1.    #1  
    Hi!

I've been all over the place trying to find good information about this topic. Basically, I am about to convert over to Cingular Wireless from Verizon and have to give-up my Kyocera 6035 SmartPhone (Palm/PDA/phone). I've been surfing through E-Bay looking for a cheap Treo 270 and see a lot of them for sale that have previously been used on the T-Mobil network (or some Treo 270s where they were sold by T-Mobil but never activated/used).

Some of the reading I've done, through these discussion threads, seems to indicate that you could buy a T-Mobil labelled Treo 270 and use it on the Cingular network if you call T-Mobil and give them the Treo 270 radio ID and SIM ID and then ask for the unlock code. Once you "unlock the phone" you can then slip the SIM card from your "free" Cingular Wireless phone (you know, the ones they give away with a 2-year service contract) into the Treo 270 and it should work.

This all sounds real good, and logical too, but has anyone actually done this? The reason that I am asking is that there are not many Cingular-Treo 270s for sale on E-Bay as there are T-Mobil Treo 270s so it would be a lot easier for me to get a good deal on a T-Mobil Treo 270 and then convert it over for use on the Cingular network. Here are my main concerns:

1. I blow the money on a T-Mobil Treo 270 off of E-Bay, call T-Mobil with the data off of the phone and the SIM that they require and then be told that I am not the original owner of the phone so therefore they cannot give me the unlock code for it.

2. The T-Mobil Treo 270 will not accept the brand new SIM card from my "free" Cingular wireless phone (probably a Nokia).

I decided on Cingular due to the Roll-Over feature which my wife and I need based on our current Verizon usage. Also, I have to get a deal on a Treo-270 from E-Bay or some other understanding soul out there since I work on an Army salary and am supporting a wife and two kids (so blowing $200-$300 for a brand new Treo just isn't possible for me).

If anyone has any experience with this please post it here. If you upgraded to a Treo 600 and have a very good to excellent condition Treo 270 that you'd like to unload, and can accept what I can pay, great.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Chris R. (Treo 270 wannabe)
    Here's what I've been told by Handspring and Cingular. Handspring told me that T-Mobile CAN unlock the phone and it SHOULD be able to work with Cingular. However, a Cingular rep told me that they operate on a lower broadcast band than T-mobile. Most Cingular bands are in the 800-900 range while T-Mobile is in the 1900 range. He is currently checking to see if the phone WILL definately work. I'm hoping so because I have a 270, which I Love, and I want to switch to Cingular without having to buy a new phone.
    Cingular Wireless GSM 1900 Networks in the following States ONLY; CA, NV, ID, WA, NC, SC, Eastern Tennessee and Eastern Georgia.
    Add CT to that list. I use my t270 up and down the coast and only have a few spots with no cingular coverage. I live right outside of Bridgeport, and while wandering, I'm able to latch to select t_moble in the select networks and connect fine.
    I bought a treo 270 on ebay from the States. I received in Rome, Italy and I discovered that it's locked with TMobile...
    I tried www.1tigerdirect.com but didn't work.
    Now I think that even if I could obtain the unlocking code from TMobile I would not be in the position to use it in Italy.
    Do you think that I should send it back in the US, or Handspring could do something?
    I am looking to purchase a 270 as well. I guess I should contact Cingular to see if the phone can be used in my area? Western Massachusetts.

What bands does the 270 support, anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by philski
    Here's what I've been told by Handspring and Cingular. Handspring told me that T-Mobile CAN unlock the phone and it SHOULD be able to work with Cingular. However, a Cingular rep told me that they operate on a lower broadcast band than T-mobile. Most Cingular bands are in the 800-900 range while T-Mobile is in the 1900 range. He is currently checking to see if the phone WILL definately work. I'm hoping so because I have a 270, which I Love, and I want to switch to Cingular without having to buy a new phone.
    the best thing to do is find someone with an active cingular sim card and place it into your pphone to see if it works
    and umm what happened to all of my posts..why does it only say 6... last time i was here it said 50 somethign
    I bought a Treo 180 that was locked to T-Mobile on Ebay. The 180 uses the same GSM900/1900 frequencies that the 270 uses. I unlocked the phone with a procedure that I got from Tiger Direct. I then bought Cingular service with a cheap Nokia phone and moved the SIM card to the Treo 180 and it worked great. I was even able to connect to the character mode "wireless web" with the Blazer browser and it worked fine, if a bit slow, in graphics mode for full graphical browsing for the price of minutes only, not their pricey digital service. Cingular never knew that I had changed phones. This is in the Chicago area.

I would suggest that you not mention this to Cingular. They get pissed at you for using a phone that they haven't "approved". This is probably to prevent things like my web browsing. From what I can tell, the "locking" process changes which systems you can use to connect to for internet use, and a fully unlocked phone has more options for circuit-switched browsing.

BTW, I'm looking to upgrade to a Treo 270 if anybody's got one that they are done with from upgrading to a Treo 600. I'd kind of like a color screen.
    Last edited by ldheinz; 05/09/2004 at 11:16 PM.