1. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    i am new treo600 owner (in fact it is the first cell phone and the first PDA i've owned). i have used a blackberry, though, and there are many places where i wish the treo600 software did a better job of text completion. i looked into word completion software and tried TextPlus for a while. but it caused so many soft resets that i barely had time to uninstall it :-). is there an alternative? WordComplete didn't offer a free trial and seemed to focus on grafitti users, not keyboard users. when i create an email message in BizConn (sprint is my service provider), i miss the way the blackberry completes email addresses and hostnames. and now with a chat client, i'd realy like a working version of TextPlus. thoughts/comments?
    Originally posted by mtk
    i am new treo600 owner (in fact it is the first cell phone and the first PDA i've owned). i have used a blackberry, though, and there are many places where i wish the treo600 software did a better job of text completion. i looked into word completion software and tried TextPlus for a while. but it caused so many soft resets that i barely had time to uninstall it :-). is there an alternative? WordComplete didn't offer a free trial and seemed to focus on grafitti users, not keyboard users. when i create an email message in BizConn (sprint is my service provider), i miss the way the blackberry completes email addresses and hostnames. and now with a chat client, i'd realy like a working version of TextPlus. thoughts/comments?
    TextPlus v.5.4 works for me.
    WordComplete (not compatible with Treo 600 yet-they're working on it) did work with the keyboard on my Treo 300. I can only assume that it will work on keyboard entry for the Treo 600 when it's offered.

On another note, there must be some other built in software that completes the spelling of cities and states when completing info in the contact area because it is functioning that way on my Treo 600 currently.
  4. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    re: existing completion - i see it as well in the address book. i'm looking for something much more pervasive and with similar smarts for other classes of text objects (email addresses, host names, canned abbrevs) as well as dictionary completion. textplus handled the latter well, except for...

re: textplus - the use of textplus & the blazer browser seemed to deterministically cause a soft reset. if you search for 'TextPlus', you'll find other reports of the problem. but the resets weren't limited to the use of the blazer browser. and they completely went away when i uninstalled textplus.
    Originally posted by mtk
    re: existing completion - i see it as well in the address book. i'm looking for something much more pervasive and with similar smarts for other classes of text objects (email addresses, host names, canned abbrevs) as well as dictionary completion. textplus handled the latter well, except for...

re: textplus - the use of textplus & the blazer browser seemed to deterministically cause a soft reset. if you search for 'TextPlus', you'll find other reports of the problem. but the resets weren't limited to the use of the blazer browser. and they completely went away when i uninstalled textplus.
    Yes, this is true regarding Blazer and TextPlus, and Smartcell know about it. in TextPlus prefs you can exclude/include any app you like. Blazer is excluded in mine and it works fine.
  6. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    i will try TextPlus again with Blazer excluded to see if that was the source of the resets.
  7. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    using it on a per-app basis seems to avoid the soft resets completely. next step is to read the manual to figure out how to really exploit it. thanks for the tip.
  8. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    i may have spoken too soon. i had ptunes running in the background, sprint's bizconn running in the foreground, trying to sync in order to send a new piece of email. and TextPlus was enabled for bizconn. and i soft reset. any way to tell which app triggered the crash?
    Originally posted by mtk
    i may have spoken too soon. i had ptunes running in the background, sprint's bizconn running in the foreground, trying to sync in order to send a new piece of email. and TextPlus was enabled for bizconn. and i soft reset. any way to tell which app triggered the crash?
    Yes, but it depends on which Treo, CDMA or GSM. If it's GSM then go to your phone app and dial #*377, then tap dial. Is it ##377 on the Sprint???