Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    this is obviously a software problem that just giving us a few more options would cure. As of now, any flip cover is giving this problem (some more some less). But too slam a case manufacturer over something that is a software problem is ridiculous.

It's not a major problem, but it would be so easy to just give us the option of turning space-bar answer function off/on. I never new that button was used. It's too easy to just use the screen. Anyway, this topic has been talked about already for a couple weeks. I'd suggest hitting the suggestion link at the bottom of the front page of http://www.handspring.com
    Originally posted by peyote

..snip...
    I'd suggest hitting the suggestion link at the bottom of the front page of http://www.handspring.com
    Tried that Got an email back saying,

Thank you for contacting palmOne, formerly Handspring. Unfortunately, we are unable to process orders, returns or credit requests via email. For further assistance regarding the problems you are experiencing with the space bar activating your Treo 600, please contact a Customer Care representative at 1-888-565-9393, Monday through Friday 8am-12am (ET) or Saturday 12pm-4pm (ET).
    I responded by suggesting they pass my question on to someone in the engineering department ... We'll see.
    Originally posted by Vigor
    Its not a Treo 600 flaw its a problem with your case. The keys and screen are in fact locked when the phone is idle. When the phone rings you have several ways to answer the phone which is a feature. Some phones have this feature as an option "Any key answer". Of course having options is always better, but it is not a major flaw of the phone. The designers of your case obviously failed to do a simple 1 day usability test which would have revealed the issue imeediately.
    I don't use cases. They are bulky and useless.

I'm glad you decided to post and show the world what sort of imbecile you are... This is definately a major flaw of the Treo 600 since the keypad is exposed and easily touched whether it's in a case or not. If any key is depressed the ringer will be instantly muted, while the spacebar and enterkeys will answer the call.

Most of the users in this forum will agree that the keyguard feature should completely lock the keyboard and that calls should be answered by pressing the centerbutton on the DPAD.
    CONCUR!!!!!!
    Thank you gyrfalcon! You'd think that some of these people were major Handspring stockholders or something.
    I have been going crazy dealing with a phone (treo 600) that answers calls on its own and dealing with the incompetent csr svc at Sprint trying to get help. I finally did a search today and began finding posts like this that have let me know that I am not alone with this problem. This is indeed a design flaw. Hell call it whatever you like, THIS PHONE SHOULD NOT BE DOING THIS!

My question now is would this be considered a software issue? That is, can a software upgrade to the Treo 600 correct the keyguard issue so that ONLY the center key answers when keyguard is engaged?
    Originally posted by fkendrick
    My question now is would this be considered a software issue? That is, can a software upgrade to the Treo 600 correct the keyguard issue so that ONLY the center key answers when keyguard is engaged?
    I haven't found a hack that will do this, but a software/firmware upgrade would correct the issue. I would suggest filling out a report with Sprint and Handspring so that they're getting some pressure to fix the issue.

It's not like were asking them to provide a complicated software update either...just a simple modifcation.
    Originally posted by gyrfalcon
    I haven't found a hack that will do this, but a software/firmware upgrade would correct the issue. I would suggest filling out a report with Sprint and Handspring so that they're getting some pressure to fix the issue.
    I believe that you are right. I've emailed Handspring and Sprint in detail today about this issue. I've bought three cases to date, 2 Bellagio and a Vaja. Whether I use the cases or simply leave the phone bare in my purse this continues to happen. To my chagrin its also happened twice this month during private client business meetings!! I dont know what some consider a "major flaw" but this is NOT good. I should not have to think that hard about what my cell phone is doing all day, but I find myself checking it intermittently to make sure that noone is waiting on the other end... and occasionally someone is!

Today after finally getting a conversation with Sprint I'm returning my Treo. I'd love to keep it until this is resolved but its become too much of a liability to have around.

Good luck to the rest of you.
    It even happens to the case that comes with the phone.
  9. wcl
    One key element of this issue is that the phone answers even if the spacebar were continuously depressed since before the incoming call.

No matter how you care to try to sell the feature that pressing the spacebar will answer a call, there is no way you can call it anything but a keyguard bug that the answer happens without an active state change event being posted by the user (a keypress of any sort that occurs after the incoming call).

That behavior is expressly contrary to the user manual description of keyguard, and clearly violates the keyguard concept and even typical programming best-practices.

We should emphasize this aspect of the issue as clear demonstration that this is not a design choice one may debate, but a bona-fide bug that requires fixing.

I have written them thus, but have yet to get any real answer (all email threads ultimately end in "please call the phone support for further assistance").

I guess we really need to gang up on them ...

Regards,
    Walter
    I found that Keyguard got in the way of too many programs. I've disabled it, and use instead "Disable Buttons 2.1" which allows me to decide which buttons are disabled or not, and if a double press of button will enable its function when the Treo is off.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Originally posted by gyrfalcon I'm glad you decided to post and show the world what sort of imbecile you are... This is definately a major flaw of the Treo 600 since the keypad is exposed and easily touched whether it's in a case or not. If any key is depressed the ringer will be instantly muted, while the spacebar and enterkeys will answer the call.

Most of the users in this forum will agree that the keyguard feature should completely lock the keyboard and that calls should be answered by pressing the centerbutton on the DPAD.
    I think it's clear that you are the imbecile. I don't see why they can't make a case that doesn't depress the spacebar. Granted it might have to have a little bubble of extra room at the bottom where the spacebar is, but that shouldn't be a problem to create.

Most users would appreciate having more than the center d-pad button to answer a call. I personally use the screen. If keyguard was enabled I couldn't use that. You would see 10x the number of users complaining about answering with only the D-pad.

I've had the phone since Handspring's been selling it and haven't had the problem once. Then again I don't use a case, too much bulk.
  12.    #32  
    Originally posted by wcl
    One key element of this issue is that the phone answers even if the spacebar were continuously depressed since before the incoming call.

No matter how you care to try to sell the feature that pressing the spacebar will answer a call, there is no way you can call it anything but a keyguard bug that the answer happens without an active state change event being posted by the user (a keypress of any sort that occurs after the incoming call).

That behavior is expressly contrary to the user manual description of keyguard, and clearly violates the keyguard concept and even typical programming best-practices.

We should emphasize this aspect of the issue as clear demonstration that this is not a design choice one may debate, but a bona-fide bug that requires fixing.

I have written them thus, but have yet to get any real answer (all email threads ultimately end in "please call the phone support for further assistance").

I guess we really need to gang up on them ...

Regards,
    Walter
    I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for pointing out the fact that an incoming call is answered even without an active state change event. Guess their testing didn't involve the use of a case. I don't suppose there were any cases available pre-release except the one they ship with the Treo but even it will depress the spacebar for you!
    Sorry duplicate post
    Originally posted by bmacfarland

I think it's clear that you are the imbecile. I don't see why they can't make a case that doesn't depress the spacebar...Then again I don't use a case, too much bulk.
    Yeah I guess you're right... I see exactly what you're saying now.

So you got sick of tarding around your Treo in one of these huh?

http://www.caseclub.com/images/Pel-0350-big.jpg

dope...
    After perusing the web I decided I'd look a couple of days longer for a hack to fix this problem. I'd hate to give up my Treo for this issue but I need resolution and soon. I've checked a couple of the apps mentioned in this thread but they dont solve it. IF anyone knows of workaround for this problem please post... ASAP.

THX
    Just got my Vaja case a few days ago, and have encountered this problem constantly. I sent email to both Sprint and Handspring asking them to please post a patch that will fix this problem.

Here is the link to send a message to Handspring:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sTSCaseNew.jsp

--Keith
    Originally posted by eddietreo
    It even happens to the case that comes with the phone.
    I use the Handspring horizontal case everyday and I don't have these spacebar problems answering the calls.

I'm still lost as how you are all too convinced that the Treo 600 is still the problem instead of looking for another case. I always used a Vaja case for my older Treos (& Prism) but not with this problem. It's a no brainer.

Oh if you don't agree, here's a great solution - return your Treo and keep the Vaja Case
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Originally posted by Treo Rat
    I always used a Vaja case for my older Treos (& Prism) but not with this problem. It's a no brainer.
    Oh if you don't agree, here's a great solution - return your Treo and keep the Vaja Case
    Do you own stock in Handspring or something? yesh...

First off the Treo 300 has a clamshell design where the keyboard is covered by the lid. Secondly a Prism doesn't have a built in phone so of course you wouldn't have this problem!

I have a Bellagio Designs cases in both the Clamshell and openfront mods.
    Muting the ringer and answering a call with the spacebar is at the very least a major design flaw.

Nokia phones have keyguards that lock EVERY SINGLE KEY besides the answer key. It seems atleast one company can design simple features correctly.
    Last edited by gyrfalcon; 01/13/2004 at 07:32 PM.
    Blame it on the cases??? I guess we just need someone to make a case where the Treo levitates in a case. Every case I have used that protects the face of the phone auto-answers...inconvenient at best and "job threatening" at worst. How hard could it be to make it an option??? Now I am getting a Ivolution from Vaja so this stops happening like it does in my current Nutshell case but with my luck the spacebar answers problem will be traded off with a broken screen problem.

Jeeeeeesh.

GM
    Guys,

can you please stop calling each other names? I mean, these discussion are supposed to provide help. There is no point in attacking people for no reasons.

If you do not have the problem mentioned by some, no need to post a reply saying the author is stupid. This only shows your own stupidity and bad business sense for not understanding some may have a problem ... and so there is som business opportunity here...

I do not have the 'auto-answer'problem, as I do not use a case, but I perfectly understand some may experience that problem and, based on the number of complaints in this thread, I do agree keyguard should have an option to enable answering calls by pressing the space bar or not. This would satisfay everybody.

So, I guess those who want to make some money can proram a hack doing jsut that ... or design a case fizing the problem, as suggested by some.

Peace...
    Dominique
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast