1.    #1  
    I've seen a few folks saying that OGG doesn't sound any better than mp3 on the T600 at comparable bit-rates. I've been to the ogg vorbis site and ogg certainly sounds better there. Anyone have more thoughts on this? I'm wondering if it's worth it to re-rip some of my CD collection to ogg.

Also, what programs do people use for ripping to ogg? Is there a plug-in ogg codec for Apple's iTunes? What are the easiest/best Windoze ripping programs?

Thanks!
    If you're encoding Oggs at 192kbps or more, or you're just converting an existing MP3 to an Ogg then I suppose an MP3 the same size might sound the same...

Also, if you have lousy hearing then of course you'll be less able to tell the difference.

I've used CDEX and EAC on a PC to encode Oggs. Both free.

Try a few encoding qualities on a song you know well to see how low quality you want to encode. I can get down to 90kbps (~q2) on my Treo before I start noticing any differences at home. I can get to 80kbps without noticing any difference during normal use (on the train, walking about).
    I can't go any lower than 128kbps with MP3 for normal use. The obvious 'underwater' effects start becoming very apparent, and are too annoying for me to put up with by 112kbp.
    I'm interested in what people are using for a quality setting. I converted my entire collection to OGG with a quality of ~3.4 and am very happy with the sound, and the 25% file size decrease.

As I mentioned in another thread, on the T600, I can't crossfade OGG more than 5 seconds.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    I used Sound Converter to convert my music stored on my iMac from MP3 to OGG. It converts a ton of formats to a ton of formats, but doesn't allow for a lot of control over settings. It runs in batch mode and can handle subfolders. It cut the file size about in half, and the results sound the same to me.

It costs $10. Here's the link:

http://www.dekorte.com/Software/OSX/SoundConverter/
    I used Sound Converter to convert my music stored on my iMac from MP3 to OGG. It converts a ton of formats to a ton of formats, but doesn't allow for a lot of control over settings. It runs in batch mode and can handle subfolders. It cut the file size about in half, and the results sound the same to me.

It costs $10. Here's the link:

http://www.dekorte.com/Software/OSX/SoundConverter/
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the info. Sound converter sounds very useful, but I'm on Windows, so that's out, but I'll look at CDEX and EAC.
    If you're converting from MP3 to Ogg rather than re-ripping from CD or a Wav file then you'll need to use a higher quality setting...
    CD --> Ogg sounds OK for me at -q2. MP3 --> Ogg annoys me up until ~q4.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I find that a 64kbps CD rip to OGG is comparable to MP3s at 128kbps. I can't hear a significant enough difference to increase the file size of the songs on my SD card. Maybe there is indeed a slight drop in quality, or maybe it's just some psychological effect in knowing that the encoding bitrate is lower, but I just can't hear a significant enough difference to warrant the increase in file size. I'd rather be able to fit more songs on my tiny 256MB SD card. Don't get me wrong - compared to the original CD recording, 64kpbs doesn't stand a chance, but compared to a 128kpbs MP3, OGG does just fine.

I use CDEX and it's great.

I can't get pTunes to crossfade my files. What's going on?
    As I mentioned in another thread, the Treo 600 isn't fast enough to crossfade more than 5 seconds of OGG files.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air