Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'll be on my first flight with my Treo on Monday and wondering how you guys go about convincing the F/A's that the PHONE part of your treo is OFF when the plane is in flight. Most take a "it's a phone, turn it off" attitude. I knew someone with a blackberry - it didn't even have service, he just used it as a organizer - and they always gave him grief.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  3.    #3  
    Good thread. But I guess I'm looking more for personal experiences with the Treo and the various responses people have used...
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by dune
    I'll be on my first flight with my Treo on Monday and wondering how you guys go about convincing the F/A's that the PHONE part of your treo is OFF when the plane is in flight. Most take a "it's a phone, turn it off" attitude. I knew someone with a blackberry - it didn't even have service, he just used it as a organizer - and they always gave him grief.
    Why not e-mail the airline directly? Maybe you can bring some awareness to them, and at the same time have a hard copy of their response with you.

But remember, ultimately it is up to the pilot and I am sure he/she will back his crew.

I think it sucks, but until these devices become "common" we might have to put up with some inconveniences.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    This may not be the answer you want to hear but is effective: don't use the Treo during the flight. I've had zero problems.
    One more thought to consider, I have left my phone on by accident in the overhead compartment on a couple of flights over the past few years. Other than causing a drain on the better, none of the crew seemed to notice or care. I do try to follow the rules though since I want to get to my destination safely.

Anyone else left their phone on by accident?
    So far I haven't had any issues. They ask if it's a phone. I tell them it's a phone and a PDA but the phone part is off. Usually that's enough. Once a flight attendant asked how you can tell but just out of curiousity and I pointed out the text that says wireless mode is off. If you have a stylus in your hand and using as a PDA you shouldn't have many problems. Unless of course they are complete idiots. PDAs have been around for a long time now and are on the list of approved electronics. Now if you have it up to your ear then you might have some issues.
    i fly weekly with mine and have not one issue.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Originally posted by HumP
    i fly weekly with mine and have not one issue.
    Most of the time my various electronic devices don't do anything, but the few times that I've noticed a swing in the VOR needle or a screech in the comm when I've turned on something gives me pause. I regularly fly with all manner of gizmos, including a portable anti-collision alert device, satellite phone, bluetooth linked GPS receiver, Treo 270 (haven't taken my Treo 600 up yet), and a digital watch.

Rarely do any of these devices affect the plane's avionics, but, as I mentioned, a few times something has -- and that's a a reason to worry. Like an engine faulure, the problem of electronic devices affecting avionics might be something you never experience, but it's a potential to keep in mind when things go awry.

NASA's Aviation Safety Reporting System http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov has numerous reports of electronic devices, including cell phones and portable radios, interfering with VORs and localizers. Pilots who have encountered this have stressed the need for stricter enforcement of the ban on operating electronic devices below 10,000'.

If I was doing an approach in low visibility, you can bet that I'd have all non-essential electronic devices in the OFF position.

--Bill
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by cash70
    Why not e-mail the airline directly? Maybe you can bring some awareness to them, and at the same time have a hard copy of their response with you.
    That's a good idea. I'll try that.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I had that exact problem. No amount of convincing would change her mind. I now have an email from an official at the airline, stating she was wrong. I will bring it with me from now on.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I go with the "don't use it" vote.

The flight attendants have enough nonsense to worry about already, do you really need to add to that list because you can't go a couple hours without using your PDA?
    Like someone in the thread said - explain it to them. Make sure you wait until the "fasten seatbelt" sign is off before using it.

I am cabin crew and also use a Treo, I have the other problem that I won't take it out and use it in front of passengers, just in case they think I am using my phone during a flight!

It's a funny old life huh?
    I fly every week and have never had problems - heck, I've never even had a flight attendant ask.

Remember, it does look like a palm pilot and not a phone. I often have on headphones and am listening to mp3's.
    On a recent flight we were delayed on the runway. The pilot told us to go ahead and break out the cell phones, gameboys, laptops, etc. He said it wouldn't bother him or his gear.
    Serving those who have served Honorably. Marine For Life www.m4l.usmc.mil
    I have used mine on American Airlines as a PDA (Wireless off).
    After the wireless is turned off (hold the power button down), at the top of the phone screen, it will say :Wireless mode off" this should be enough to let them know that you are using the Treo as a PDA only.
    I fly every week and have had 5 smartphones -- and I always play games during flights.

I've only had a problem twice in 3+ years (Samsungs, Kyoceras, and Treos). Haven't had it yet with the Treo. Usually you just explain that the phone is off. Was easier with the Samsungs because it clearly said "Phone Off" when the phone was off.

I think you're worrying way too much about this.
    even though there's no need to, i normally take the sim card out and leave it in the seat next to me (i generally fly TAP so there's always empty seats) so they can see it or have it in my pocket so i can pull it out quickly - much easier than pressing home button to show them the writing.

I've only been asked twice and both times i showed the sim card - no problem
    Never had any problems. I regularly use my Treo before take-off to ease the boredom of sitting at the gate... looking at news on the web or sending emails/IMs. Never had any problem, and I think having the stylus out helped (people associate stylus w/Palm device)... but then the T600 does look a lot more like a phone than my 270 did. Let us know what your experience is!

S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast