Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Say I'm looking at an email in Snapper or at a Word file with Dataviz Documents To Go. How do I FAX it to a fax somewhere?
    According to Mark Space Fax, the Treo600 isn't capable of fax sending, but a few others found files in the rom stating that it might be possible. Checkout this thread for more info. However to answer your queston, there isn't a Treo600 compatible fax send app out there...yet. Hopefully someone can hack around this. In the mean time I suggest you use a web based fax solution like J2 Fax or something which lets you send/receive faxes via email. It's free to receive faxes but cost like 0.10 cents to send which isn't that bad considering you would be spending 0.40 cents/min to send faxes on the cdma Treo anyway since Sprint doesn't allow you to dial other isp's for free. Furthermore you would need a TIFF image compatible viewer like Acid Image Pro...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 12/14/2003 at 01:33 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The Treo 600 does support the sending of faxes, it does not though support the receiving of faxes. I downloaded a fax program that works for OS5, "In Step Fax." I downloaded it from Handango. The first time I ran it, the Treo crashed, the other three times I tested it, it ran fine.

It is not a speedy program but did handle the sending of simple faxes.

Ben

---------------

Originally posted by mgauss
    Say I'm looking at an email in Snapper or at a Word file with Dataviz Documents To Go. How do I FAX it to a fax somewhere?
    deleted
    Last edited by Gaurav; 12/14/2003 at 06:07 PM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hey Gfunk,
    Did you actually read that post before you responded?
    He is saying the t600 can send but not recieve faxes (which as I understand would make it the same as the t300)
    Last edited by NJ Dog Doc; 12/14/2003 at 09:20 AM.
    Faxing via e-fax is a great solution. Copies of all incoming faxes can be read on the Treo with AcidImage Pro. Outgoing faxes can be from any text document, pdf document, or picture.

It's quick and easy.
    I'm a little foggy on how you get this to work.

I've had an efax number for years. Don't you need to have the efax software on the phone to send your document as an email? (And if that's the case why use Acid Image to read the incoming fax?)

How do you work this? And so are you saying the you pay the monthly fee to efax so that you can do outgoing fax emails?

Thanks for your explanation.
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    I did!

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...&txtSearch=fax
    This looks GREAT, but does't work with theT600, yet, do you know if it needs E-fax?
    To my knowledge there is no efax software for palm. There was an efax pqa that I have on my 270 but I was never able to get it to work. I assume they stopped supporting it some time ago.
    I have no problems reading my efax's on my 600 w/Acid Image Pro but it would be nice to "send" if I ever needed to.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    To RECEIVE with efax:

1. Make sure your efax settings from the efax website sends the fax in .tiff format, not the .efx format.

2. You don't need any additional software - just an email program to receive the email, and Acidimage Pro to view the tiff file. Acidimage Pro is expensive - 49 bucks - but it is the only program I have found which reads .tiff files.

3. When someone faxes you the document, efax sends you an email with the faxed document as an attachment. Just receive the email and view the attachment like you would view a jpg attachment.

To SEND with efax:

1. No efax software needed. You just send an email using your regular email program.

2. Attach whatever file you want to be faxed to the email, such as Word document, excel document, pdf, Corel, tiff, jpg, etc.

3. Send the email with the attached document to be faxed to: [fax number]@efaxsend.com Remember to include the 1 and area code for US faxes.

You can receive faxes for free from the fax number efax assigns you. Or, you pay $0.20 per page for faxes sent to a toll free number.

To send faxes, you need to pay efax's monthly fee, which is $12.95/mo. For that price, you get a local fax number and the ability to send faxes as shown above.

I pay efax's monthly fee for a fax line for several reasons:

a. I can receive my faxes from whatever computer I am at, including on my Treo;
    b. I don't have to be in my office to receive a fax;
    c. $12.95 is cheaper and more convenient than a dedicated fax line and fax machine;
    d. I can send faxes to people who don't use email;
    e. I save my faxes on my computer (sorted by client) rather than printing them out. I save on paper and ink, and my faxes are "filed" on my computer for later retreival. I don't worry about people sending me giant faxes;
    f. efax has been reliable for the few years I have used it.
    Originally posted by NJ Dog Doc
    Hey Gfunk,
    Did you actually read that post before you responded?
    He is saying the t600 can send but not recieve faxes (which as I understand would make it the same as the t300)
    DOH!! Nevermind, it was very late....

Originally posted by heberman

To SEND with efax:

1. No efax software needed. You just send an email using your regular email program.

2. Attach whatever file you want to be faxed to the email, such as Word document, excel document, pdf, Corel, tiff, jpg, etc.

3. Send the email with the attached document to be faxed to: [fax number]@efaxsend.com Remember to include the 1 and area code for US faxes.

Nice set of instructions for those who aren't familiar with efax!
    Are you using DocstoGo or Quickoffice? I use quick office and I tried to fax myself a word doc and my email came back to me with an unsuccessful transmission because there were "technical difficulties handling the file". I then sent myself a quicksheet file which quicksheet asked me if I wanted to send it as an html or csv file, I checked csv and this time the fax was sent but I only received a cover sheet.

Any advice?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Efax's website has a big list of supported files: https://www2.efax.com/efax/twa/page/supportedFileTypes

Quickoffice files is probably not one of them. See if quickoffice can save the file as RTF, a doc file, or a text file. In Docs to Go (which I use), you can save the file in Word format, and then send it.

I don't know why your csv file didn't work.
    Don't know why it doesn't work. The files that I sent were indeed a .doc and .csv file with Snappermail. I Bcc'd my yahoo email address when I sent the .doc email to my efax # and I got a copy w/the attachment at my yahoo email and it opens fine.
    I also tried sending a .jpg from the camera via Snappermail and it worked fine! Got the cover sheet and picture.
    Weird!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by heberman

You can receive faxes for free from the fax number efax assigns you. Or, you pay $0.20 per page for faxes sent to a toll free number.

To send faxes, you need to pay efax's monthly fee, which is $12.95/mo. For that price, you get a local fax number and the ability to send faxes as shown above.

Hey guys, another and option is to use J2 Fax:

http://jconnect.j2.com/jconnect/twa/getRates

It's only $0.10 cents per fax send in NA, and also has free unlimited fax receive. However, it does have a slightly higher $15/month fee, but may be a better deal overall...

Thanks for the option!
    I think that they are one in the same company. I believe j2 owns efax.
    I have efax's messenger plus service which cost me $12.95/mo and $0.10 per page to send. I don't send very often but receive some 250-300 faxes a month. I expense it all anyways so no skin off my back!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    To bclinger and sprintreouser,

How did you guys tweak the software to run on your Treo 600s? Mine just resets each time I play around with its many parameters.

Any idea? It would be great if this InStep Fax really works with the Treo 600. Are they working on one for the Treo 600?

Thanks.
    Treo 600 Rocks!
    Same problem for me, too. Installed both In Step Print and In Step Fax and when I set parameters or try to fax, my Treo 600 resets.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    After the first reset, I had no others. No tweaking involved. I did not check any of the options available, just took the defaults. After I found out the Treo 600 could not receive a fax due to the modem, I stopped playing with it. Ben

----------------

Originally posted by gurjit
    To bclinger and sprintreouser,

How did you guys tweak the software to run on your Treo 600s? Mine just resets each time I play around with its many parameters.

Any idea? It would be great if this InStep Fax really works with the Treo 600. Are they working on one for the Treo 600?

Thanks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast