1.    #1  
    Talked to an 'open' tech today for quite awhile. I've been trying to get provisioned since Monday.

The provisioning server is in Indonesia. The provider for provisioning went bankrupt and Sprint was scheduled to take over that process in a couple of weeks but the plug was pulled early (last Sunday).

Sprint was forced to put their provisioning server online early before it was ready. It is not functional, not talking with the other system components.

There are 40,000 people waiting to be provisioned. It may not be functional before Christmas. Once it becomes functional, things will move very fast and the phones will provision by themselves (at least if they have been 'pushed' via tech support).

In the meantime, the server will function periodically for short periods of time. If one happens to push the buttons to attempt provisioning 'at the right time' it will go through.

Techs are instructed to give no 'real' information about this problem or operations in general and will be fired if they are caught by management.

My mole said that the biggest wig they ever see was in a couple days ago and he asked him a few technical questions and it was obvious that this guy didn't know squat -- ain't that the way of the world?

Hope this is informative for those of us who are waiting to be provisioned and entertaining for you lucky basturds out there

s'later
    Originally posted by cyberjnke
    Talked to an 'open' tech today for quite awhile. I've been trying to get provisioned since Monday.

The provisioning server is in Indonesia. The provider for provisioning went bankrupt and Sprint was scheduled to take over that process in a couple of weeks but the plug was pulled early (last Sunday).

Sprint was forced to put their provisioning server online early before it was ready. It is not functional, not talking with the other system components.

There are 40,000 people waiting to be provisioned. It may not be functional before Christmas. Once it becomes functional, things will move very fast and the phones will provision by themselves (at least if they have been 'pushed' via tech support).

In the meantime, the server will function periodically for short periods of time. If one happens to push the buttons to attempt provisioning 'at the right time' it will go through.

Techs are instructed to give no 'real' information about this problem or operations in general and will be fired if they are caught by management.

My mole said that the biggest wig they ever see was in a couple days ago and he asked him a few technical questions and it was obvious that this guy didn't know squat -- ain't that the way of the world?

Hope this is informative for those of us who are waiting to be provisioned and entertaining for you lucky basturds out there

s'later

I really hope you're wrong - I'm about to go to a Sprint Store to get my phone set up. Pray for me, Brother cyberjnke.
    Hmmm - I don't know if this is right or not but I had a friend buy a Treo 600 Thursday night and he was using it Thursday night. He didn't have the pic deal working but that was working by yesterday evening.
    -edit- he bought it at a sprint store btw.
  4.    #4  
    The problem only applies to those who attempted to provision during a particualr time period, apparently, being Sunday and Monday.
    I can tell you for a fact that this original post is not true. The problems were with a software upgrade to the provisioning and authentication systems last weekend.

This is hogwash. Why in the heck would Sprint even think or want to use an Indonesia service to provision in the US? They have enough computers and programmers of their own.

Second, there is no such thing as an "open" tech. I don't even know what you're trying to say by "open" tech. There are "level1", "level2", etc.

The call center techs are not kept up to date with every software change made. The call center techs are trained to handle certain situations. The main problem was fixed Wednesday. We sold several devices Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday and all provisioned without a hitch.

I still think the crap about Indonesia is pretty funny though. Someone started a ridiculous rumor and people believe it.

Larry
  6.    #6  
    The tech I spoke with was very open in that he was conversational. As for the information in the discussion, he seemed pretty knowledgeable but I certainly wouldn't stake my life on the words of a guy on the phone.

As for your tone and demeanor... well, sucks to be you I spose.

BTW - Got provisioned about an hour ago. So I'm camping happy.

The tech obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and probably just repeating this rumor that's been going around. Unfortunately too many of the people who actually talk to the customers on the phone don't have the facts. They're trained to basically go down a check list to resolve problems. They aren't the softwate engineers working on the systems with the problems. The tech should just tell you he doesn't know when he doesn't know.

Kind of like a bank teller telling you how much money is in the vault. The teller doesn't know.

I'm just tired of people calling us up for support and asking a million questions about this problem and whether to return their phone because this "Indonesia provisioning company" went bankrupt causing the problems last weekend, Monday, and Tuesday.

Everyone thinks they have the "facts" but are just posting "hear-says".

Larry
    Originally posted by lmelamed
    The tech obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and probably just repeating this rumor that's been going around. Unfortunately too many of the people who actually talk to the customers on the phone don't have the facts. They're trained to basically go down a check list to resolve problems. They aren't the softwate engineers working on the systems with the problems. The tech should just tell you he doesn't know when he doesn't know.

Kind of like a bank teller telling you how much money is in the vault. The teller doesn't know.

I'm just tired of people calling us up for support and asking a million questions about this problem and whether to return their phone because this "Indonesia provisioning company" went bankrupt causing the problems last weekend, Monday, and Tuesday.

Everyone thinks they have the "facts" but are just posting "hear-says".

Larry
    If the tech doesn't know what he/she is talking about, how can you get upset at the customer? If you are tired of people calling and asking you questions about this, GET A NEW JOB! OR , take some responsibility at Sprint and notify your supervisor (and maybe his/her supervisor)of the customer perception so Sprint can address it to all.

Or, I suppose there is always the 3d choice... just sit back and b*%ch about how stupid your customers (the whole reason you have a job in the first place) are. But I suspect I already know what your choice will be.
    Serving those who have served Honorably. Marine For Life www.m4l.usmc.mil
    #1 I don't work for Sprint
    #2 I never said any customers were stupid
    #3 I'm not upset at any customers

All I said is thisoriginal post is false information. I don't blame the guy for posting if that's what the Sprint customer support rep told him. The customer support rep should keep his mouth shut when he doesn't know the realproblem.

If you rather harp on me and believe the Indonesia story, then fine. Otherwise lets discuss Treo topics like this board exists for.

Larry
    Been trying to provision (get access to my PCSvision service for the past 4 days and no luck.

One tech tells me to change my MSID, another changes it back. Another says to soft reset over and over again. Another says it's a problem with my IP addresses....

Three weeks to port a number and more than 15 hours on the phone. Now 6 calls and another 4 hours on the phone and still no PCS vision.

At least Cingular would have given me a month's service credit. Sprint offered 60 minutes and then another rep gave me half a month.

What a fiasco.
    Originally posted by lmelamed
    Uh...not to get off topic, but the tellers DO know (in general) how much is in the vault. I know, because I'm a VP with a bank.

BTW, my phone IS provisioned and running beautifully!!