Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by imageone
    Sandpaper, files, Dremel tool, tape! you people are nuts! I can't believe that the SD Card think bothers you that much. I've had my 600 for over two months now and it's popped out maybe three or four times. It's mostly about the user. If you handle the 600 with care and watch what your doing, this want happen.
    Thanks for the lecture but that's why I have parents.

If you're not having problems, great. Some of us are and we've solved it in a way that that has no impact to you.
    I sanded down my 256mb sandisk no problems. Even painted it with metallica gray enamel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  3.    #23  
    And from the looks of things your serial number label peeled off as well. Mine started comming loose and then i just peeled it off the rest of the way and stuck it inside the box for when i sell this thing. hopefully not for a while.
    ditto, it peeled off.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I sandpapered my 64M card for two reasons:

1) It was popping out when I pushed the treo into the holster on my waistband.

2) It really did mess up the aesthetic of the device!!!!

I probably took off 1/8 inch and did not get a slot in the top of the card.

--jasonl
    --jaslo
    64meg panasonic, perfect!
    512 sandisk... not going to do it for a while. I spent REAL money on this one, if it stops working, I want a new one. 5 year warranty.

The filing really helped, but I really havent kicked the 512 out much, so... no real need. Maybe I just learned to be more careful. I admit, I can feel the way it doesnt fit flush, and it kind of annoys me.
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    Wouldn't filing down the SD card make it a bit difficult to remove<rhetorical>?
    Ya I've had it accidentally pop out but. .. A while back I purchased
    a leather carrying case for the 600. A strap secures the phone
    into the case and the strap goes over the SD card. That coincidentally helps ensures the SD card won't go anyplace. Although the card has still "popped" out of it's slot a few times with the case on the case keeps the card from escaping the 600.
    And no.. I don't keep the 600 in the case 100% of the time I do
    about 90% + of the time. That's good 'nuff for me.
    After being inspired by the maverick card filers, I took it one lunatic step further and cut off the end using the 3hp table saw in my workshop. Worked like a charm.
    Those of you who want a nice tight fit.....get yourself a PNY SD card. It fits so snug you need tweezers to remove it. There is not a chance it will fall out, or catch on anything. It is absolutely level with the top of the Treo.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I was just a tad overzealous on my SanDisk 256, and it revealed two small slots on each end of the top, newly-beveled surface.

You people that say "it only popped out 3 or 4 times"...what if you didn't catch it and the card was lost?

If I had a GB-sized card I might be somewhat nervous, but $60 is worth losing for me to have the peace of mind of having it flush.

And here's the clincher...it made me feel handy and tricked out. Face it. We bought this THING...its not a phone, not a computer...its a mobile communications platform.

For me, it provides the needed creative outlet for me to make it just that much more optimized

I don't know if I'm explaining the point very clearly, but for me, the Treo is an outlet, a hobby and a lot of fun.

I guess that's part of why I filed down the card...same reason I used to bridge my car audio system down to two ohms and solder capacitors to everything...cuz I could!
    Another filer/Sharpie here. Worked great. SanDisk 512. Did it for aesthetics.

Method: hold file in vise. run SD top lightly back and forth over file. brush away shavings. insert into treo. repeat till flush fit. sharpie the top.
    Does anyone have a pic of the 512 SD Ultra 2 or 512 card sanded down so it fits flush?

I sanded mine down a bit, so it is almost flush, but do not want to file it down so far that it goes through the case.

(I attached a pic of how it is right now.)

It has made a huge difference in how easy it is to pop out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by Jack45208
    I also used a Dremel tool to "shave a little off the top" of my Lexar SD card. Now the card sits flush inside it's slot and doesn't accidentially pop out. It was a minor annoyance that became a pain..... and now it's GONE! The Dremel tool made it a breeze to make this slight adjustment.
    Does filing down the Lexar card cause a slot to open up as it does with other brands? And does anyone have a picture of the PNY card that is said to fit flush without modification? I have popped my card out accidentally many times.

My Update:
    Sanded my Lexar 256MB Flush with a nail file - No slits or gaps, no problems.
    Last edited by treo600cdma; 12/22/2003 at 10:16 PM.
    Originally posted by imageone
    Sandpaper, files, Dremel tool, tape! you people are nuts! I can't believe that the SD Card think bothers you that much. I've had my 600 for over two months now and it's popped out maybe three or four times. It's mostly about the user. If you handle the 600 with care and watch what your doing, this want happen.
    Yeah, that must be it!

We're all doing it wrong!

That "push to eject" feature is TOUGH to master...
    i have actually never had my card accidently pop out. i guess maybe i just never grip it or push it there (whenever i use the slipcase i push the antenna) but even when i do pop it out it pops just outside of the device at which point an internal mechanism seems to grip on to it. Perhaps this was part of hardware revision c? anyway, i just dont see the possibility of this being a problem.

btw, i have a 256mb lexar and 256mb sandisk.
    I have 2, Sandisk 128 and Sandisk 256, both filed. The first one was the 128, I did file until I opened up two small slits. I covered them with some modeling cement and all is fine. The second one I did stop before going through the case.

I did use a dremel with the 60 grit sandpaper wheel.

Take your time so you don't take off too much!

No problems removing either since you push it in for the release...
    Gene
    The only time mine pops out is when I push down on it, and that was reduced further when I put some tape around it.
    add me to the list of sandpapered SD owners.

I bought a sandisk 512 sd card for $99 special sears online and almost lost it 2 or 3 times on a golf trip to Biloxy.

I just used the plastic fake sd card as a template and sanded my sd card at the same angles, etc. it has a slight curve across width wise and a slight angle from the depth of it (same as the fake one that came with phone).

I've had no problems, but I was willing to lose warranty over the risk of losing the card altogether. I also tried the tape thing for a few days and that was ugly and too gummy for my taste.

*i need to also add that i have a rev. c and it is correct that when the sd card pops out a mechanism keeps it from falling out. i've tested this holding the phone upside down with the card popped out. Card doesn't budge. I'm not worried about losing warranty and i was still tired of accidents pop-outs of the card even though with rev. c phones there's almost no chance of losing the card as stated above. i personally prefer having the card flush but it's not near a concern i thought it'd be, but sanding the card cures a nuisance which appeases my superficial-side.
    Last edited by peyote; 12/22/2003 at 11:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Did you get a "slit" in the top of the card?
    If so, what did you use to fill it?
    --jaslo
    My card never pops out. Never happend even once. I wonder if they fixed this on later modles.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast