1. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    in spite of the treocentral article about headsets, i still can't make up my mind. i've looked at the shure (light, ergonomic, wired), the reason magnetic 'unleash', and the jabra 'freespeak' bluetooth for non-bluetooth phones web pages. i lean towards the wireless versions. i definitely need a mike that suppresses surrounding noise. any suggestions? i'm willing to pay anything in the range $50-150.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I have tried them all between my 300 and 600. None are perfect but the best so far is the Shure Quiet. I hear great in all conditions and everyone can hear me.
    Well... I just tried the Noise Terminator from clearercom.com. Their device works by placing a sensor against the side of your throat which picks up vibrations. This completely eliminates all background noise that your caller might hear. It sells for $39.95.

Unfortunately, I haven't been happy with the quality of my voice. I've had complaints from some folks that said they couldn't hear me very well. In all fairness to clearercom, others on this board have had success with the device.

Next on my wish list is 'The Boom' which is available from theboom.com. It sells for $150 and I've heard good things about it but haven't personally tried it out.
    ~ShooterX~
    - President George W. Bush

... that claims to have success with the Noise Terminator headset.

Actually, mine continues to work pretty well. I think it has a lot to do with (a) where you place it on your neck, (b) the amount of "meat" on your neck and (c) the natural tone of your voice.

I rotate it so the pickup is about 2" to the side of my Adam's apple. I don't have much tissue on my neck at that spot between the "mic" and my windpipe or whatever anatomically happens to be inside there... and I have a bit of a raspy voice, which means lots of vibrations for the thing to pick up, and that I sound kinda "raspy" in real life, so the "raspiness" introduced by the headset doesn't make much difference.

So, as always, YMMV. Sorry you spent bucks on something that isn't working well for you, though.

Paul
    I'm glad to hear it continues to work for you. I guess there must be some connection between tone, pitch, and 'raspiness' for each user.

My voice comes across sounding more like some kid at a McDonald's drive thru. C'est la vie.

Would you like fries with that?
    ~ShooterX~
    - President George W. Bush

Originally posted by garyt01
    I have tried them all between my 300 and 600. None are perfect but the best so far is the Shure Quiet. I hear great in all conditions and everyone can hear me.
    Why did you prefer the Shure to the Reason wireless?
    I placed an order for the Boom. Will let everyone know what it is like once I receive it.
    Let us know if you can listen to MP3's with that headset or not. I'm looking for a headset that is good overall, but you can listen to MP3's with through one ear bud also.

Thanks,
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Originally posted by mtk
    in spite of the treocentral article about headsets, i still can't make up my mind. i've looked at the shure (light, ergonomic, wired), the reason magnetic 'unleash', and the jabra 'freespeak' bluetooth for non-bluetooth phones web pages. i lean towards the wireless versions. i definitely need a mike that suppresses surrounding noise. any suggestions? i'm willing to pay anything in the range $50-150.

if suppressing surrounding noise is #1, you can't beat theboom. I used one for a while before returning it (too expensive for me). but the mic performance was INCREDIBLE. I can't say enough about its quality. Seriously, the best thing I have ever used and I've used them all. I would stand in two feet in front of a stereo speaker blasting loud rap music and whisper into the headset and the other person could hear me perfectly fine with a tiny bit of background noise. you can't go wrong with this thing. also sounds great and is very comfortable, despite being on the heavier and bulkier side of the headset world.

www.theboom.com. i'm not affilicated with them. i think if you place an order during dec and mention their "holiday special," you get one for $99 instead of $150. It's an offer they gave to return customers buying gifts for others.

I went through FIVE jabra freespeaks when i had my treo 300. All of them sucked for me. Static in the speaker at all distances and very poor voice pickup. However, nothing compares to using a wireless headset...so much more freedom. No wires. Oh, but the bluetooth dongle's a pain in the arse.

I'm currently using the shure. It's fine. Not spectacular, but works for me in the meantime.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I've tried the freespeak (didn't like the sound quality) yet prefer wireless. I'm currently using the FoneGear (www.fonegear.com), which is the same technology as the Unleash. I don't have any complaints. One word of caution, if you're using a magnetic mount in your car it will affect the performance of these magnetic headsets.
    RBIowa,

Do you need to use the adapter for Treo 600? I looked at the Fonegear compatibility chart and it indicated it.

Thanks.
    I received my Boom in the mail yesterday, www.theboom.com. I was excited to finally try a headset that sounded better than the one which came with my Treo 600 (kindest regards Handspring, but the headset that came with the phone is pretty bad). The Boom came with an earpiece, the mic, two phone adapters and several foam balls (more on those in a bit).

The Boom is designed to fit over either ear and adjust to your unique physical properties. I like my headset over my left ear, so I read the short instructions and looked over the very good step by step pictures. I put it together in a minute and started to place it on my ear and adjust it to fit. The product has what seems to be wire embedded plastic/rubber for easy adjusting. After several minutes of playing around, I got it to be a relatively good fit.

I have to note that I wear glasses so finding an over-the-ear headset that is comfortable is almost impossible. Since the Boom is very flexible and you can adjust almost every ergonomic detail of it, I find the headset to be something wear, though not for an entire day. Maybe I will find a way of permanently attaching the earpiece to my glasses arm so I do not have this issue. Either that or I will succumb to the Lasik phenonemon.

It was time to test the headset. I got one of the foam balls that came with the phone (do not eat them), and attached it to the mic. The foam balls are wind shields, like those you see on 'real' microphones to reduce air noises. I took the phone adapter that had 2 plastic rings, imitating the one that came with the Treo 600, and plugged it into the phone and the headset. I called my son in the Navy and started a conversation. He mentioned that the call had a bit of static which I told him was because of the phone and that there is a software upgrade coming soon to fix it (see other threads).

Little did I know that the problem was not the phone itself. I was on the phone next, with a representative from the Boom concerning a different matter. When she complained of the static, I said the same thing, but she then suggested I try the other phone adapter, the one with three rings that was marked 'for Nokia only'. I told her that I believed the two-ring adapter was correct as it matched the headset that came with the phone, but I then proceeded to change it anyways.

Well, lo and behold, almost all of the static was gone and she remarked that the quality was MUCH better. She continued to talk while she looked up the phone on the Handspring website and noted that, indeed, the two-ring adapter was supposed to be the correct one. Even with that information, we decided that I would continue to use the three-ring one since it worked better and we could hear each other.

So far so good. I decided there was one more test to do. I fired up Pocket Tunes and started playing some music. It came in quite clear on the earbud. I played with the balance switch on PTunes, and it was quite clear that I only heard the left channel and it was quite loud. I tried it with the two-ring adapter and got no sound whatsoever. Obviously, I don't think this will replace a full stereo headset system, but it passes for when I am using the headset (95% of the time).

A nice feature is that the mic piece is separate from the ear piece. Have you ever dropped your phone or had something happen that made the cord yank the headset off of your head? I did several times with this unit without any serious injury to myself or the Boom. The mic is connected to the earpiece using a magnet and can pop right off and on with east, but is secure enough, once attached, to stay in place under normal stresses.

As for the noise cancelling properties, the headset works as advertised. I can be standing next to my TV and they cant hear it. I am quite impressed with the technology. I should spend more time on this aspect since it is a major component of the Boom's brand, but they do a much better job touting it. It almost completely isolates the user's voice so that you can talk in a whipser in a crowded bar and the recipient will not know you are whispering OR that you are in a bar. Note: I am not responsible for breakups and divorces as a result of this.

Overall, a great buy, though a little on the pricey side.

-Frank
    Thanks for posting and the review. I may pull the trigger on this one as well. I can't seen to find a good headset either, although this one sounds like the best one.