Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am offering $40 for software to force the Sprint Treo 600 into Digital Roam. Another user, I'm too lazy to look up now but s/he's in my "Any way to force Digital Roam on Sprint Treo 600?" post, is offering $20.

I'm putting out a call to anyone else who would like to donate to this cause.

I was hoping there was some way a programmer can fool the phone into thinking there is no Sprint 1900mhz signal to force it to go to Digital Roam; or any other way they can figure it out.

I would love this feature on my phone!

Thanks in advance!
    -M-

edited 12/19: the pot has grown to $160
    edited 2/12/04: the pot has grown to $300
    edited 2/14/04: the pot has grown to $450
    edited 2/18/04: the pot has grown to $500!
    Last edited by modma; 02/18/2004 at 01:18 AM.
    That ought to be about 1/100,000th of the money the programmer would need to pay for the lawsuit he would get from a big company like Sprint.....
    just out of curiosity: why do you want this?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    I can understand the need.

Right near home, I dont get an excellent Sprint signal, and sometimes I get no Sprint signal. But, when I was on Verizon, I get a full perfect beautiful signal. Also, there are times where it will waver from being a very weak signal to none and then go to roam, and find a little bit of a Sprint signal and change to that. Quite annoying. Once I get out of this area I get a perfect Sprint signal.

If this app were made, it'd allow calls to go out and be sustained rather than dropping out and being inaudible.
    It actually can be a useful feature.

And most phones have this feature -- all the Samsung smartphones do.

And Sprint would prefer it -- more roaming minutes = more $$ for them in most cases.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by wcarlson40
    That ought to be about 1/100,000th of the money the programmer would need to pay for the lawsuit he would get from a big company like Sprint.....
    Is there a clause that prevents someone with coming out with a hack, program, or other method of forcing the phone to digital roam. I can not imagine how this would be "illegal."
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    just out of curiosity: why do you want this?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Because in a couple of set of rooms in my office building that I spend a good amount of time in, my Sprint service would be marginal; often fading in and out. When it's out for long enough to acquire a digital roam signal, I get much better reception until it picks up the small Sprint signal again. While in these rooms, I would like to force the phone over to digital roam so I can enjoy a solid connection until I leave those rooms where I can switch back to Sprint and enjoy the solid Sprint connection, with Vision!

-M-

So someone, please come out with this!!!
    I think there's a ## code that might do what you want.. I seem to have left my treo at home so I can't check it out. I'll check it when I get home if you want. More to the point though, why would you want to do this? Are you sure you want to do this though won't it cost you like 75cents/min in roaming charges?
    Originally posted by jwsh
    Are you sure you want to do this though won't it cost you like 75cents/min in roaming charges?
    Not if we opted for the Free and Clear America thingy.
    Originally posted by modma

Is there a clause that prevents someone with coming out with a hack, program, or other method of forcing the phone to digital roam. I can not imagine how this would be "illegal."
    If your're forcing the phone to roam when you shouldn't be, and you have an unlimited roaming plan (Free & Clear America), it sounds like stealing to me.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, especially when your getting cra99y reception from Sprint, I'm just saying watch out for litigation.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by jwsh
    I think there's a ## code that might do what you want.. I seem to have left my treo at home so I can't check it out. I'll check it when I get home if you want. More to the point though, why would you want to do this? Are you sure you want to do this though won't it cost you like 75cents/min in roaming charges?
    Yes, I have a plan that allows roaming at no additional charge. I would like to take advantage of this in places where Sprint service is marginal.

Anyone else want to throw some money in the pot?
    Modma,
    The other problem I see with doing this is you would loose your "PCS Vision" capability. I don't believe data is included with roaming in Verizon's area.

Nightraider
    I agree with Nightraider, my understanding is that there is no Vision support when you roam on the Free & Clear America offering for $5 a month. Granted, the reception would be better for voice calls, but it would seem kind of pointless on a device that was designed for data.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by SteveNYC
    I agree with Nightraider, my understanding is that there is no Vision support when you roam on the Free & Clear America offering for $5 a month. Granted, the reception would be better for voice calls, but it would seem kind of pointless on a device that was designed for data.
    I am looking for the ability to force the phone to digital roam solely at times where I get marginal Sprint service. I do not want it to ONLY use the phone while digital roaming. Just so I can make and receive calls without interruption.

So, anyone up to the challenge?
    the ## code that I was thinking of (##7738) didn't do what i thought. Sorry..
    Originally posted by wcarlson40

If your're forcing the phone to roam when you shouldn't be, and you have an unlimited roaming plan (Free & Clear America), it sounds like stealing to me.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, especially when your getting cra99y reception from Sprint, I'm just saying watch out for litigation.
    Part of the plan is that you have to use 50% of your Sprint minutes on Sprint's network. Its not unlimited, as I think it uses your anytime minutes. So. Sprint and our behinds are covered.
  17.    #17  
    So, I am not sure how hard this may be; but why hasn't anyone given it a try??

I'm sure others will gladly pay for this program!
    howdy folks. This is exactly why I'm keeping my second line on verizon with my 7135. Although my 7135 is, for all intents and purposes, a tempermental unstable P.I.T.A. (third one since June-which is why I now have a T600 on Sprint) the two things that it does extremely well is have excellent voice and data (I use it for my pwrbook wireless modem when on the road) in locations with less than ideal signal strength-something my treo on SPCS has difficulty with-even with roaming capabilities on Verizon's network.

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    I reviewed the documentation, and concluded that it's likely impossible using the API's that are provided. Therefore, someone would have to spend a great deal of time looking into this, scouring the ROM, disassembling internal code, etc.

Marc
    Another option you guys might want to consider is getting cellular repeater for your homes. Checkout this thread for more info. Sprint was at one time giving out free repeaters to some users. It seems to work well and there's several different products out there. Not a cheap solution, but one that works well according to the user reports....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast