Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am travelling to the US in early feb (from Australia). I am just wondering what the best way to get an unlocked Treo 600 is? Can I walk into a shop and buy one? Or will I have more success ordering one online? (my sis is living in Winter Park, CO, so I can have it delivered there if need be)

I think some mentioned that various providers sell them without requiring you to sign up for a contract/service... any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James
    Only advice I can offer--- go to cingular.com, and check the link at the top of the page for "Find a Store". Then pick the state and nearest city (or 2 or 3) from the drop-down list. That will give you a listing of all stores in the area. Print it out and take it with you. When you arrive, call a couple of those stores to find out which ones in the list are "corporate" stores. Cingular folks have repeatedly told me the corporate stores are the most likely place to find an in-store Treo 600 these days. Otherwise, nothing's expected in til mid-to-late January. But hey-- they're just phone calls, so try 'em all. Ya just might get lucky.
    Hopefully by Febuary T mobile will finally be carrying the Treo600 as well... er, well hopefuly that is!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Hopefully by Febuary T mobile will finally be carrying the Treo600 as well... er, well hopefuly that is!
    While there is no reason to believe that this will happen and all kinds of reason to believe that it will not, hope springs eternal in the human breast.
  5.    #5  
    While there is no reason to believe that this will happen and all kinds of reason to believe that it will not, hope springs eternal in the human breast.
    Heh.

I will see what the lay of the land is a bit closer to the date. Thanks for the ideas thus far. Maybe I will just pick one up tax free here before I leave (the AUD price is pretty offensive though - 1300AUD / 966US!!)
    Actually, I think you can just go to handspring.com and order a cingular phone without the plan. This is how I got mine (well I had a T300 so I got the early upgrade deall). Just go to hand spring site, pick a zipcode (say 94404) and when it asks you about plans, pick Cingular. It will then ask you if you want a new plan or if you want to keep your existing one. Choose existing (Treo will cost $699 though) plan.

I have used mine with Cingular, AT&T, and China Mobile in Shanghai. It's great, just pop in a SIM card and it just works.
  7.    #7  
    That sounds promising. So long as I can get it delivered to a different zip code than the one I need to enter to get access to the cingular plans (hopefully that makes sense )

(no cingular plans available for where I need it to be delivered...winter park, co)
    How about asking your relative to bid on a cingular version on ebay paying attention to the closing date to coorespond to your trip. I think you'll get one cheaper than going to the store.
    You can get one from Cingular for $599 without a contract and they are unlocked. I bought two for my company last week, and have already cancelled the Cingular service. They weren't able to port my numbers over for some reason, so I just stuck with T-Mobile.
    Slick, What store sells them for 599 unlocked? I missed the Cingular deal but I'm looking to get myself a nice X-Mas present. I offically missed the AT&T deal also. Let me know.
    Thanks in advance
    OK - so what's with this FAQ on the Handspring Web Site that says that the Cingular Treos are 'optimized' for the Cingular network?

I'n trying to decide if I should wait for T-Mobile or buy the Cingular version and do the 'sim switch'. Based on what I've seen in the two areas I frequent (far 'burbs of Seattle Washington - Snohomish County) and Front Royal, VA (60 MI NW of DC), I do NOT want Cingular's coverage.

And how about AT&T????

Thanks in advance!

Clay Jackson
    clayj@nwlink.com
    Originally posted by Slick50
    You can get one from Cingular for $599 without a contract and they are unlocked. I bought two for my company last week, and have already cancelled the Cingular service. They weren't able to port my numbers over for some reason, so I just stuck with T-Mobile.

Are you sure all the Treo 600s from Cingular are unlocked? I called Cingular this evening and asked about this and they said the phones are locked. I asked the guy to double check this and he came back saying the phones were locked. Is it only phones bought directly from Handspring that are unlocked?
    Well, I dunno about the ones you get from Cingular; but a friend of mine has a Cingular 600 (from Handspring). We dropped my SIM (from T-Mobile) in there and Voice connections worked fine (and it responded to my number). We didn't try data.
    Best bet is eBay.... I bought and then sold on ebay 8 of the cingular unlocked units form handspring, to happy treo users in canada, switzerland, and italy, that couldent order them directly form handspring.
    Originally posted by clayj
    Well, I dunno about the ones you get from Cingular; but a friend of mine has a Cingular 600 (from Handspring). We dropped my SIM (from T-Mobile) in there and Voice connections worked fine (and it responded to my number). We didn't try data.
    I dropped my t-mo card in and GPRS worked fine w/ no setup or personalization.
    I got mine from www.gsmphonesource.com - it arrived in 2 days. It's the Cingular GSM package without activation/simcard and works fine in Bermuda on my AT&T Bermuda SIM on both phone and GPRS modes without any modification (except for the startup logo ;-)

I tried to order one from just-talk.com and although their website says that they had stock, they didn't and kept me on hold for a week. I cancelled my order with them and went with gsmphonesource - top notch service and really helpful there.

Anyway - good luck and have fun!

DemonJ
    So - anyone figured out how to change this yet?
    Originally posted by clayj
    OK - so what's with this FAQ on the Handspring Web Site that says that the Cingular Treos are 'optimized' for the Cingular network?
    It's not true. People have done direct comparisons of "true" AT&T units with AT&T-sim'd Cingular units, and haven't seen the slightest difference. When I called Handspring, they explicitly told me that Cingular could be considered a synonym for unlocked on their site.

That said, there may be something else going on with the Treos sold by Cingular directly.
    I got a Cingular Treo 600 from gsmphonesource.com. It was before Handspring started shipping directly but they were in Cingular stores. I believe this distributor got it direct from Cingular (although I don't know that for sure).

It was unlocked and has worked with T-Mobile no problem for over three weeks. I can't prove it, but I really truly doubt that the ones sold by Cingular are locked. They are just trying to make you use/get a Cingular account.

Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Are you sure all the Treo 600s from Cingular are unlocked? I called Cingular this evening and asked about this and they said the phones are locked. I asked the guy to double check this and he came back saying the phones were locked. Is it only phones bought directly from Handspring that are unlocked?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast