Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Basically scheduled profiles need a duration, set by the user or implied (as in Profeo Lite). When a timed profile completes its timer, it switches back to the scheduled profile.

For when you manually switch to a profile and don't set a duration, it would just be a timed profile with unlimited time. There is an issue with that though. It would not let you switch to a profile, then set a timed profile during a manual profile. For example, you set a location dependant profile (I'm at worksite X) and then want a timed profile for silence (I'm in a meeting, at worksite X).

Perhaps the solution would be for manual profile switches (with unlimited time) to override all scheduled profiles. The popup and selector could indicate this and allow you to end a manual profile. In essence you have 3 levels of precedence: scheduled, timed, and manual override. I guess that would require 2 "End" buttons on the popup, one for timed profiles and one for manual overrides.

BTW it would also be nice if you could set a default duration for timed profiles, per profile. That would be easier than fooling with switchbacks.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    To summarize my flow of thoughts above, there are three types of profiles:

Scheduled - start and end times, force user to use all 24 hours would simplify logic

Manual switch - overrides all scheduled profiles until manually ended

Timed - switch to a profile for a duration, at end of duration switch to a "Manual switch" profile if one is set, else switch to a scheduled profile
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    So ThirdType, do I understand correctly that if I have manually changed my profile without a duration that NONE of my scheduled profile changes can occur? If that's what you are saying, that would explain why my timed profiles have not worked at all today.
    Actually, all of that was just a suggestion to Milan. None of my scheduled profiles are working either.
    ThirdType, why do you need an end time on a schedule? When the timed session ends SPM will switch back to the previous profile which could be a schedule profile that fired while in the timed session. With end times Milan would need to make sure a scheduled Start and End time do not bleed into each other. Just making a schedule fire at ONE time, Milan only needs to check that the same time is not set in some other trigger.

Scheduled = I want to be in a profile starting at this time on these days.

Timed = I want a profile set for X min/hours and then go back to where it was. Any scheduled/triggered profile fired while in a timed session becomes the new switchback when the timed session ends with no interruption. User does anything while in a timed session and the switchback just never happens.

I guess in your example, if you were going to WorksiteX and didn’t know how long you would be there, Milan needs to add some checkbox on the Switcher window so Schedule/Triggered events can be disabled. This way you could manually switch to your “WorkSiteX” profile and uncheck the “Enable” box so you can stay in the worksite profile forever. Timed sessions still work so you could have 30min meetings and it would switchback after the session is over. The only difference when the “Enable” checkbox is unchecked is no other event will become the new switchback. Ya know I could see using SPM this way all the time.

Boy Milan must be pulling his hair out by now
    Because there needs to be an order of execution. Scheduled profiles don't need an explicit end time. Just assume the end time is the start of the next scheduled profile.

No need for a checkbox. When you manually switch to a profile (unlimited timer) it could be displayed and ended using the button mentioned in post #381. All schedules would automatically be disabled.

Basically the popup could have two empty buttons at the bottom, labled "manual" and "timed". When you manually switch, the manual button would be enabled and say "End profile_name". When you set a timed profile the other button would be enabled and say "End profile_name".

Hmm have to think about where plugged in/out fits into this...
  7.    #387  
    After further thinking about profile pushing, seting and poping I'm coming with the folowing proposal:

(please check the attached diagram)

Basics:

- They are two basic types of profiles:

-- set profiles - pofiles either set manually (not timed) or triggered with a trigger which has 'Switch back' option set to 'Never'. These profile are active until another profile switch occurs.

-- pushed profiles - timed pofiles set manually or triggered with a trigger which has 'Switch back' option set other than 'Never'. These profiles have a duration after which the system reverts to the previous profile.

Rules (see the diagram):

1. set profile always overwrites any other profile (either set or pushed)
    2. after a set profile is set, any other set or pushed profiles can be activated (only if scheduled profiles are not disabled like ThirdType in the post #381 recommends).
    3. all scheduled profiles are stored with their priority, time of activation and duration (can be dynamic in the case of triggers with 'Switch back' option se to 'PluggedIn/Out') and are prioritized according the diagram. Profiles with the same priority are ordered according their activation time. Profiles with activated later take precedence over those activated sooner.

And now how it works:
    Each time a profile is scheduled (a trigger is fired), the profile is stored in the table of all pushed profiles. Then Profiles goes through that table starting with profiles triggered with the event with the highest priority (top of the table) down to the lowest priority. Profiles within the same priority group ale ordered according their activation time. The Newer ones take precedence over older ones. The first profile found which should be activate at the time of scheduling (current) time is selected from the table and activated. During this searching all profiles with the ending time older than current time (or already made obsolete because of PluggedIn/Out events) are removed from the table. That is how the table should stay clean.

Like I said above, when you set a profile manualy, the content of the table doesn't change, all 'set' profiles are handled in a separte layer at the top of the table.

An example (see the diagram):

At the time 't' (see the time axis at the top) there are 3 profiles in the table which should be active at the this time. The last profile activated is a timed profile P100-1 (for now please forget manualy set profiles). After P100-1 expires, Profiles go through the table looking for the next scheduled profile to be (re)activated or revert back to the last set profile. According the diagram there are two other scheduled profiles schedules for that time: P200-1 and P400-1. The P200-1 takes precedence over P400-1 because of its priority and is activated for remaining time (end time of P200-1 minus end time of P100-1 seconds). After P200-1 expires the same process starts over. The P400-1 is activated only when (end time of P400-1 minus end time of P200-1 > 0). In the other case P400-1 is removed from the table.

I hope you understand this ;-)))

What do you think about this?

Milan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wow, real start end times! With priority. Nice

Offhand it seems like a good approach, I'll run it through my head more later. Configurable priorities might be nice. Say, if I want to my Plugged In/Out to always happen.
    Ok Milan. How much are you going to need to re-code to implement all this?
  10.    #390  
    Not too much. The user interface is the most complex task to be done and it's not going to be changed.

Milan
    Whoa... only now I come back to this thread and realize milan is back! Welcome back!! Been waiting for you to do up a scheduled profile version for a long time now. Can't wait to try it out after work!!
    Trying to delete a trigger is causing a Buzzing Hang requireing a hard reset

Also trying to delete the profiles application from Filez file manager causes the same buzzing hang
    .no sig.
    I installed the Profile Manager to try it out. In my testing, I had it redirect calls to my office number. I then changed it back to end the transfer and deleted Profile Manager. However, I just found out that it is still transfering my calls! I did a hard reset, but it made no difference even with a clean Treo. How can I get my phone back to receivng calls without transferring them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble
    I installed the Profile Manager to try it out. In my testing, I had it redirect calls to my office number. I then changed it back to end the transfer and deleted Profile Manager. However, I just found out that it is still transfering my calls! I did a hard reset, but it made no difference even with a clean Treo. How can I get my phone back to receivng calls without transferring them.
    I think that the redirect configuration is store in your Service Provider. See if you have a uncondicional redirect in it (Phone -> Call Prefrerences - Get Status) (I translate from Spanish, is possible that the options don't have the same name)
    With profile manager installed you need to set up 2 profiles

1....Divert to XYZ
    2.....Normal

Dont think of profiles as always running to maintain your settings.......think of it as a utility that only changes your phone settings when you manually (or via timed triggers etc) change the settings....so running profiles to change a setting....then deleting profiles application would leave those final settings in place.....

Now the trick is that when you change to profile 1 it diverts your calls
    When you change to profile 2 IF you have not said profile 2 handle phone diversion....then it will not change from what it was previously.
    so the diversions from profile 1 will still be in place....
    To get around this you need to flag both profiles as handle diversions = Yes.
    .no sig.
    Thanks, wasinaus, it now makes sense to me. In the meantime, I remembered I could dial into VZW and have the call transfer cancelled. But, now that I understand how profile manager works, I will give it another try.
    Does v. 19 support automatic profile change when the Treo detects that it is charging or placed in a car kit? Is this one of the triggers?
    Milan - adding the timer feature is a great add - how can we get it - the .18 version is all that is out there. THanks for making this - I use it every day
    Quote Originally Posted by getafact
    Milan - adding the timer feature is a great add - how can we get it - the .18 version is all that is out there. THanks for making this - I use it every day
    Check out the link in post #367 of this thread for version.19.

Milan, I was playing with the timed triggers. I'm quite sure I have the settings correct but they don't seem to work. Not sure if it's conflicting with other apps. I don't have many third party apps installed. Any thoughts? Thanks for all your efforts. I've been using your app forever.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by elysian9
    Does v. 19 support automatic profile change when the Treo detects that it is charging or placed in a car kit? Is this one of the triggers?
    Yes, .19 can switch profiles when plugging in to charger. That part of it works.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!