachments->data type, but where ever I looked there was no such thing). So sadly, I must say, Basejet was deleted as well

- Inbox to Go : seem to focus more on the desktop sync rather then the wireless user. It seem less mature then the others. I couldn't find any auto retrieve feature, let me know if I'm missing something here. Anyway, it is still on the race.

- AgendusMail : just starting to check it, wait for take 2...

- SnapperMail : current leader! haven't failed me yet. Auto retrieve works great, attachments worked without any problems. I'm very happy with it so far.

- VersaMail : what up with no eval version (or did i missed something). I really wanted to test it but I wouldn't buy it in order to give it a try. Not a candidate at this point.

- Standard Mail application: give me a break...

Comments are welcome.

Headshot
    HeadShot

http://mytreo.textamerica.com
    I have tried various email programs also. The included HS email app is actually very good. However, I chose Snappermail for a few reasons:

1. The "junk" feature was the deal maker for me. I just push "j" to delete the email on my T600 and also on the server. Then when I am at my desktop, I don't have to deal with those messages again. Pushing "t" just deletes the message o the T600, but leaves the message on the server for later desktop retreival.

2. I receive many emails in simple html format. Snappermail renders those emails in a readable format. The HS mail app makes me read them in Blazer.

3. Snappermail is well supported and updated frequently. I expect it to get better and better.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    It's too bad that VersaMail has no demo. If you are happy with Pop3 then just about any of them will suit one person or another. If you must have a true syncing IMAP then VersaMail is the only candidate IMO.

Danita
    SM, way out in front. Frankly, I don't see how any others compare even slightly. SM is specifically optimized for the Treo and Treo keyboard. (Not even HS mail is as optimized.) The SM developer uses one. Constantly updated, great support and user's goup (yahoo)

Tossed Aileron off my 270 after SM was released last year; but also it is not Treo optimized and Corsoft support was/is pitiful.
    My only gripe with SnapperMail is that it doesn't decode Japanese emails in such a way as to allow J-OS to display them. I get garbage. This works on iambic mail, but I'm disappointed with thier attachment support.

I keep downloading the new versions of the SnapperMail demo, and as soon as one allows me to read my Japanese email, I'll buy it.
    Originally posted by arognlie
    My only gripe with SnapperMail is that it doesn't decode Japanese emails in such a way as to allow J-OS to display them. I get garbage. This works on iambic mail, but I'm disappointed with thier attachment support.

I keep downloading the new versions of the SnapperMail demo, and as soon as one allows me to read my Japanese email, I'll buy it.
    You know, with SM being very well supported, you could email them and perhaps they might refine that aspect of the app.

I use it as well, but I was stupid and didnt get the Standard or Pro version (I'll crossgrade eventually). I love this app. Its very very well done, and has a permanent home on the mail button on my Treo.
    Yeah. I let them know when I first noticed and they said the app should be handling encoding properly, but that they hadn't tested it with J-OS. I haven't heard anything from them for a while...

I don't imagine there's a large enough demand from users right now for them to worry about it too much.
    *cough*imap*cough*
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    What is the difference in POP3 e-mail and whatever the other kind is (imap?). I use only Yahoo as my e-mail service right now. Which one is that? Thanks.
    Originally posted by kkest
    What is the difference in POP3 e-mail and whatever the other kind is (imap?). I use only Yahoo as my e-mail service right now. Which one is that? Thanks.
    if you only check your yahoo email on the web it is neither.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.