Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's my initial impression.

The Treo 600 is a cool phone. Has a camera, a speakerphone, and all that. And being able to iSync with my Mac for the first time is terrific.

It takes advantage of Sprint's Vision services, which is the best deal on high-speed data right now, in my estimation. Faster than T-Mobile's GPRS. (Although EDGE may eventually change the equation, currently available GSM Treos are not EDGE-capable.)

The Treo 600 has the Palm OS, and all the software options that that entails. If you want a certain obscure kind of functionality, you can probably download some program to do that.

It has a keyboard, approximately 1/3 the size of the keyboard on the Sidekick. It will never be as comfortable to type on, but over time, you do get used to it a bit.

Now, that's what it does have.

After a few days of use, I realize that what it doesn't have is the elegance of the Sidekick - in the way that things work together. You don't have to download an e-mail program or an instant messenger.

Everything on the Sidekick is integrated; everything works together (think iLife on the Mac.) The Treo is more similar to a PC in that it gives you lots of options, but those options don't necessarily work together as seamlessly.

The Palm OS doesn't multitask, so if you turn away from a web page for a second to check your calendar, you have to start all the way over when you return to the browser - rendering the page from scratch. If you happen to be using the browser or e-mail and a call comes in, it shoots straight to voice mail - it doesn't even give you any options.

On the Sidekick, you can simultaneously IM, read e-mail, and surf the web, and the caching seems more sophisticated. (The way it reloads pages, I'm wondering if the Treo browser has caching at all). Phone calls come through.

And, the value of the proxy in the Sidekick browser has become more apparent to me. I thought I'd have it made with Sprint Vision - but truth be told, the non-proxy new version of Blazer is at least as slow as the Sidekick. The big upside is some JavaScript support (the whole reason I bought the Treo) and it does seem to deliver on that count.

I am also surprised (so far) at the dearth of good freeware for the Palm platform. People seem awfully eager to charge you $35 bucks for things. That's all fine and good, but on the Mac, I've been happy to find a lot of nice freeware solutions.

In terms of relaxing at lunch, e-mailing a friend, and reading an article on nytimes.com - it seems more plausible to do that on the Color Sidekick. More pixels to work with. The more comfortable keyboard figures into the equation, too.

That said, I wasn't as bummed out about the low-res LCD as some Treo users were. It's adequate. The touch screen is cool, and the camera is slightly less crappy than the SK camera.

Would it be obnoxious overkill for me to keep both my Treo and my Sidekick? Maybe. But for true push e-mail, the SK is hard to beat. And having a Palm-based, iSync friendly phone like the Treo is way cool too.

I just might.

I also think the Treo has really cool future potential as more apps are developed for Palm OS. For example, I'm looking forward to trying PocketTunes Deluxe, which allows you to listen to Shoutcast transmissions. Neat idea.

That's my initial impression. Glad to answer any specific questions.
    i've had a sk since the grey model came out, and i've had the hardest time migrating to my t600 (tmobile). i just wish there more multithreading apps available.. especially a web browser and a good ssh2 client. luckly gsm will drop data connections to accept phone calls.

having fun with shoutcast.. and there are more games available. but miss the interoperability/multitasking of sidekick, altho verichat/ptunes works well. i can type at least 10% faster on sidekick.
    I have a few points of contention to take up with you, sir.
    1. You can stop looking at a webpage, go to calender or somesuch, then go back to the same spot you were. Set your browser to display bookmarks rather than homepage. Then when you're ready to go back to the webpage you were looking at launch browser. Bookmarks comes up. Click on one (doesn't matter which) and for a second the last page you were on displays. Simply click the "stop" symbol in the bottom area and it stays on the page you were on. Voila!
    2. While I've never owned a Robin a very good friend does. I can't comment on the elegance of functionality but I do know he sounds like Weird Al in the Nirvana parody when I talk to him. It is utterly annoying.
    3. Yes. It is not acceptable for you to keep both. This could lead a person to believe the 600 is not all it is. Unacceptable. Ditch Robin and keep the Treo.
    I get phone calls while browsing the web all the time. Not sure what you're x
  5.    #5  
    Simply click the "stop" symbol in the bottom area and it stays on the page you were on. Voila!
    That's not quite elegant and seamless, is it?

I believe the shoot-to-voicemail when using data thing is limited to Sprint users. Not an issue in GSM.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Treo, and am eager to like it even better. But it's not as out-of-the-box perfect as I had been led to believe.

Of course, the Sidekick is an AWFUL phone... so let's throw that in for equal time purposes.
    The Palm OS doesn't multitask, so if you turn away from a web page for a second to check your calendar, you have to start all the way over when you return to the browser - rendering the page from scratch. If you happen to be using the browser or e-mail and a call comes in, it shoots straight to voice mail - it doesn't even give you any options.

On the Sidekick, you can simultaneously IM, read e-mail, and surf the web, and the caching seems more sophisticated. (The way it reloads pages, I'm wondering if the Treo browser has caching at all). Phone calls come through.
    Some coreections here, the problems you state are b/c of the nature of 1xrtt (CDMA) and NOT becuase of the PalmOS. 1xrtt does NOT allow the dual use of voice and data simutaniously. Thus when you're on an active data connecton (green arrows), a voice call will automatically be routed to voicemail be it on a Treo, PPC phone or whatever. This different from "Class B" gprs devices which was what your Sidkekick was. Class B mobile phones can be attached to both GPRS and GSM services, using one service at a time. Class B enables making or receiving a voice call, or sending/receiving an SMS during a GPRS connection. During voice calls or SMS, GPRS services are suspended and then resumed automatically after the call or SMS session has ended. This is in essence what you are describng with your Sidekick and ALSO exactly what you would have been experiencing with a GSM Treo600 if you had chosen that version! The GSM Treo600 also has a bundled email client and sms/mmc application already installed unlike the cdma Treo600. Thus almost all of your complaints are wrong in reagrds to the platform and pertain to the wireless standard. However, Sprint was definitely wrong not to bundle the HS email client.
    Regarding the page reloads, make sure you've set your browser cache to a large enough settings. Form my experience page reloads often don't take that long at all if I have to switch from blazer to an app and then back again...

And, the value of the proxy in the Sidekick browser has become more apparent to me. I thought I'd have it made with Sprint Vision - but truth be told, the non-proxy new version of Blazer is at least as slow as the Sidekick. The big upside is some JavaScript support (the whole reason I bought the Treo) and it does seem to deliver on that count.
    Also, realize the sidekick proxy service only works for sidekicks and limits what can be viewed. Anyway, there are 3rd party proxy services you can use for your Treo if you want to. Just do a search...

I am also surprised (so far) at the dearth of good freeware for the Palm platform. People seem awfully eager to charge you $35 bucks for things. That's all fine and good, but on the Mac, I've been happy to find a lot of nice freeware solutions.
    All I can say is you need to search harder!

In terms of relaxing at lunch, e-mailing a friend, and reading an article on nytimes.com - it seems more plausible to do that on the Color Sidekick. More pixels to work with. The more comfortable keyboard figures into the equation, too.
    The Sidekick has a 240x160 pixel display vs the 160x160 rez display of the Treo600. True, this means the Sidekick has %50 overall more pixels than the Treo600, but is more to do with the aspect ratio of the screen than anything else. The Sidekick's rectangular screen allows it to have greater number of pixels, but the overall pixel density is the same as the Treo600. Thus, images are not any sharper on the Sidekick, but you do have a bit more screen realestate to view web pages. But this also causes the Sidkick to have an attroctious form factor, in fact one of the worst phone sizes around imo. Thus I would persoanlly have the more handy Treo600 form factor than the clunky Sidekick which from my limited experience is not very comfortable to use as a phone...

I also think the Treo has really cool future potential as more apps are developed for Palm OS. For example, I'm looking forward to trying PocketTunes Deluxe, which allows you to listen to Shoutcast transmissions. Neat idea.
    I think you've scratched the surface there. It's not just about Ptunes, but also the abilty to leverage the full potential of palmOS on the Treo600! For example in addition to email, word proc (DTG6), Mobile TS RDS, Mergic VPN, ebooks, DB's, med apps, various emu's (like GG/NES), Kinoma, MMplayer, etc etc. There's alot of functionality on the Treo that is simply not possible on the sidekick. If you don't need/want any of this, then the Sidekick is probably teh best bet, but otherwise the Treo600 is just more powerful...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    gfunkmagic, thanks for the cache suggestion... i was just searching around for that, thinking it might help.

definitely looking forward to discovering more....
    - On the GSM versions, the email app is included. But it took all of two minutes for me to find + install that and an IM app for the Sprint Treo 600.

- My Treo 600 is plenty integrated. But I know Palms well and chose the best apps to make such a slick setup. But if you're a newbie, a couple hours spent reading posts here will help you find the wheat in all the chaff of Palm apps. At least PalmOS gives you that option because of the variety of apps available.

- I don't find lack of true multitasking a problem. The next OS revision will have it if you really need it. I prefer the KISS principle and wonder if multitasking will create more problems than it's worth for Palm.

- GSM Treo 600s give you the option to answer phone calls if you're online when they come in.

- If you think there's a dearth of good freeware for PalmOS you obviously don't know much about the platform. There is so much good freeware that it's easy to get by without any commercial apps. And fantastic shareware (like DateBk5) typically costs between $10 - $30. Given the use you get out of these apps, that's a criminally low price to pay.
  9.    #9  
    No, I'd agree. I'm new to the platform. I make no claim to being knowledgable about Palm. But I've been scouring the forums, trying to learn quickly.

I downloaded the Mail beta this afternoon. And at least it doesn't lock up my Treo as SnapperMail has done twice so far.

I'm hopeful the good stuff is out there as far as freeware, but so far, the only places I've known to look are handango and versiontracker.

Are there other places I should be looking? And what freeware proxy browser and freeware real-time push e-mail software would you recommend?
  10.    #10  
    Also, realize the sidekick proxy service only works for sidekicks and limits what can be viewed
    What do you mean? I have never seen a page that it wouldn't go to or an image it would not display.

It does strip graphics down to a smaller bandwidth version of the original - but there's nothing you can't view.

Do you mean like, censorship, or are you talking about not being able to do JavaScript sites?

The latter is certainly true, and its, uh, why I'm here. : )
    Jumping in for a moment - if you want to IM in the background, look at Chatter. It also handles email and supports IMAP operation. It does handle "push" mail from an IMAP server.

Take care. Ben

Originally posted by macfreak
    No, I'd agree. I'm new to the platform. I make no claim to being knowledgable about Palm. But I've been scouring the forums, trying to learn quickly.

I downloaded the Mail beta this afternoon. And at least it doesn't lock up my Treo as SnapperMail has done twice so far.

I'm hopeful the good stuff is out there as far as freeware, but so far, the only places I've known to look are handango and versiontracker.

Are there other places I should be looking? And what freeware proxy browser and freeware real-time push e-mail software would you recommend?
    check out palmgear as well for apps (www.palmgear.com)
    Looking for Palm freeware, and thousands of low-cost apps? Handango hides the freebies. You want PalmGear.com. Upper left side includes a drop-down "browse titles by" box. Use it to select "freeware". Also:

http://www.palmopensource.com/

http://www.freewarepalm.com/moresoftware.shtml
    I had a CSK and liked it well enough, but I could never figure out how to carry the thing. I do think the 600 beats it handily for functionality (you can actually talk on the phone, for one thing), but even more than that, the form is the most important factor.

The SK, together with it's camera, is far too large. I'd be happier with a smaller version of the 600, but for now it fits adequately in a pocket, which is the number one test for a portable communications device.
  15.    #15  
    Just returned from a trip to a town in the next county. SnapperMail crashes my Treo once a day.

It tries to check mail and (maybe when I step in a building or something) can't connect to Vision and gets stuck on "Canceling...."

Getting very tired of these soft resets. Is there another way to get out of that?
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    ...GSM Treo 600s give you the option to answer phone calls if you're online when they come in.
    At the moment I and a number of other GSM users (see this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ferrerid=14981

)

have tested dialing our Treos while the GPRS data connection is active (not just connected but actually fetching email, a web page or whatever) and unfortunately the calls are diverting straight to voicemail.

At the moment there is some debate as to whether this might be a problem limited to Orange (Uk & Europe) so if any US GSM users would like to test...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    earlier today I found something on the ATT FAQ's regarding the Treo600 that also indicated that downloading data and being on a voice call CANNOT happen simultaneously. I'm desperately trying to find the website again so I can post the link.
    That sucks, I think we were all under the impression that this was one of the major differences between the CDMA and GSM versions.....
  18.    #18  
    I don't think any of them on any carrier can do voice/data simultaneously.

The difference is that GSM will interrupt your GPRS transaction and allow you to take the call. It doesn't continue your data operation at that time. However, it does resume upon the end of your conversation.

Isn't that what the fellow said above?
    I think the main question is "how will you use the device". I used the Sidekick for the past year. It was great for e-mail/web/IM, and had a very cool flip.

Because my job requires a good deal of word processing/ spreadsheet stuff (I'm a school principal - I'm frequently in halls, cafe, etc., and need access while mobile), the SK wasn't a natural fit. I had to put stuff into Notes and transfer them into Word....etc.

The Treo is a great fit, as it does the e-mail/web/IM (perhaps not quite as seamlessly as the SK, but well enough), and can synch with MSOffice products - in addition, I can attach a larger keyboard for longer memos, meetings, and so forth.

So I'm a recovering SK user and Treo junkie - I don't think we need to bash either, but simply recognize the different clientele that each phone services.
    Originally posted by macfreak
    I don't think any of them on any carrier can do voice/data simultaneously.

The difference is that GSM will interrupt your GPRS transaction and allow you to take the call. It doesn't continue your data operation at that time. However, it does resume upon the end of your conversation.

Isn't that what the fellow said above?
    Don't know if you were referring to me, but what I said above is that testing has shown (at least with Orange) that a voice call does NOT interrupt a GPRS data session but instead the call goes to voicemail. Since this is not what people seem to expect, is it a bug with the 600 or a problem with the Orange network?
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast