Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by horsmanp
    Best bet is eBay.... I bought and then sold on ebay 8 of the cingular unlocked units form handspring, to happy treo users in canada, switzerland, and italy, that couldent order them directly form handspring.
    Thanks for the answer.
    Last edited by The Chupacabra; 12/16/2003 at 09:55 PM.
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    I got a Cingular Treo 600 from gsmphonesource.com. It was before Handspring started shipping directly but they were in Cingular stores. I believe this distributor got it direct from Cingular (although I don't know that for sure).

It was unlocked and has worked with T-Mobile no problem for over three weeks. I can't prove it, but I really truly doubt that the ones sold by Cingular are locked. They are just trying to make you use/get a Cingular account.

I checked with another store and they also said the phones from Cingular are locked. They're either locked, the stores are lying or the salespeople don't know what they're talking about. All three are plausible.

I'll bet your phones came directly from Handspring. That seems to be the most certain way to get an unlocked GSM phone right now. In any event, since Sprint finally fixed my Vision service last night, I think I'll stick with their plan for this year. My $300 Amazon.com Treo 600 and $15/unlimited data vs. $699 unlocked GSM Treo 600 from Handspring = sorry GSM (as much as I now realize that GSM is probably the best choice if you ignore rates).
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

I checked with another store and they also said the phones from Cingular are locked. They're either locked, the stores are lying or the salespeople don't know what they're talking about. All three are plausible.
    Actually, I like the the Cingular splash screen that shows up while I am connecting to T-Mobile. It does not say Cingular but only shows the Cingular brand icon. However, with the exception of that screen, there is no relationship between my 600 and Cingular.

I got my phone from GSMphonesource and did pay a premium.

I put my T-Mobile SIM in the phone and both voice and data worked as I would have hoped. No setup or personalization was required.

I have no way of knowing whether or not there are phones out there that are locked to Cingular. However, here I have only seen hearsay, no first hand testimony.
    II agree - the CNG version of the phone works fine without any issues. Worst case scenario is that there is a INT (international/internal/intestinal? ;-) ) version of firmware (GSM) floating around the internet with the latest configuration / applications in rom.

My phone reports:
    Firmware: 02.02
    Software: Treo600-1.06-CNG
    Hardware: B

The phone must have been unlocked from the factory - the seals were still on all the bags / wrappers. It certainly doesn't look like the phone had been touched from the factory. Also the box has a cingular sticker on it in the top right corner.

The phone hasn't hiccuped once yet - although I might hazard the firmware upgrade as from what I hear it improves the audio quality somewhat.

Also, as the previous message indicates - I have replaced the CNG splash screen with my own. Read the thread on this - it was quite easy to do (with a Wintel PC).

When you are in the US, order it and have it drop shipped to your location there. Either that or get them to send it internationally to you in Australia - depends on shipping I guess. Mine cost about $60 to ship to Bermuda on FedEx international express.

DemonJ
    Last edited by demonj; 12/16/2003 at 11:45 PM.
    A postscript to the earlier message - just a picture of my treo box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    > It's not true. People have done direct comparisons of "true"
    > AT&T units with AT&T-sim'd Cingular units, and haven't seen the
    > slightest difference...

This is incorrect and HORRIBLY misleading.

If the manufacturer of a phone, a manufacturerr who wants to sell as many of these guys as it can, says:

== "Might not work on another network"

then you can BET BUCKS that manufacturer knows what it's talking about.

Your handful of datapoints saying "Works fine" is TOTALLY BOGUS.

The manufacturer (and carriers) do EXTENSIVE testing in many different environments from high-noise, low signal, strange reflection patterns (nee skyscrapers), etc.

So if they lose sales OVERTLY by saying "Don't do it!" then maybe one should pay attention.

Frankly, TreoCentral should have an article about this on their frontpage since there is so much crap being spewed about how people should buy one carrier's phone and use it on another carrier's service. But there isn't (BTW, and sadly, that shows how closely the editorial side is connected to the publishing side...).

See the warning on bottom of this page:

-- http://www.handspring.com/products/c...overview.jhtml
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

If the manufacturer of a phone, a manufacturerr who wants to sell as many of these guys as it can, says:

The manufacturer (and carriers) do EXTENSIVE testing in many different environments from high-noise, low signal, strange reflection patterns (nee skyscrapers), etc.

So if they lose sales OVERTLY by saying "Don't do it!" then maybe one should pay attention.

Frankly, TreoCentral should have an article about this on their frontpage since there is so much crap being spewed about how people should buy one carrier's phone and use it on another carrier's service. But there isn't (BTW, and sadly, that shows how closely the editorial side is connected to the publishing side...).

First, it is not clear what HS is trying to do. Not taking orders from willing buyers is not consistent with maximizing sales.

Second, first hand experience reported here is better than hearsay. While I grant you that the absence of evidence is not evidence, neither is anything said by HS.

Finally, in the modern litigious world, sellers make all kinds of representations designed only to ward off complaints and law suits. Dell has a warning that the cable of one of their power supplies contains lead and that the user should not put it in his mouth and should wash his hands before sucking his thumb.
    OK, mine works fine. I have compared it side by side with other people's AT&T branded Treos, and the only observable difference is the startup logo.

Not surprisingly, this is exactly what Handspring support and sales reps told me by phone when I (with paranoia approaching yours) called repeatedly before making my purchase.

The discrepancy between what the reps say and what's written on the website is curious, and may have more to do with marketing than anything else.
    Incorrect - this is a very specific warning from palmOne to potential customers saying "Don't do it!".

Note that they do NOT warn about the AT&T phone being used elsewhere (*).

Frankly, betting that the manufacturer is for some reason MAKING UP the idea of incompatability doesn't seem to be such a great idea.

((*) Of course, maybe after the AT&T phone has been more thoroughly tested they, too, will be cautioned about - we do not know - but in ANY case trecentral oughta get to the bottom of this in BIG BOLD WORDS on the home page).
    Cingular has roaming agreements around the world; moreover, the company routinely unlocks their customers' non-Treo phones for traveling. Even if a phone were "optimized" for the Cingular network, a customer would still legitimately expect it to function to spec on these other networks.
    Undoubtedly a Cingular TREO 600 will work somewhere else just fine (or maybe somewhat less than optimally which may not be noticed by the user).

That is NOT the point.

The point is that palmOne itself says "You may not want to do this, guy!" w.r.t. Cingular TREO 600s and other carriers.

If one absolutely needs a T-Mobile-as-carrier TREO 600 RIGHT NOW (*) then it sure looks to me that buying the AT&T phone and doing whatever one has to do to get it onto T-Mobile is the way to go.

But for SURE not the Cingular phone.

((*) More noise is happening on a daily basis suggesting early January as the actual real no-doubt-about-it-(maybe) launch time for a GENUINE T-Mobile-compatible TREO 600 - a couple weeks is NOT forever - if I were to want a TREO 600 on my T-Mobile account I'd just sit and wait)
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

I agree - the nuances of various different GSM/GPRS networks will certainly affect the specific version and configuration of software supplied with each carrier's "version" of a product. Consider the number of manufacturers of cellular network equipment, the number of phone manufacturers and the amount of compatibility testing that must have to go on in order to certify these phones. That's why they have agreements with the various manufacturers to offer their own "branded" phones.

On the $$$ side:
    If I was a carrier, I would want to sell my customers an "optimized" version of a phone so that they would buy the phone (and with it the service contract upgrade) from me. I don't want someone buying a "grey" phone and just adding on to their existing service. You want the newest toy? Pay for it - and by the way, you need to get "our" version of the toy AND sign a new contract to boot. Handspring / Palm doesn't (yet) sell a generic version of the T600 because there is probably millions of dollars in release contracts with various carriers which restrict them from selling the phone direct.

Saying that there ultimately has to be a compatible baseline that these devices conform to - the whole idea of a "world" phone is to have a device that can work in as many environments as possible on as many networks as possible. So you should be able to expect that handspring has done their best to make sure that the phone works well in all environments regardless of the carrier specific tweaks.

At the end of the day we are a CONSUMER society and it is in our nature to want to sport the newest latest and greatest fashions whether they be phones, cars or clothes. If the manufacturer / carriers insist on releasing the "must have" toys in a staggered or uneven way - nature will take its course and people will get the new toy any way they can be it grey market or through other means.

In my case I live on an island that does not have ready access to the newest phones and we must live with a carrier that regularly gouges for equipment as well as services (subsidy? Never heard of it). That is why I don't care whose phone I use as long as it works with my carrier - we might be lucky to see the 600 sometime in early 2004 - I'm not willing to wait that long.

Anyway - my observation from here - so far so good. After Christmas I will have more data as I travel to Canada for the holidays via the US.

Cheers!

DemonJ
    Last edited by demonj; 12/17/2003 at 10:29 AM.
    Originally posted by whmurray

Actually, I like the the Cingular splash screen that shows up while I am connecting to T-Mobile. It does not say Cingular but only shows the Cingular brand icon. However, with the exception of that screen, there is no relationship between my 600 and Cingular.

I got my phone from GSMphonesource and did pay a premium.

I put my T-Mobile SIM in the phone and both voice and data worked as I would have hoped. No setup or personalization was required.

I have no way of knowing whether or not there are phones out there that are locked to Cingular. However, here I have only seen hearsay, no first hand testimony.
    Ditto to that! Functionality seems cool and 100% to me and I don't mind the little Cingular dude (ette) on the splash screen. Seems my Cing T600 w/ T-Mo service are a match made in GPRS heaven!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12