Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'd rather pay $50 to make my phone use verizon in certain areas than pay excessive amounts for a repeater....
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    I'd rather pay $50 to make my phone use verizon in certain areas than pay excessive amounts for a repeater....
    I hope this means you would be willing to throw $50 in the pot should someone come out with such a program. Another user in my other thread also will donate $50 for a "flawlessly working" version of such a program bringing the total amount up to $160.

Is there not a way to fool the phone into thinking there's no 1900mhz signal? There's got to be something!

$160 and growing should help!
  3.    #23  
    Bump. Please! Someone at least TRY to write the program! $160 plus I'm sure other people who want it will pay for it!

PLEASE!!! For Christmas?

-M-
    When you in digital roam on a Sprint Treo 600 you cant use data service!!

So whats the point of getting it to roam if it just becomes a normal cell pone and cant use any of the data features??

the point was-as the guy said-to get a strong signal for the phone part, not data. did you bother reading the thread?
    Originally posted by horsmanp
    When you in digital roam on a Sprint Treo 600 you cant use data service!!
    OH NOS!!!!1~!!one

I know. There are times when making a call is a hell of a lot more important than data.
  7.    #27  
    Another $20!

This makes the pool $180. Any takers? There has to be a way!
    To accomplish this, it might be easier to force the Treo to update with a Verizon Wireless PRL, somehow. Typically PRL's are updated over the air, but there must be other methods. Any Sprint or Verizon tech here?

Sprint Vision service might not be available when connected to Verizon's tower, but I think you can still make a 1xRTT connection, which Verizon Wireless calls Express Network connection.

Vision and Express Network connections seem similar. Both dials #777
    Authentication seems to be the only difference.

Verizon Wireless uses
    login: your_10_digit_phone_num@vzw3g.com
    password: vzw

Sprint uses
    login: your SprintPCS login
    password: ??

I'm currently using a Tre 600 on a Verizon Wireless plan with no roaming fee.
  9.    #29  
    Originally posted by ideefixe
    To accomplish this, it might be easier to force the Treo to update with a Verizon Wireless PRL, somehow....
    I'm currently using a Tre 600 on a Verizon Wireless plan with no roaming fee.
    Hmmm, sounds interesting. I never thought about it that way. What about a program that included a Verizon PRL in its file, and the purpose of the program allows you to "select" which PRL to load when Wireless Mode turns on. That sounds feasible, what about the programmers?

And hey, how do you have a Treo on a Verizon Wireless plan? I'm curious to hear.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Another option you guys might want to consider is getting cellular repeater for your homes. Checkout this thread for more info. Sprint was at one time giving out free repeaters to some users. It seems to work well and there's several different products out there. Not a cheap solution, but one that works well according to the user reports....
    I was also going to suggest the repeater route, but it sounds like he wants this to be something he can turn on and off at will. I am the one that installed the 1900mhz repeater in my house. Yeah it was a lot of money, but my indoor Sprint coverage is excellent now, so it was worth it. I'd like for someone with a T-Mobile phone to stop by and see if it works also for GSM. I have some family with TMobile that have never been able to get a signal in my house.

I know there was another post about someone who was able to get a Treo600 to work on Verizon, but evidently the big problem he had was getting the PRL update to work. Sprint uses the same system ID (SID) throughout the entire country, because their network is based on the same technology everywhere ("all digital, built from the ground up.....", you know the advertising). So, I believe the phone looks for the SID from the tower and if it is Sprint's SID, then it selects that, if there is no Sprint SID present, it then uses the PRL to determine how to find a signal. So the key may be to change the SID in the phone activation. When you activated your phone, you had to enter in the SID. Disclaimer: If anyone attempt to update their SID and turns their Treo600 into a paperweight, please do so at your own risk.

I understand why you want/need this feature. Some people have asked about data (I know this is not your concern, modma), but Vision does not work when roaming on Verizon. Neither do receiving of text messages, pages, SMS (if this is ever rolled out). But, it is nice to be able to receive phone calls when roaming and sometime this IS the most important part of owning a phone.

I wish you good luck in your persuit of a solution. If anyone has any questions about my repeater solution, let me know.
    Carl
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    If anyone has any questions about my repeater solution, let me know.
    Carl,

Is it possible to install the repeater indoors, or does it have to be positioned on the outside of a building. Also, how big is it? As big as my printer? TV? car? When you say costly, how much do you mean? and wasn't Sprint giving out free repeaters?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, just quite interested.

...and the money still is there for anyone who can write such a program.

-M-
    Originally posted by modma

Carl,

Is it possible to install the repeater indoors, or does it have to be positioned on the outside of a building. Also, how big is it? As big as my printer? TV? car? When you say costly, how much do you mean? and wasn't Sprint giving out free repeaters?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, just quite interested.

...and the money still is there for anyone who can write such a program.

-M-
    No problem with the questions.
    There is an antenna that gets mounted outside. In the case of the 1900mHz repeater the antenna is a flat panel directional type, that measures about 10"x10". Pretty small actually. I mounted it on an extra mounting bracket I had left over from a satellite install. I had to point the external antenna towards the closes Sprint tower, but looking at Sprint tower locator map on their website, I am inbetween 3 towers. The cable runs into my house into a wiring closet. The repeater itself is about 4" square. I have a flat panel indoor antenna hooked to the repeater that measures about 6" square. All in all, not too big. The original PCS repeater kit, (outside flat panel antenna, cable , indoor repeater and whip antenna) cost $500. I added the indoor flat panel (directional) antenna for another $50. It was worth the increase in performance to get the better antenna.

As far as I know, Sprint has never given out free repeaters, but I could be wrong here. I just did not feel like waiting for Sprint to do something, did not want them to own the equipment. The beauty of the repeater is that is should work for both 1900 CDMA and 1900 GSM (i guess TDMA as well). The also have another version for 800mHz carriers.
    Carl
  13.    #33  
    Thanks for such a quick response!

Another question I have for you; what is the effective range of the repeater? Will it give an entire building with marginal service better reception or is it limited to a couple of rooms. How many people can benefit from a repeater?

Thanks again!
    -M-
    Modma,

Easy, there's a thread on how to use use the Treo 600, or any Sprint phone for that matter, on Verizon at:

this link

You just need the MSL code to unlock your Sprint phone, register the phone's ESN with Verizon, and enter in the mobile number into the phone. I haven't figured out how to provision a virgin Sprint phone so I can make a data call yet.

Just make sure your Verizon plan allows you to roam for free. I dunno, but I think I'm getting more anytime minute than my plan or this roaming thing screws up Verizon's counter.

Carl,

Which brand and model of repeater did you purchased? I'm considering buying the $500 model from
    JDTECK

As for your comment about SID, I've read PRL has highest priority for Sprint and Verizon phones. Weird thing is that I could not set the SID and NID on my Treo 600, I was able to do so on my Samsung i500. BTW, changed the SID to Verizon's SID didn't switch tower...the phone still connected to Sprint.

Where is it on Sprint's site that shows the tower locations?
    Originally posted by modma
    Thanks for such a quick response!

Another question I have for you; what is the effective range of the repeater? Will it give an entire building with marginal service better reception or is it limited to a couple of rooms. How many people can benefit from a repeater?

Thanks again!
    -M-
    modma.... cellantenna.com has several versions of it's repeaters. The one I have basically covers one room in my house, the one I have the most trouble in. The room is about 40'x20' and the repeater with the directional panel antenna covers it pretty well. Most other places in my house I can get a reliable signal, so my goal was to provide a useable signal that I could use while walking around without dropping. I have accomplished that goal. Cell Antenna does sell other, more powerful solutions that will cover much larger areas, such as entire offices, factories, malls etc. But of course they are much higher priced.
    Carl
    Originally posted by ideefixe
    Carl,

Which brand and model of repeater did you purchased? I'm considering buying the $500 model from
    JDTECK

As for your comment about SID, I've read PRL has highest priority for Sprint and Verizon phones. Weird thing is that I could not set the SID and NID on my Treo 600, I was able to do so on my Samsung i500. BTW, changed the SID to Verizon's SID didn't switch tower...the phone still connected to Sprint.

Where is it on Sprint's site that shows the tower locations?
    http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/co...towermaps.html
    Above is the link to the tower location map at Sprint's website. See my post above regarding the repeater I have. I purchased it from www.cellantenna.com, the model is a CAE50PCS. In addtion to buying the PCS kit (includes the outside antenna, cable, indoor whip antenna, repeater and power supply), I also purchased a directional indoor panel antenna that is directional, but focuses the repeated signal where I need it to.

As far as how the Sprint phones find Sprint, I do not know, I am only repeating what I have read on this forum (or perhaps somewhere else) about the SID. I dont remember, but when I provisioned my Treo600, I am pretty sure I had to enter the SID.
    Carl
    add another 100 bucks to the pot.....

Sprint's coverage in rural TN is much worse than VZ.....so I am jumping in and out of roam/Sprint and dropping calls.....

Id like to have a app that allows me to stay on the VZ network when I have critical calls to make.
  18.    #38  
    THAT'S $260, COME ON; PLEASE... SOMEONE!!!!!
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  19.    #39  
    Make that $300. I mis-calculated and the pot was at $280 when I wrote $260, and I'll throw in another $20 to make it $300. It can't be that futile!

- A PRL loader that keeps a copy of Verizon's and Sprint's PRL and you choose which one you want to load at wireless mode startup?
    - A program that fools the phone into thinking there is no 1900mhz Sprint signal to send the phone to roam.
    - A program that just allows you to switch to Digital Roam.

There has just got to be a way! Please be the one to find it!

-M-
    here's another $50, btw modma didnt you have an i330 that could digital roam at will? why dont you have an export look at it?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast