Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by randyg
    Betty, why are you looking at Sprint instead of AT&T. It is more like what you are used to with T-Mo and you still get the better silver phone. Just wondering?
    AT&T's data plans are terribly costly compared to T-Mobile. There's no way I'd pay $70-80 a month for AT&T's unlimited data when I can get T-Mobile's for $20 or Sprint's for $15.

Anyone that is in the market for a smartphone like the Treo 600 would be a fool to not consider data services (and their cost). Without a data plan an individual will never see his/her Treo's potential.

Sorry, but a $60 premium per month just to use AT&T is a deal-breaker in my book. I'd rather wait or buy the phone without a plan (I'd make up the savings difference in a few months by sticking with T-Mobile's data plan).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  2.    #22  
    I was looking at sprint as the alternative because I was thinking, at least if I can't get my first choice (tmobile) then I would get the sprint for $250 = great price on Amazon.
    Originally posted by bettyboop
    I was looking at sprint as the alternative because I was thinking, at least if I can't get my first choice (tmobile) then I would get the sprint for $250 = great price on Amazon.
    The $250 price is only with a two year contract. It's $300 with a one year contract. Now that number portability is here, I'd recommend avoiding locking yourself into a long term contract. I just bought an Amazon Treo 600 for Sprint for the same reasons you're considering them and would suggest you hold out for T-Mobile if you can. Sprint's customer service is horrible (look up "incompetent" in the dictionary and you'll see Sprint's logo) and you'll be locked into Sprint/Verizon in the US. Buy a GSM phone and you can pop out the SIM and use the phone on different networks in dozens of countries. More importantly, at the end of your contract you can easily switch to another provider (AT&T, Cingular) if you want.

I wish Amazon had offered that deal on GSM versions of the Treo 600...
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

AT&T's data plans are terribly costly compared to T-Mobile. There's no way I'd pay $70-80 a month for AT&T's unlimited data when I can get T-Mobile's for $20 or Sprint's for $15.

Anyone that is in the market for a smartphone like the Treo 600 would be a fool to not consider data services (and their cost). Without a data plan an individual will never see his/her Treo's potential.

Sorry, but a $60 premium per month just to use AT&T is a deal-breaker in my book. I'd rather wait or buy the phone without a plan (I'd make up the savings difference in a few months by sticking with T-Mobile's data plan).
    You quoted me but didn't really read my post did you? AT&T's unlimited data plan is $19.99, same as T-Mo. This is the plan we have, it's not a guess, it's what we are actually paying.

Betty, i think you'd be much happier with a carrier like T-Mo or AT&T rather than Sprint. Sprint seems to like to have control over what their customers can and can't do. They are like the AOL of cell providers.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste

You quoted me but didn't really read my post did you? AT&T's unlimited data plan is $19.99, same as T-Mo. This is the plan we have, it's not a guess, it's what we are actually paying.

Betty, i think you'd be much happier with a carrier like T-Mo or AT&T rather than Sprint. Sprint seems to like to have control over what their customers can and can't do. They are like the AOL of cell providers.

Where do you see that rate for AT&T unlimited wireless? The closest pricing guidelines I see are here: http://www.attwireless.com/personal/...de/plans.jhtml
    where $20 buys you only 8 MB. Does your rate only come with plans with high levels of anytime minutes?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by sbono13
    On the other hand, Spint Treos upload data as fast as they download data, while upload speeds (ie, for emailing pictures) on a GSM Treo is 1/3 the download speed (only ~1 KB/s).
    Imagine uploading snapshots to your custom mobile blog using GPRS data. It would be painful, if not imposible.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Sprint seems to like to have control over what their customers can and can't do. They are like the AOL of cell providers.
    Who says? All ports are open on Sprint's GPRS here in Richmond, Virginia. I stream Shoutcast all the time, upload (via FTP) to my web site, etc., etc. How exactly is Sprint "like the AOL of cell providers??" Please, enlighten us.

I am really interested in finding out more about the $19 data plan with ATT, they have great coverage here in Graceland. The only reason I haven't considered them is all the information I can find points to incredibly expensive data plans. Does $19 allow unlimited megabytes transferred... please explain.

TD
    Originally posted by jskier

Also, it looks like if you install the firmware update discussed at http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t43076/s.html then it will make your GSM Treo 600 an "unbranded" one. I am still mulling over whether to install the update myself.....
    jskier,

Did you ever install this update? If so, how did it go? Does it change the language from English to Italian? Anything bad happen as a result? I would be willing to do this, but I don't wanna damage my Treo.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by skidoo
    Imagine uploading snapshots to your custom mobile blog using GPRS data. It would be painful, if not imposible.
    Why do you say that? Because of GPRS's slow upload speeds? At worst, it will take 30-40 s to send an email with a jpg attachment using GPRS. It's faster on Sprint, but not by much. Can you clarify what you meant be "painful" or "impossible"?

Actually, I DID read the post that I QUOTED. You posted again while I was composing, so I knew nothing of the $19.99 plan you mentioned while I was composing my post.

In any case, I'm glad to know that AT&T has come to their senses. The question now (which several people have already asked) is under what circumstances did your partner get a $19.99 unlimited data plan with AT&T? Is he a longtime AT&T customer? New customer? Two-year contract? What kind of "drug deal" did he strike?

I understand that it was done over the phone, but is it a truely unlimited FULL internet access plan like T-Mobile's? Or is it a WAP data plan with limited port access (no secure HTTPS sites, newsgroups, telnet, etc.)?

I require unrestricted Internet access. Anything less is unacceptable for me.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by dimensiondvdrob

jskier,

Did you ever install this update? If so, how did it go? Does it change the language from English to Italian? Anything bad happen as a result? I would be willing to do this, but I don't wanna damage my Treo.
    I installed the update this morning, and all went well. Takes about 10-15 minutes to process on the Treo. Everything was back as soon as I HotSync'd
    My treo now reports Firmware 2.08 (previously 2.01) and Software 1.09-INT (previously 1.05-INT).
    After the install, it does a hard reset & you re-choose your language (like the 1st time you turned on your new Treo0). All the languages are available (including English). No adverse reactions yet! Only noticeable differences are SMS is now version 1.01 (from 1.0) and voice sound quality is better...
    Originally posted by jskier

I installed the update this morning, and all went well. Takes about 10-15 minutes to process on the Treo. Everything was back as soon as I HotSync'd
    My treo now reports Firmware 2.08 (previously 2.01) and Software 1.09-INT (previously 1.05-INT).
    After the install, it does a hard reset & you re-choose your language (like the 1st time you turned on your new Treo0). All the languages are available (including English). No adverse reactions yet! Only noticeable differences are SMS is now version 1.01 (from 1.0) and voice sound quality is better...
    cool! i will try this later today, when i go to work.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    It's faster on Sprint, but not by much. Can you clarify what you meant be "painful" or "impossible"?
    Not by much?? Hahahaha! I'd say 4000 kiloBYTES per second is several orders of magnitude faster than 1 kiloBYTE per second.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Actually, I DID read the post that I QUOTED. You posted again while I was composing, so I knew nothing of the $19.99 plan you mentioned while I was composing my post.

In any case, I'm glad to know that AT&T has come to their senses. The question now (which several people have already asked) is under what circumstances did your partner get a $19.99 unlimited data plan with AT&T? Is he a longtime AT&T customer? New customer? Two-year contract? What kind of "drug deal" did he strike?

I understand that it was done over the phone, but is it a truely unlimited FULL internet access plan like T-Mobile's? Or is it a WAP data plan with limited port access (no secure HTTPS sites, newsgroups, telnet, etc.)?

I require unrestricted Internet access. Anything less is unacceptable for me.
    As far as i know it's available as an add on (just like T-Mo) to most of their plans, his is a 2500min plan. BUT, he was not under a contract, and did not agree to another contract. It is an unlimited plan, just like T-Mo. I suggest that you call ATT for the details, all i can attest to is what we have, and it is indeed an unlimited add-on plan for $19.99, just like T-Mo. I think we all know that there are more deals to be made that what is listed on a providers site.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Sorry for hijacking your post Betty, i just thought you ought to consider the similar alternatives (like AT&T) before you totally change your carrier.

As far as i know it's available as an add on (just like T-Mo) to most of their plans, his is a 2500min plan. BUT, he was not under a contract, and did not agree to another contract. It is an unlimited plan, just like T-Mo. I suggest that you call ATT for the details, all i can attest to is what we have, and it is indeed an unlimited add-on plan for $19.99, just like T-Mo. I think we all know that there are more deals to be made that what is listed on a providers site.
    I spoke to a rep from AT&T this afternoon and they were unaware of any unlimited data plan for $19.99. Your "partner" must either have gotten a deal because of their high anytime minutes plan or because AT&T is trying to entice him to stay with them. In any event, rumor has it that AT&T is going to be offering everyone unlimited data for $19.99 starting in a couple of months, so maybe this isn't too far-fetched.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by skidoo
    Not by much?? Hahahaha! I'd say 4000 kiloBYTES per second is several orders of magnitude faster than 1 kiloBYTE per second.
    You're kidding, right? Sprint doesn't get THAT fast (you are talking about 4 MB/s)!?!? At that rate, a 30 KB photo would take only 0.0075 s to upload, which is NOT what we users see for our picture uploads. In practice, Sprint is MAYBE twice or 3X as fast as GPRS.

(if you are referring to the measurements from the other thread, those units are in BYTES/s, not kiloBytes, so the CDMA treo averages 1.5-4 KB/s)
    Last edited by sbono13; 12/15/2003 at 01:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

You're kidding, right? Sprint doesn't get THAT fast (you are talking about 4 MB/s)!?!? At that rate, a 30 KB photo would take only 0.0075 s to upload, which is NOT what we users see for our picture uploads. In practice, Sprint is MAYBE twice or 3X as fast as GPRS.

(if you are referring to the measurements from the other thread, those units are in BYTES/s, not kiloBytes, so the CDMA treo averages 1.5-4 KB/s)
    Typo. Meant 4 kiloBYTES. In my experience (with both phones and services) Sprint GPRS is about 3 to 4 times faster uploading stuff via FTP.
    First, WRT speed, Sprint's faster service is not that much better, in use, than TMo's. It's faster, yes, but not so much so (again, in practice, quoted stats aside) that I'd put up with SPrint's horrific customer 'service'. For email and gen'l surfing, I have found the user experience comparable.

For the person who's had good experience with Sprint in terms of customer service, congratulations - you are lucky and definitely not the norm in this regard. Go to howardforums or other sites focused on mobile service providers and see. And it's not just anecdotal...Sprint is consistently rated the worst in places like PC magazine. And TMo's excellent customer service has nothing to do with a lack of customers. They may be smaller than some of the others, but still have millions of customers.

As for ATT data plans, I tried 3 times, and none of the reps I spoke with knew anything about a $19 unlimited data plan...and one even vehemently denied it (got quite snippy in fact). In any case, due to past history with ATT I will never again spend one red cent with them.

IMO TMo is far and away the best carrier in the US. Plus, I get to take my phone with me all over the world.

TM
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast