1.    #1  
    I learned about Sprint international roaming from this board -- very cool and I had no idea it existed.

But the Sprint rep told me my phone wouldn't work because it's not Tri Mode -- but it does have analog roam, doesn't it?

Anyone??
    No, the CDMA Treo600 does not have analog. It is a dual band cdma 1900 MHz / cdma 800 Mhz phone. It could theoretically work in other countires that also use those cdma frequencies...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    No, the CDMA Treo600 does not have analog. It is a dual band cdma 1900 MHz / cdma 800 Mhz phone. It could theoretically work in other countires that also use those cdma frequencies...
    My almost-free Motorola V66 (when I signed up 2 wks ago) requires one to manually select the band according to T-Mobile. I haven't opened the box and read the manual to confirm this.

The Treo 600 automatically selects the band to use, right? (850, 900, 1800 or 1900 MHz)
    The T600 is single mode, dual band. The people at Sprint have no idea what they are talking about. See my Shanghai,Chaina post. Also they always get the mode and analog backwards. Everyone else calls the analog and digital modes and the frequancy that it works on is the band, but not Sprint. Their website is correct in someplaces, and even their manuals, but the phone poeple, get it wrong 90% of the time.

I am in Shanghai, my T600 works. Sprint does not know how it works. I am waiting for answers for pricing.

So the t600 is Single mode (digital), dual bans (800MHZ and 1.9GHZ).

This post explains Mode and Band

This post is about me using the T600 in Shanghai and Sprints faliure to listen.

hope this helps. Matt Burkhard
    Sprinter, it only has two bands, 800MHZ and 1.9GHZ. I thinik it starts with the 1900MHZ first, then switches to the other if it's can't find anything.
    matt
    A CDMA T600 will NOT work overseas.
    A GSM T600 WILL work overseas.

Sprint = CDMA T600 - no overseas
    T-Mobile, Cingular, AT&T = GSM T600 - works overseas

Conclusion - Sprint still sucks and is getting worse - avoid them at all cost.
    Originally posted by Slick50
    A CDMA T600 will NOT work overseas.
    A GSM T600 WILL work overseas.

Sprint = CDMA T600 - no overseas
    T-Mobile, Cingular, AT&T = GSM T600 - works overseas

Conclusion - Sprint still sucks and is getting worse - avoid them at all cost.
    There're many countries that use CDMA and Treo will work there.
    SLick50, no offence and this is not a flame, but read my post before you say somthing and YELL the answer.

I thought like you , as did Sprint, but the Treo600 CDMA can and does WORK OVERSEAS. I am in Shanghai, China, if you read my post you would know that. It works here, well, let me rephrase that, I can call anywhere here, people can call me from anywhere in the world. I just can't call out of china yet due to Sprint not getting me the IDD setup.

Your more then welcome to call me on my Treo600(CDMA version), here and China if you don't beleive me.

I was suprised, Sprint was shocked, UniCom China is not as shocked.

Conclusion: Make sure you know all the facts about something and explore all angles and posabilties. I also conclude that I need to buy a dictionary....
    :shortcut:
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Sprinter, it only has two bands, 800MHZ and 1.9GHZ. I thinik it starts with the 1900MHZ first, then switches to the other if it's can't find anything.
    matt
    My mistake, I was referring to the GSM version whereas this thread is about the CDMA variant for Sprint PCS.
    Originally posted by dlee27

There're many countries that use CDMA and Treo will work there.

Several Sprint reps have said the Treo 600 will not work in Canada, even though that country has CDMA providers. Is this true, or yet more misinformation from the brilliant Minds at Sprint?
    Here is a list of the world service providers with system and frequencies. http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Chupacabra, All I can say is, Sprint thought I was on crack cocain when I called them. They treated me like some reject form the loony bin. I was not untill I got someone higher up, and asked them to call me in China, on my (accordin to them) non working cell phone, that they changed their mind. Where they swore that there was no way on gods green earth that I had or could get coverage in China.

I now don't beleive anythign that they say, or take it witha grain of salt. If ther is a CDMA carirer, in Canada, I might, there is one here in Shanghai China and it works. Assume it will not, so your not disapointed, but when you get there, turn the radio on. It took several minutes for mine to find the carrier in China. It took so long that the first time, I thought it was going to just time out anyway and cancelled the request. It was not untill I saw the CDMA bilboard that I tried and let it sit untill it connected, or a saw it time out.

Matt burkhard
    Seems to me that Sprint has gotten into the habit of saying something can't be done, simply because they haven't programmed their logging/billing systems to make money off of it yet. Perhaps this is what's happening to Burkhardi in China. It works fine, but they haven't figured out how to bill it yet! Same as using applications like PDANet to make the phone work as a modem. Works fine, but Sprint has no way to know if you're using the phone as a modem or simply doing a lot of high-volume web-surfing right on the phone. Go over a certain number of minutes, and they assume you're using the phone as a modem and bill you for it! (Only happened to me once, and they credited me, hope it doesn't continue to be a problem).

No way to bill you extra for it? Tell you it can't be done, or
    No way to know if you're doing it? Assume you are and bill you anyway!
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Several Sprint reps have said the Treo 600 will not work in Canada, even though that country has CDMA providers. Is this true, or yet more misinformation from the brilliant Minds at Sprint?

I have used my Sprint CDMA phones in Canada often (in CDMA roaming mode). In fact I am surprised the Sprint reps didn't know that is it available, as Canadian (and Mexican) CDMA roaming is offically supported by Sprint... Kind of NAFTA roaming...

Burkhardi, the International Reps may not know about China- But the SprintPCS website does (although you REALLY have to read between the lines). Under coverage look at international roaming. I see Bejing and Shanghai listed as Tri-Mode. (Which is NOT really tri-mode, but 800 MHZ CDMA)... Looks like you will be paying $0.99/minute, which seems like a great deal to me...

(Can not really post the SprintPCS link, but here is a lame attempt...)

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...ckedOnLetter=1)
    I saw that too, they say that it's not acurate and that with no contract with UNIcom, the plus long distance (.99 plus long distance) may be .25 or $25? They said ti take heed until they figure something out.

thanks for the help though. Matt