Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Those of you who are missing profiles in their Treo 600 you can try this very simple application. Please use this application in your own risk, I'm pretty sure there is plenty of bufs (memory leaks etc) but I believe for couple of you it can be worth of to try it.

Release History:

Oct 19, 2004: 0.24

- a bug fix release (Power Off After, Call forwarding)

Oct 11, 2004: 0.23

- a bug fix release

Oct 10, 2004: 0.22

- a new calendar driven trigger added
    - an option to disable the integrated profile scheduler added

Oct 05, 2004: 0.21

- a bug fix release

Oct 05, 2004: 0.20

- an improved profile scheduler implemented
    - an interface to external applications added

Sep 12, 2004: 0.19

- timed profiles added
    - profile triggers added
    - simple txt user guide added

Feb 25, 2004: 0.18

- no new features, maintenance (bug fixing) realease only.

From now on I'm moving Profiles to PalmGear.com (http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...e&prodid=55044).

Feb 6, 2004: 0.17

- General/Colors popup added (Color theme support).
    - Display/Light mode popup added.

Feb 2, 2004: 0.16

- CDMA call forwarding fixed
    - Beam Receive fixed

Jan 27, 2004: 0.15

- CDMA call forwarding fixes
    - Stay On When Powered implemented
    - other fixes

Jan 23, 2004: 0.14

- an attempt to make mute option working

Jan 17, 2004: 0.13

- stupid bug crashing the Treo after pressing down the switcher launch key fixed.

Jan 17, 2004: 0.12

- minor bugs fixed
    - yet another attempt to make Profiles notifier compatible with other apps (Megaclock, ...)

Jan 13, 2004: 0.11

- Notifier bug (maybe) fixed

Jan 12, 2004: 0.10

- major bug fixed

Jan 11, 2004: 0.09

- every profile component (Display, Sound...) might be enabled/disabled within the profile to preserve the current settings for this component.

Jan 10, 2004: 0.08

!EXPERIMENTAL!

- 'Mute' option added to 'General' profile panel. You should be able to mute Treo completely now :-)
    - A new panel called 'Phone' has been added. You can configure a different call forwarding option for each profile now. There are three new options there. First one, 'Manage call forwarding', if enabled, will try to change your phones 'Forward all calls' option to the one specified in the profile. This operation is VERY slow (your phone has to negotiate with your network provider to set this up), thats why this switch is provided there for those of us who are not interested in this.. :-) Then there is a checkbox called 'Forward all calls'. If you set this option to 'Don't forward calls', your calls won't be redirected anywhere, if you set it to 'Forward calls to the number...', then you have to specify a number below, where all calls will be redirected to. I can't guarantee it's working right now, there some differencies between GSM and CDMA (I have GSM only), so consider this option as a experimental one, but give it a try :-)
    There is another important fact, after you switch between profiles with different call forwarding setup, the phone still shows in 'Options/Call Preferences' the old call forwarding setiup. You have to tap 'Get Status' to see an actual settings...

- A new panel called 'Profile' has been added. Right now, the only thing you can do there, is to disable the profile notifier for the current profile. I don't know why but some of you required this :-) Other options (timed profile etc) should appear there soon.

- The Profiles application will try to upgrade its profile database to the latest version. If there is any problem with the app after hotsync or so, please delete the previous version (including your profiles of course) and install the latest one after the deletion.

Jan 1, 2004: 0.07
    - Alarm sound added to 'General' prefernce panel
    - several bug fixes

Dec 30, 2003: 0.06
    - various bug fixes

Dec 28, 2003: 0.05
    - active profile notifier implemented - experimental
    - Preference panel added to the Profiles menu

Dec 25, 2003: 0.04
    - The application reworked to be a part of the system preference
    - Pressing & holding down the option button pops up/down a simple profile switcher

Dec 19, 2003: 0.03
    - User Interface cleanup according to Palm UI guidelines

Dec 17, 2003: 0.02
    - integrated preference editor
    - additional preferences supported (Display, General, Keyguard)

Dec ?, 2003: 0.01
    - initial release, Sound preference supported
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by milan; 10/19/2004 at 04:17 PM.
    great work, good start. I'd love to see future updates. Maybe we can get different ringers for different profiles rather than just volumes.

Nice one!!!!
    How about an option to switch profiles jusy by using the side volume buttons?

For example, when you are in the main launcher screen, hitting volume down will pop up a dialog saying "Profilexxx activated" then disappear. Hitting volume down again will cycle to the next profile and so forth.

IMO, the volume keys don't serve much use anyways. You either set it to the loudest or silent (via the top switch). Therefore, increasing/decreasing volume is not much of a used feature.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    great work, good start. I'd love to see future updates. Maybe we can get different ringers for different profiles rather than just volumes.

Nice one!!!!
    You can have different ringers for each profile even now but you can't edit these ringers with this version of Profiles application. Each time a new profile is created a snapshot of the phone's sounds preference is taken (including ringers, sound volume etc) and stored into the profiles database. So if you want to create different ringers for each of your profiles first prepare phone sounds preference in the way you like to have your profile, then start the Profiles app and press 'New' to create a new profile. Reapeat this sequence for all of your profiles. Then each time you activate a profile, a complete snapshot of the sounds preference is restored into the phone including ringers, volumes etc.

I'm planning to add a support for display brightness and other preferences into the next version of Profiles :-)
    Originally posted by milan
    Those of you who are missing profiles in their Treo 600 you can try this very simple application. Currently it's available in 0.01 version :-) and the only thing it does is to maintain a database of snapshots of Treo 600 'Sounds' preferences. Please use this application in your own risk, I'm pretty sure there is plenty of bufs (memory leaks etc) but I believe for couple of you it can be worth of to try it.
    wow, great work on this application. Do you think there is any chance on finding a way that we can change profiles more quickly, maybe using one of hardware buttons to scroll through or change profiles?

Once again, great work on this.
    Nice job!!

Thanks very much!

Ton
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by paulsjmail

wow, great work on this application. Do you think there is any chance on finding a way that we can change profiles more quickly, maybe using one of hardware buttons to scroll through or change profiles?

Once again, great work on this.
    Yes, in the next release - 0.02 :-) I'm going to split the app into two modules: the first one, an editor, very similar to the current app, will be installed as a system preference, so you can set profiles in the system Prefs application, the same way you set Display, Date&Time and other prefs. The other one should work as a switcher between already defined profiles and it should be easy to launch this little app using one of hardware buttons or so. That's my plan. Any comments? :-)
    It would be a very good application!
    Originally posted by milan

Yes, in the next release - 0.02 :-) I'm going to split the app into two modules: the first one, an editor, very similar to the current app, will be installed as a system preference, so you can set profiles in the system Prefs application, the same way you set Display, Date&Time and other prefs. The other one should work as a switcher between already defined profiles and it should be easy to launch this little app using one of hardware buttons or so. That's my plan. Any comments? :-)
    To Milan:

What do you think of my idea to do this via the side volume keys?
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by rudychow

To Milan:

What do you think of my idea to do this via the side volume keys?
    It's great idea :-) but I don't know if my palmos programming skills are sufficient to do this :-) I will try.
    bump.

We should keep this thread alive and at the top of the board.

Also mods - could you move this to the Treo utilities board?
    I'm sure it'll get more coverage when in there.
    And I'm sure many others will! I hope that's a bit of incentive

Love the ideas of integrating the volume button support and the screen brightnesss..this would be a great app
    This program is fantastic and just what I was looking for, thanks.

For some reason my Goodlink software (email, etc.) doesn't seem to follow it -- notifications are not following my profile. Any ideas on that?

I like the ideas about making it easier to switch profiles... especially since volume button now useless.
    It turns out that Goodlink has its own independent notification options -- which of course are not sufficient because there aren't profiles.

I sent an email to Goodlink asking them for a feature that allows you to simply mimic the Treo 600 notification preferences -- so that if users are using a profile manager, the settings also work for Goodlink.
    this sounds amazing
    I had this on my siemens and now i can have the same on my treo ... i'm installing it right now. Hope to see updates (and yes, volume button support would be great)

edit : just finished installing it and had a quick play. Does a great job.

maybe another sugestion, could you let the program quit whenever set is pushed. So if you change your profile, you just need to select one and press set, without having to push the home button.
    Last edited by PitbuLL; 12/16/2003 at 12:46 PM.
    water created humans to carry it up hills
  16.    #16  
    I just uploaded a new version (0.02) of the Profiles application. the most importnant changes are:

1. an integrated preference editor. You may edit profiles directly within the application, it's no longer necessary to edit system preferences and then go back to make a snapshot of them in the Profiles.

2. new components added to the profile editor: Display, General and Keyguard. You may set all relevant parameters there for a profile.

The application is still not splitted into two version are announced sooner and there is still no support for a faster profile switching. Be patient :-)

IMPORTANT!
    Unfortunately all those changes required changes in the database structure so you can't simply upgrade 0.02 over the older version. You have to uninstall the previous version and then install a new one. You will lose all of your profiles of course :-)

Milan
    seems like a small price to pay for the added fucntionality
    pardon my ignorance but what are profiles and how are they helpful? It seems to be a popular topic but I'm new to the Treo so I'm not familar. Thanks.
    they are common on cell phones, its like having one set of vibrate-ringtone for home, another one for office, another one for outdoors. Just easier to have an alert profile established rather than having to adjust all the settigns each time
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    they are common on cell phones, its like having one set of vibrate-ringtone for home, another one for office, another one for outdoors. Just easier to have an alert profile established rather than having to adjust all the settigns each time
    Well now it turns out that I do need this functionality. Thanks for the explanation.
Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast