1.    #1  
    I have "Delete Also From Server" enabled under IMAP preferences. Yet when I delete an email and go to the fastmail web page, there's a line through the email, yet it still appears to be on the server. Is there any way to remove the message in its entirety from fastmail, so that i don't have to log on periodically to clear out messages that I don't want to save?
    I'll be adding that later this week, but for now, no.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for being such a responsive developer, Marc. I'll be looking forward to your updates.
    Marc, the Chatter and Fastmail thing has been running very well with no problems at all. It is neat getting the mail and being able to respond to it with a minimal amount of delay.

Ben

Originally posted by neill
    I have "Delete Also From Server" enabled under IMAP preferences. Yet when I delete an email and go to the fastmail web page, there's a line through the email, yet it still appears to be on the server. Is there any way to remove the message in its entirety from fastmail, so that i don't have to log on periodically to clear out messages that I don't want to save?
  5.    #5  
    The Expunge deleted items feature in your new beta (1.0.4.8b2) works like a champ, Marc!

I can now take my T600 on vacation next week in lieu of my laptop without worrying about my allotment on the fastmail server being used up

And thank you also for responding to the occasional crash issue in this version.

You're the best.
    Hey Marc, when are you going to write a Chatter for my Nokia I'm dying over here.
    Oh, man. I'd like to get Chatter running on that and the Kyocera; just don't know where to find the time!

Marc
    Originally posted by neill
    The Expunge deleted items feature in your new beta (1.0.4.8b2) works like a champ, Marc!
    I'm sure it's because English isn't my native language, but I had no idea what the Expunge function was meant to do until I read this post. And I still had to look up "Expunge" in my dictionairy.

Merriam Webster is suggesting "Erase" as an alternative which would certainly be easier to understand for foreigners.

Just a detail, really.
    Originally posted by Mol

I'm sure it's because English isn't my native language, but I had no idea what the Expunge function was meant to do until I read this post. And I still had to look up "Expunge" in my dictionairy.

Merriam Webster is suggesting "Erase" as an alternative which would certainly be easier to understand for foreigners.

Just a detail, really.
    Don't feel bad. I first heard the word 2 years ago and had to do the same.
    Guess you guys have never been arrested and had your record "expunged"
    and I do know what expunge means generally, but I still am not positive what it does in chatter. Does it delete from server on the fly vs the setting that removes all deletes from server or? Sorry for being so dense...
    can someone (Marc?) give a simple explanation of the difference between POP3 and IMAP?

Upon reading in a reply by Marc that Fastmail is great, i went to their website and it does look impressive, i just don't know much (read anything) about IMAP to understand the importance. I am currently paying Microsoft $20/year for an 'upgraded' MSN account, still withour POP3 though.

Thanx.
    Internet Message Access Protocol

Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is a standard protocol for accessing e-mail from your local server. IMAP (the latest version is IMAP4) is a client/server protocol in which e-mail is received and held for you by your Internet server. You (or your e-mail client) can view just the heading and the sender of the letter and then decide whether to download the mail. You can also create and manipulate folders or mailboxes on the server, delete messages, or search for certain parts or an entire note. IMAP requires continual access to the server during the time that you are working with your mail.

A less sophisticated protocol is Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3). With POP3, your mail is saved for you in your mail box on the server. When you read your mail, all of it is immediately downloaded to your computer and no longer maintained on the server.

IMAP can be thought of as a remote file server. POP can be thought of as a "store-and-forward" service.

POP and IMAP deal with the receiving of e-mail from your local server and are not to be confused with Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), a protocol for transferring e-mail between points on the Internet. You send e-mail with SMTP and a mail handler receives it on your recipient's behalf. Then the mail is read using POP or IMAP.

POP3

POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3) is the most recent version of a standard protocol for receiving e-mail. POP3 is a client/server protocol in which e-mail is received and held for you by your Internet server. Periodically, you (or your client e-mail receiver) check your mail-box on the server and download any mail. POP3 is built into the Netmanage suite of Internet products and one of the most popular e-mail products, Eudora. It's also built into the Netscape and Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers.

An alternative protocol is Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP). With IMAP, you view your e-mail at the server as though it was on your client computer. An e-mail message deleted locally is still on the server. E-mail can be kept on and searched at the server.

POP can be thought of as a "store-and-forward" service. IMAP can be thought of as a remote file server.

POP and IMAP deal with the receiving of e-mail and are not to be confused with the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), a protocol for transferring e-mail across the Internet. You send e-mail with SMTP and a mail handler receives it on your recipient's behalf. Then the mail is read using POP or IMAP.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by dalmiabk
    can someone (Marc?) give a simple explanation of the difference between POP3 and IMAP?

Upon reading in a reply by Marc that Fastmail is great, i went to their website and it does look impressive, i just don't know much (read anything) about IMAP to understand the importance. I am currently paying Microsoft $20/year for an 'upgraded' MSN account, still withour POP3 though.

Thanx.
    I was kind of in the same boat as you. Basically, from what I read and what I have experienced with Fastmail, the IMAP mail is delivered to your phone/computer/whatever INSTANTLY. You do not have to set up your mail program to check for e-mail every so often. I guess it would be fair to say that it will use less data and could even help with battery if you don't have to keep checking for your e-mail. I signed up with Fastmail (on Marc's recommendation) and have been very happy. The ONLY thing I can't seem to get it to do is check my POP mail for me and I believe this is because of the POP server I have, not because of a problem with Fastmail.
    There's a useful discussion of what IMAP provides with Chatter (and may provide in addition in the future) here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...43483/s/h.html

Don't forget that if you need help with FastMail.FM that isn't Chatter-specific, you should use the independent FastMail.FM forum at www.emaildiscussions.com .
    Jeremy Howard
    www.fastmail.fm
    Is it possible to setup a Fastmail account in the HS mail client?
    Originally posted by lb505

The ONLY thing I can't seem to get it to do is check my POP mail for me and I believe this is because of the POP server I have, not because of a problem with Fastmail.
    Well, whatever issue my pop server was having with Fastmail, it's all cleared up now. Fastmail checks my pop mail for me every couple of hours and forwards that mail to my phone. No need to have HS mail check my pop mail anymore. I feel so free

Newtreouser, I don't believe you can use HS mail with Fastmail.
    Fast mail is nice, I agree. If you are looking for IMAP mail here are a couple of other alternatives.

Runbox www.runbox.com Not free. $29.95 anually for 100mb email AND 100mb file storage. The file thing is a central place to store files that you can ftp to from your phone. The mail portion will check your mail as often as every 10 minutes, not every couple hours like fastmail.

Fusemail www.fusemail.com Free. No major limits at this time and does work pretty well.

Just my 2 cents.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    Is it possible to setup a Fastmail account in the HS mail client?
    Yes. The HS mail client is POP-only, so you'll need a Full account at FastMail.FM. Or, you can access it through Blazer, which is fully compatible with the web interface.

Woof: if you're interested in using File Storage at FastMail.FM, you can access it through www.fastmail.fm/beta . It uses HTTP instead of FTP.
    Jeremy Howard
    www.fastmail.fm