1.    #1  
    I am very happy with my treo 600 (on the Orange network in the UK) which I've had now for a month.

However, I've found that when using a backup program (either backbuddy or backupman), I get "bad sector" errors when trying to do backups onto the included 32Mb mmc. It works fine with a 128Mb SD card I already had.

When I phoned Orange about it, they said to take it back to my local Orange shop (where I bought the treo). I tried that only to be told by the customer "service" rep at the shop that they wouldn't change my mmc card because they'd have to take one out of their stock of treo phones, and that would make their phone unsaleable. They told me to go to handspring.co.uk! When I explained that the sale of goods act required them to fix the issue and replace my faulty component, but they would take "probably months" doing it.

I gave up in disgust, and phoned Orange again who told me there are only two options: either I go to handspring (which I checked, and I can't do), or I give THE WHOLE PHONE back to the orange shop for them to swap it out!

Has anybody else had this sort of problem, either with customer service or with the MMC card that comes supplied with the phone?

It's not worth trying too hard over a memory card that costs just 10, but the "principle of the thing" that makes my blood boil with these people.
    Demand to speak to the manager of the shop, or someone senior at customer services and ask for 10 off your phone bill.

If you are feeling ballsy ask for 20 off!
    Originally posted by hegedusa
    Has anybody else had this sort of problem, either with customer service or with the MMC card that comes supplied with the phone?
    I don't know if it is true of all MMC cards, or just a bug on mine, but there does seem to be a limit to:

a) the number of files which can be written to it, and
    b) the size of the individual files

For example, if I try to copy the 12Mb BackupMan file I have to the 32Mb card, the device complains. If I use FileZ to select copy all the files from RAM to the card, the device complains.

However, I have a USB memory card reader, and this doesn't seem to have the same problems, leading me to favour that it is a limitation in the MMC support on the 600 rather than a problem with the card.
    I gave up in disgust, and phoned Orange again who told me there are only two options: either I go to handspring (which I checked, and I can't do), or I give THE WHOLE PHONE back to the orange shop for them to swap it out!
    Why not just take it back and let them give you a new phone?

Sync.
    Pack up the phone and the supplied accessories. Go to the store and exchange it.
    Charge the new phone.
    Sync.

Now you've got a new MMC card, plus a new phone. Why don't you want to take that route?
    I went to a computer store today and bought a 64mb MMC card (TwinMOS). I put it in the Treo, but it responded with something like "can't read card". I tried formatting, but got the same result. I went straight back to the store, payed $10 more and replaced it for a 64Mb SD card (still TwinMOS). This worked without any problems.
    Anyone know any reason for this behavior with the MMC card?

/Christopher
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by melevittfl

Why not just take it back and let them give you a new phone?

Sync.
    Pack up the phone and the supplied accessories. Go to the store and exchange it.
    Charge the new phone.
    Sync.

Now you've got a new MMC card, plus a new phone. Why don't you want to take that route?
    Mainly because mine works, and I was loathe to change it in case my replacement was faulty, but maybe I'm just being silly. Will re-syncing really give me ALL my installed programs back too?

Or I could purchase a new SD card and backup to that, then swap phones then restore....