1.    #1  
    I've tested PDANET on my PC laptop with pretty good success and the plug in and press a button simplicity is great. I also use a 12' Powerbook, which I run the less than impressive WirelessModem. It seems slower, alot actually, and isn't near as hassle free as PDANET. Down to my quesiton. Is there any other programs or free drivers that allow you to simply hook up the Treo to either a Mac and/or PC? Paying a WHOPPING $37 for WirelessModem to get connected on my mac, then another $34 to get PDANET for the PC laptop is insane. If either one of those apps were cross platform I might justify spending $30-$40 but $70+...no thanks. Any help would be GREALY appreciated!

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    Wireless Modem is cross platform and works via serial cable on the pc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    No USB though...

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    I think the issue is with a serial USB driver on the PC platform. The Mac OS's have it built in. In fact, if you're running OSX, it should have built-in functionality w/o a separate program like Wireless Modem.

To be honest, if you really need to have connectivity through your phone, then $70 or so is nothing.
    Originally posted by DaMan
    I think the issue is with a serial USB driver on the PC platform. The Mac OS's have it built in. In fact, if you're running OSX, it should have built-in functionality w/o a separate program like Wireless Modem.
    Unfortunately that is not correct. Mac OS X does NOT have serial USB drivers built in for the Treo and most cell phones (it has them built in for a few select cell phones, the Treo not being one of them).
    I must respectfully disagree. I have no problems using a T600 with Panther and no app such as Wireless Modem. You can argue the point, but I have tenable results.
    I must respectfully disagree. I have no problems using a T600 with Panther and no app such as Wireless Modem. You can argue the point, but I have tenable results.
    Details? Please. (Since I can't make WirelessModem work... another solution would be a life-saver!)
    Afro and Brian, you both have PM's. Please let me know when you successfully negotiate the connection
    Would you please post the details publicly (is there some reason not to?). If not would you send me a PM as well.

Thanks,
    --Mathew
    I'm also rather interested in this information... Is there any reason you can't just post it?
  11.    #11  
    Thanks DAMan!

Originally posted by mathewlu
    Would you please post the details publicly (is there some reason not to?). If not would you send me a PM as well.

Thanks,
    --Mathew

I think there was a thread about how some peple ripped off part of the software that came with Wireless Modem and used it for a connection. Not legal (or ethical) and the site admins probably deleted that thread. (It was a pretty ugly flame-fest, where the WirelessModem guy saw his software being turned into warez right before his eyes!)
    Well that method is described here:

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...&pid=41&page=2

But I don't think you can do that anymore because Scott Gruby has made the OS X side of Wireless Modem require registration.

All that said, I thought DaMan had discovered a way to do this without the Wireless Modem OS X driver at all, and that's what I would be interested in.

BTW, I paid my $37.50 to Scott a long time ago when I had my Treo 300. I have tried using the new version with my T600 under OS X 10.3, but it seems much more flaky. I was hoping that DaMan had another way of doing things that would be more reliable.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Afro and Brian, you both have PM's. Please let me know when you successfully negotiate the connection
    You ARE da man!! (like you haven't heard that before )

Now I can leave in the morning for my Xmas vacation! Whew!

Now if Wireless Modem had just packaged that up rather than hiding perfectly good stuff underneath crap that doesn't work, I'd have happily paid him (though $70 would be outrageous). Apple needs to get said driver installed in the OS... no excuse for that!
    quit being greedy and share the wealth! Give up the ghost, and let the rest of us know what you did to make it work. If the tools are already in the public domain, you're not braking any laws...
    Originally posted by AfroCreame
    Thanks DAMan!
    I hope you pay the Wireless Modem developer for the rights to use his software. Don't be a cheap little fuc*er.
    Hey DaMan... do you mind sending me a PM or directing me to a link for making WM work? Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    This worked great for me too... under Jaguar. I can't get the driver to load under Panther. How do you load a .kext file... or is there any new USB or Palm or Treo driver that I can use with Panther??

I figured I'd try Wireless Modem again since the above wasn't working... and it still does the same stupid thing, refusing to run until I pay... yet, where you pay it says "don't pay without trying it first since there is no support" ... but it won't let me try the stupid thing! Ugh.

I'm supposed to be on the road already... but I can't leave until I solve this! HELP!!