Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Sorry, I was referring to gfunkmagic. I should have been more clear.
    Originally posted by Bujin
    I think the main question is "how will you use the device". I used the Sidekick for the past year. It was great for e-mail/web/IM, and had a very cool flip.

Sidekick = no software, horrible phone + too large. I can't see these things being around much longer.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Sidekick = no software, horrible phone + too large. I can't see these things being around much longer.
    On the other hand, the Treo 600 is a hot fashion accessory for cool kids. Carrying the SideKick is like wearing a sign that says, "I'm a flaming geek-nerd, so kick me!!!".

Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Originally posted by dnheller

On the other hand, the Treo 600 is a hot fashion accessory for cool kids. Carrying the SideKick is like wearing a sign that says, "I'm a flaming geek-nerd, so kick me!!!".

Umm.. actually I think it's the opposite with the Sidekick being the cool fashion accessory for Rappers and Hip Hop artistist (at least according to Jay Z videos) and the Treo for geeky nerd types...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by macfreak

What do you mean? I have never seen a page that it wouldn't go to or an image it would not display.

It does strip graphics down to a smaller bandwidth version of the original - but there's nothing you can't view.

Do you mean like, censorship, or are you talking about not being able to do JavaScript sites?

The latter is certainly true, and its, uh, why I'm here. : )
    Yeah, I was referring to Javascript etc...

I don't think any of them on any carrier can do voice/data simultaneously.

The difference is that GSM will interrupt your GPRS transaction and allow you to take the call. It doesn't continue your data operation at that time. However, it does resume upon the end of your conversation.

Isn't that what the fellow said above?
    Actually what I was referring to was Class B gprs devices specifically! Class A gprs mobile phones can be connected to both GPRS and GSM services simultaneously while Class C mobile phones need to switch manually between services. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Class$ $A$ $is$ $only$ $found$ $in$ $data$ $cards$. $Furthermore$, $future$ $iterations$/$releases$ $of$ $CDMA2000$ $such$ $as$ $1xEvDv$ $will$ $also$ $support$ $simutaneous$ $data$/$voice$. $It$'$s$ $expected$ $Sprint$ $will$ $launch$ $Release$ $D$ $version$ $of$ $this$ $technology$ $in$ $the$ $future$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Umm.. actually I think it's the opposite with the Sidekick being the cool fashion accessory for Rappers and Hip Hop artistist (at least according to Jay Z videos) and the Treo for geeky nerd types...
    Rappers and HipHop artists (using the term "artist" loosely) hardly represent the majority of the population. I've seen more Treo 600's since their first release than SideKicks (or any other device, if there are any, based on the Danger platform).

The geekyness of the Sidekick comes from it's size and requirement to use two hands to do most functions. Treo 600 requires only one hand for virtually everything (unless one has freakishly large or small hands).

Treo 600 = small, discreet
    Sidekick = large, obvious (but isn't vulgar ostentatiousness what Rap and HipHop are all about?).

Treo is hot, Sidekick is not. Q.E.D.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY SARCASM AND SATIRE SERIOUSLY
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
  7.    #27  
    I tell you, I almost sent the Treo back this morning.

But I think I might try to stick it out and keep working on finding Apps and such.

And in the meantime, continue to carry both devices.

I'll tell you one thing I love about the Sidekick. You glance at it, and there it is: your e-mail inbox.

You don't have to push a button or turn on the screen, or open anything. It's just there, available to you, 24/7.

Now, if you push a button, the backlighting comes on, but the text itself is always there. I love that.
    I tell you, I almost sent the Treo back this morning.

But I think I might try to stick it out and keep working on finding Apps and such.

And in the meantime, continue to carry both devices.

I'll tell you one thing I love about the Sidekick. You glance at it, and there it is: your e-mail inbox.

You don't have to push a button or turn on the screen, or open anything. It's just there, available to you, 24/7.

Now, if you push a button, the backlighting comes on, but the text itself is always there. I love that.

How's the battery life on the SK? Just curious.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Macfreak,

Don't be fooled by first impressions from the Palm software base and the dozens of people trying to make you pay anywhere from $10 to $35 for the same stupid application to "calculate tips" or some other nonsense. There are tons of those, but at the same time there are some real freeware gems as well as some very inexpensive shareware ones.

It's just like the Windows shareware and freeware communities. People who are unknowledgable about them think there's nothing but crappy scam applications, but that's just because there's so many of them, which leads to common misconceptions such as "Mac has better freeware", when in reality the Windows side is full of real software gems... so, it's very similar on the Palm. There's simply so much software that you need to get to know it a little bit. Just keep looking
    I am very impressed by the Sidekick II. While considerably larger than a Treo 600, the SKII has an amazingly "smart" interface. For example, typing on the phone screen, it will try to figure out whether you want to dial a number or a name, by looking it up in the phone book. Smart. The external Keys on the SKII (no less than 17 of them) are easy to use. The same button will always get you back to certain menus. Any Joe will understand how to use it. For the experienced user, most pairs of buttons are feature shortcuts. Even Smarter.

On the other hand, the Treo is great in that it has unlimited program compatibilities, sync capabilities and touchscreen.

I like both devices alot, but the designers of SKII seem to really have thought about UI alot more. Sounds are prepackaged, (some admittedly tacky), Applications have a consistent UI and everything seems just two menu/click levels away. I know that this device will be perfect for my father.

UPDATE: The Sidekick II came in. Email and "multi tasking" is pretty good, but HTML GPRS is HORRID. Apparently, the proxy engine (on the T-mobile/Danger side) for images is very much overloaded so the sidekick sits idling until it gets an image from the proxy server. Straight web page processing is as quick as treo 600, but Loading pages with Images is a 45 second to two minute longer affair! (using slashdot.org or cnn.com as a reference)
    Last edited by onpaws; 01/14/2005 at 12:17 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12