Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To quote from the Sprint Treo 600 manual:

Keyguard manually disables all buttons and the touchscreen to prevent accidental presses in your briefcase or pocket.

This is not the behavior that we're seeing. When the phone receives a call, pressing the spacebar (or an already depressed spacebar) bypasses Keyguard and will answer the phone.

This can be a major problem for those of us using cases. A lot of folks have already brought this issue up in these forums but I don't see any solution. One person said that Handspring told him that they considered it a "feature". If so, why isn't it documented in the manual?

Please join me in urging Handspring/Palmone to fix this bug.

Last edited by stuartr; 12/15/2003 at 08:19 AM.
    Actually all GSM phones that I have seen so far have this feature, that is to be able to answer the phone even with the keyguard on. After all if it were not so, then one would have to first unlock the keyguard and only then be able to answer the phone. Which would in my opinion be a major pain.
    Its not a Treo 600 flaw its a problem with your case. The keys and screen are in fact locked when the phone is idle. When the phone rings you have several ways to answer the phone which is a feature. Some phones have this feature as an option "Any key answer". Of course having options is always better, but it is not a major flaw of the phone. The designers of your case obviously failed to do a simple 1 day usability test which would have revealed the issue imeediately.
    I don't use cases. They are bulky and useless.
    I would call it a user interface problem - I could easily see a TREO-in-a-purse getting the "wrong button" pushed when it is ringing, especially if the button is a low-force standard keyboard one.

My ancient Nokia also allows answering with the keyguard turned on, however only the Talk button is allowed and it is somewhat hard to push.

===

Just found out yesterday my ancient Nokia also has a nice Security feature - if one has not yet typed in the passcode to USE the phone after turning the phone on, then incoming calls (that can be answered) do NOT display phone-stored Caller ID info but simply the phone number. Hadn't realized it did this since I rarely turn the phone off (was in a medical center for awhile so had turned it off).
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 12/13/2003 at 04:04 PM.
    I agree with those who say it is not an issue with the device, but an issue of how the Treo 600 is stored. Vaja simply made a terrible design mistake. And once nobody buys their cases they will fix the problem faster. Anyone with a Treo 600 in their purse could have any button hit no matter what might be used to turn Keyguard off.
    Probably the spacebar autoanswer problem could be eliminated in software if the answer key were re-assignable. A good choice would be the center of the 5-way. The edges of the five way tend to protect it from pressure anyway, and it is a nice large button to be pushed... Do you hear that Handspring (or PalmOne)?
    Originally posted by jaytee
    Probably the spacebar autoanswer problem could be eliminated in software if the answer key were re-assignable. A good choice would be the center of the 5-way. The edges of the five way tend to protect it from pressure anyway, and it is a nice large button to be pushed... Do you hear that Handspring (or PalmOne)?
    Pressing the center button already does answer calls. That's the only button I use to answer calls. Not sure why they gave it a second answering button.
    Seriously, here I was thinking you might have found a true flaw, like all the naysayers have yet to do IMO, and you're actually whining about a flaw in your ACCESORIES! Next time perhaps you should have your headline read..."MAJOR design flaw! Please read (if you are one of those klutzey people who have to use a case and RUIN a beautiful form factor with a big, ugly, cow-hide sack. You know, one of those people whose StarWars toys were always messed up when he was a kid.)" THAT'S how it SHOULD have read. Thanks.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    Seriously, here I was thinking you might have found a true flaw, like all the naysayers have yet to do IMO, and you're actually whining about a flaw in your ACCESORIES! Next time perhaps you should have your headline read..."MAJOR design flaw! Please read (if you are one of those klutzey people who have to use a case and RUIN a beautiful form factor with a big, ugly, cow-hide sack. You know, one of those people whose StarWars toys were always messed up when he was a kid.)" THAT'S how it SHOULD have read. Thanks.
    Nobody has yet to address the issue of incorrect documentation provided with the Treo 600 regarding the use of Keyguard.

Also, I've discovered that the case that comes with the Treo 600 also exhibits this problem to a lesser degree. While it doesn't depress the spacebar, other keys are depressed on the Treo when in this case and when a call comes in you can hear a constant beeping sound from a depressed key. So it would appear that Handspring didn't test their case either.

My comments stand: The keyguard action doesn't agree with the provided documentation, regardless of poor case design.
    Originally posted by stuartr
    Nobody has yet to address the issue of incorrect documentation provided with the Treo 600 regarding the use of Keyguard.

Also, I've discovered that the case that comes with the Treo 600 also exhibits this problem to a lesser degree. While it doesn't depress the spacebar, other keys are depressed on the Treo when in this case and when a call comes in you can hear a constant beeping sound from a depressed key. So it would appear that Handspring didn't test their case either.

My comments stand: The keyguard action doesn't agree with the provided documentation, regardless of poor case design.
    I don't know, with keyguard on, my space bar doesn't do anything. That's consistant with the documentation as far as I can tell. When I receive a call it seems like keyguard is disabled (I don't get the window on the bottom telling me that it's enbaled) and thus keyguard rules (and documentation) should no longer apply.

Please explain why you think keyguard is in effect when you receive a phone call.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by bmacfarland

I don't know, with keyguard on, my space bar doesn't do anything. That's consistant with the documentation as far as I can tell. When I receive a call it seems like keyguard is disabled (I don't get the window on the bottom telling me that it's enbaled) and thus keyguard rules (and documentation) should no longer apply.

Please explain why you think keyguard is in effect when you receive a phone call.
    To quote from the Sprint Treo 600 manual (again):

Keyguard manually disables all buttons and the touchscreen to prevent accidental presses in your briefcase or pocket.

The manual doesn't say that keyguard is disabled once an incoming call is received.

By the way, it's not only the spacebar that will answer an incoming phone call but I believe a depressed Enter key will as well.
    So are you actually complaining about a "major flaw" in the Treo or the Treo manual now? Take the manual for what it's worth. Not much...

Josh
    I think for most of us it has not been an issue. For those having a problem, take it up with Sprint/Handspring/Palm One. But I don't think you're going to win any converts to your POV here.
    I think you're misinterpreting the manual, dude - it's correct in the strict sense of how it reads. Keyguard does indeed disable all buttons from being pressed.
    Granted, it doesn't exclude the situation when calls come in, but to say this is a flaw, and to want rally folks to listen to your complaints about the design is a waste of time. Yours and ours.
    Sorry man - not gonna happen here.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I think you're misinterpreting the manual, dude - it's correct in the strict sense of how it reads. Keyguard does indeed disable all buttons from being pressed.
    Granted, it doesn't exclude the situation when calls come in, but to say this is a flaw, and to want rally folks to listen to your complaints about the design is a waste of time. Yours and ours.
    Sorry man - not gonna happen here.
    I agree 100% and I wonder what motivates folks to try to draw attention to themselves by using the forums to start threads with headline-grabbing, exaggerated, and in this instance, unjustified, attacks on a ground-breaking new product like the Treo. I agree with those who say it's a case-designer's flaw and one to be corrected by them, and I further agree that I find this to be a feature, not a flaw. Why would anyone want to try to answer a phone call by first fumbling with an unlock step? In fact, if that's the way it truly worked, most of us would surely call that a "design flaw" but thank goodness it doesn't work that way.

And the fact that it's not mentioned in the manual? Big deal. This is true of all modern day electronic devices. The manual is just a getting-started booklet included with most products. If these manuals were truly complete, there would be no secondary market for all the "How to . . ." "Missing Manual . . ." and "Tips & Tricks . . ." books that line the shelves in every bookstore. Like it or not, it is an industry-wide practice, certainly not confined to Handspring's Treo.

If there are real flaws in the Treo 600, we all want to hear about them. But let's not cry wolf and throw the term "flaw" around so carelessly.

Much ado about nothing.
    Last edited by NateS; 12/15/2003 at 03:48 AM.
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Originally posted by stuartr

To quote from the Sprint Treo 600 manual (again):

The manual doesn't say that keyguard is disabled once an incoming call is received.

By the way, it's not only the spacebar that will answer an incoming phone call but I believe a depressed Enter key will as well.
    Does it say that keyguard is not disabled (i.e. still enabled) once an incoming call is received? It seems the manual is incomplete in this area, and hence not incorrect. You can quote that a few more times, but it isn't going to be relevant to incoming phone calls.

And for what it's worth, you can also touch the screen when an incoming call comes in. It would be a major design flaw if you had to unlock the keyguard to answer a call.
  17.    #17  
    One Treo 600 case manufacturer has responded to the issue:

"I went to order a vaja case for my sprint treo 600 and could not find it..I send them a email and this is the response I got....

Chris,
    At present we do not offer a case for the CDMA Treo device. This unit has a special autoanswering function in the space key that makes it impossible to produce a flip top case for the unit since anything that covers the keyboard will activate it accidentally.

Wow. They must have responded to all the complaints and stopped selling the CDMA model. I'm glad I found a solution to my issue rather than returning the case. The treo 600 is huge I'm sure they (or handspring) will find a solution... - Chris"
    Personally, I find this feature essential. I hope they leave it as is, as it's very convenient to be able to answer the phone without having to unlock it first.
    Scott
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by cadetstimpy
    Personally, I find this feature essential. I hope they leave it as is, as it's very convenient to be able to answer the phone without having to unlock it first.
    Actually I believe they could satisfy both requirements. The manual states that to answer an incoming call, you depress the center navigation button. (This will also cancel Keyguard had they left it enabled during an incoming call. If you want to ignore the call, you can press the appropriate screen button.)
    A tip . . .

The first person responding to a thread-opening post might want to consider including the entire opening post as a quotation in their response.

That way, should the originating poster come back in and edit his or her post after all the responses have been entered, the original opening will still be preserved, sparing reponders from appearing to have over-reacted.

(Either that, or threading-opening posts should be non-editable once one or more responses have been posted. but I don't know whether that is feasible.)
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast