Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm at the end of my rope waiting for Tmobile and I've set Dec 15 as my final deadline.

Am I about to become a Tmobile customer or a Sprint customer?

I thought Dec 15 was the current rumored release date for Tmobile, but now I'm starting to see dates at the end of Dec and also "never."

What is the current best of our knowledge on this forum for the Treo 600 Tmobile release?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Just out of curiostiy, what is your reasoning for choosing T-Mobile over Sprint anyway? Sprint has demonstrably higher data speeds. Does T-Mobile somehow have better coverage?? Now, granted, they've got Catherine Zeta-Jones, but when it comes to connectivity and features...?
    hmmmmm, maybe sms, or not being tied to one carrier, or longer battery life, or best data plan of any other GSM carrier, or good customer service, or best rate plans of anyone, or already have tmo contract, or...
    instead of making the jump to Sprint. just buy an unlocked Cingular (or OEM) Treo 600 & use it on T-Mobile network. I have an OEM Treo 600 that I use on T-Mobile network with no problems.
    However, I do wish that the GSM Treo was the carbon color rather than the silver color....
  5.    #5  
    When the 600 first came out, I wanted "the silver one" (ahh, the ignorance of youth). Since then I have learned a lot about the various features of GSM vs CDMA. Find myself liking the international-usability of GSM. Seems that the GSM phone has fuller functionality. I currently have tmobile and although I'm not locked into a contract, I get good service coverage and I've been pleased with the cust.service in general. Plus, I still like "the silver one."

On the other hand, had I known I'd still be waiting at this point, I'd have signed on with Sprint right then at the beginning. Now I feel I've gotten myself invested in the waiting (~2 months?), and I know as soon as I give up the tmo will come out the next day.

But, I don't think the grey one is so bad-looking anymore. And, for $250 on Amazon, it's starting to look like a good deal.

But then again, Tmobile seems to be giving away free internet these days unless I'm seiously misunderstanding some posts.
    Originally posted by skidoo
    Just out of curiostiy, what is your reasoning for choosing T-Mobile over Sprint anyway? Sprint has demonstrably higher data speeds. Does T-Mobile somehow have better coverage?? Now, granted, they've got Catherine Zeta-Jones, but when it comes to connectivity and features...?
    I don't think it is that easy. Sprint has much higher data speeds but the GSM (T-Mobile) phone has a longer battery life. I would think the choice would come down to coverage (if there is a difference in your region) and cell phone plans.

For example, I use T-Mobile hotspots a lot for my laptop - that gives T-Mobile a small edge as hotspot access is $10 cheaper if I use them for my phone plan as well.

In addition, it looks to me like the T-Mobile plans better fit my use. I use a lot of prime time minutes but make very few long distance calls - T-Mobile offers a $49.95 - 3000 minute regional plan in my area. Unlimited data is slightly more but not enough different to force a switch.

I don't think there is an automatic right answer for everyone. My issue, currently, is that I am researching the generic right answer for my enterprise. There it seems like the data plan and the battery life may be more crucial than data speed.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by jskier
    instead of making the jump to Sprint. just buy an unlocked Cingular (or OEM) Treo 600 & use it on T-Mobile network. I have an OEM Treo 600 that I use on T-Mobile network with no problems.
    jskier,
    is that OK to do? will i miss any features by not having the T-Mo 'optimized' version of the Treo 600? Please answer, since i am thinking of getting the Cingular version for my T-Mo service. Also, what is an OEM version?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dimensiondvdrob

jskier,
    is that OK to do? will i miss any features by not having the T-Mo 'optimized' version of the Treo 600? Please answer, since i am thinking of getting the Cingular version for my T-Mo service. Also, what is an OEM version?

Thanks.
    Well, it's hard to say since none of us has seen a T-Mo optimized version - but my hunch is that it won't be any different in practical terms.

I've been using the Cingular version on T-Mobile for a couple of weeks now - works just like I expect it to.

Danita
    Also, what is an OEM version?

OEM version is an "unbranded" one straight from Handspring. No Cingular (or AT&T) logos anywhere. The wireless on/off screens all have Handspring graphics instead of Cingular (or AT&T) graphics.
    Originally posted by jskier

OEM version is an "unbranded" one straight from Handspring. No Cingular (or AT&T) logos anywhere. The wireless on/off screens all have Handspring graphics instead of Cingular (or AT&T) graphics.
    how'd you get one of those? i would love one too.

Handspring sells them directly. I don't know of a way to order them over the Internet, but if you call the 800# you can request one. When the T600 first came out, you could call with your old serial# & get the discount on the OEM version. I dunno if they still offer the discount on the OEM version... You can also order from www.gsmphonesource.com or www.buy.com AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $they$ $both$ $sell$ $OEM$ $versions$ ($gsmphonesource$ $sells$ $the$ $Cingular$ $and$ $OEM$ $versions$, $but$ $is$ $kinda$ $pricey$). $There$ $is$ $another$ $thread$ $here$ $about$ $the$ $buy$.$com$ $unit$.
    Originally posted by bettyboop
    When the 600 first came out, I wanted "the silver one" (ahh, the ignorance of youth). Since then I have learned a lot about the various features of GSM vs CDMA. Find myself liking the international-usability of GSM. Seems that the GSM phone has fuller functionality. I currently have tmobile and although I'm not locked into a contract, I get good service coverage and I've been pleased with the cust.service in general. Plus, I still like "the silver one."

On the other hand, had I known I'd still be waiting at this point, I'd have signed on with Sprint right then at the beginning. Now I feel I've gotten myself invested in the waiting (~2 months?), and I know as soon as I give up the tmo will come out the next day.

But, I don't think the grey one is so bad-looking anymore. And, for $250 on Amazon, it's starting to look like a good deal.

But then again, Tmobile seems to be giving away free internet these days unless I'm seiously misunderstanding some posts.
    Nope, you're not misunderstanding them. Actually what they give away for free for all customers is WAP access, and this is enough to let you surf most unsecure sites, as well as staying on top of your email 24/7. I have been going crazy with this in the last 72+ hours. You also mentioned the international availability, and I couldn't agree more with you. I travel to Europe very frequently, and there's nothing better than getting off the plane in Amsterdam or Paris, and turning your cell on, and there you are: back in business. No fuss, no moss! Same number, same voicemail, I was even receiving my usual sms (yahoo alerts). And don't forget, TMo is a German company, sa not that many roaming conflicts.

BTW: I have the cingular version, got it off eBay on last Sunday. Got sick of waiting for TMo's version, and there's no way I'm going for Sprint (or Verizon as a matter of fact)

Hope it help syou out a little
    May the G4ce be with you
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Tourdewolf
    hmmmmm, maybe sms,
    Hmmm, I have that (on Sprint) via Treo600SMS.

or not being tied to one carrier,
    OK.

or longer battery life,
    OK. But what's the difference, like 1000 hours instead of 900? Really, the battery life on my Sprint 600 is superb. I gab on that sucker and surf the Internet all day long. I never even come close to 25% usage at the end of the day.
    or best data plan of any other GSM carrier,
    But not as good as Sprint's....
    or good customer service,
    Maybe because they have so few customers? And really, I have nothing but good things to say about Sprint's customer service. And I've been with them for many years (7 maybe?).
    or best rate plans of anyone,
    Not in my area. Sprint and T-Mobile's voice plans are almost identical, and Sprint's data plan is more than 50% cheaper (for a significantly faster connection).

Now, if you travel out of the country frequently (as do I), then it makes sense to have a GSM phone. But if you want the creme-de-la-creme of convergence while you're in this country, it seems to me the Sprint Treo 600 is the only choice.
    Originally posted by skidoo

OK. But what's the difference, like 1000 hours instead of 900? Really, the battery life on my Sprint 600 is superb. I gab on that sucker and surf the Internet all day long. I never even come close to 25% usage at the end of the day.
    Handspring's official specs say six hours of talk time for the GSM Treo 600 versus four hours for the CDMA version (a 50% increase):

Treo 600 Specs

Standby time is the same but even that is only 240 hours - I assume you were tongue in cheek with your "1000 hours instead of 900" but we don't want anyone mislead.

Also, each person should carefully compare the rate plans. In my area, the T-Mobile plan saves me more than enough over Sprint to cover the slightly higher data cost.

That said, I do not think there is a one right answer to the Sprint v. T-Mobile question. It depends on your needs and the fit of the carrier plans.

Also, it looks like if you install the firmware update discussed at http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t43076/s.html then it will make your GSM Treo 600 an "unbranded" one. I am still mulling over whether to install the update myself.....
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    In my opinion, the greatest advantage that GSM has over CDMA data is that the when you are actively transmitting/receving data, the GSM user will be offered the option to answer an incoming call and suspend the current download. on the sprint treo, incomings calls go straight to voicemail (although you receive the voicemail notification immediately).

Even the promise of faster data on CDMA might only be true in certain situations (ie, large downloads). I'm finding that the CDMA network starts off REALLY slow in the first few seconds before ramping up to a sustained speed.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t44069/s.html

That said, I did download a 4MB MP3 to my Treo in 5 minutes, recently (after installing media manager, which you can use to let Blazer download MP3s).

On the other hand, Spint Treos upload data as fast as they download data, while upload speeds (ie, for emailing pictures) on a GSM Treo is 1/3 the download speed (only ~1 KB/s).
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Betty, why are you looking at Sprint instead of AT&T. It is more like what you are used to with T-Mo and you still get the better silver phone. Just wondering?
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Originally posted by randyg
    Betty, why are you looking at Sprint instead of AT&T. It is more like what you are used to with T-Mo and you still get the better silver phone. Just wondering?
    AT&T's data plan seems really bad compared to Sprint and T-Mobile - no unlimited service.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    AT&T does in fact have an unlimited data plan for $19, they just don't show it online. My partner just got the AT&T version and while he was going through the activation stuff over the phone he asked them and they did so he got it! That's the same price as T-Mo's if my memory serves me well. I'm still holding out for T-Mo but like Betty i'm switching on the 15th if T-Mo doesn't show up on the HS site.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  20.    #20  
    my friend has a blackberry with ATT, and he said that the 10MB is actually a diskspace allocation, and not a traffic/throughput allowance. He said he can do unlimited data, but if his mailbox is bigger than 10MB he has to clean it out.

Could this be the meaning of the 10MB pricing in the cingular and ATT data plans for the Treo600?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast