1.    #1  
    I have been waiting for T-Mobile to come out with their version of the Treo 600 so I could upgrade my current VisorPhone and use my TMo SIM card without changing my current voiceplan.

Here's the dilemma:

With my 2-year old TMo plan (600 minutes for $39.99 with web access that uses my voice minutes -- no extra charges for web access) I use Blazer at any time to get on the internet. It is set up to dial up my local ISP and it uses my voice minutes. I don't have to pay for any internet access with my current plan. So on the weekends when I have unlimited voice calls, I can get on the internet 24 hours if I wanted to without any charges.

From my understanding, this plan no longer exists. I'd have to pay $39.99 for my voice plan and then an additional $19.99 for unlimited internet access.

My Question:

Does it make sense to hold off and wait for TMo's Treo 600 so I can just continue using my current plan? OR will it be impossible for me to set up the Treo 600's Blazer to access my ISP? I don't need always on web access. When I need it to check my Yahoo email or movie listings, for example, I don't mind using my voice minutes. Does anyone else have a plan like I currently have? Were you able to configure the Blazer to dial your ISP?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I don't know if Sprint is an option for you, but the last time I looked, the voice minute plans were nearly identical to T-Mobile's. And unlimited Internet is only $10 extra per month.
    I have the same tmp voice plan that ypu do, as well as the unlimited data plan. I have set up the 600 to use my dialup as a backup to the GPRS, so it is definitely possible to set up the 600 just like you have your Visorphone.
    I have the same Tmobile voice plan that ypu do, as well as the unlimited data plan. I have set up the 600 to use my dialup as a backup to the GPRS, so it is definitely possible to set up the 600 just like you have your Visorphone.
    If you don't make many long distance calls, you might want to look into whether T-Mo has a regional plan in your area. My regional plan is $49.95 for 3000 minutes.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
  6.    #6  
    Jaytee (and any others),

So are you currently using your Treo 600 with TMobile and NOT having to pay anything extra for web access? All you are paying for are your voice minutes and you can get internet access via your ISP, correct?

If that's true, would I be able to get a cheaper Sprint version of the 600, NOT pay for a Vision plan but instead program Blazer to access my ISP whenever I need web access?

Is it my current TMo plan that allows me access to the web for free OR is it the fact that I've programmed Blazer to access my ISP that I can bypass a cell company's data plan fees?

Does anyone have a Sprint 600 w/o a Vision plan who would be willing to give this a try and then get back to me?

Thanks!
    Check out the GSM forum here or go to www.howardforums.com and look there. ANY T-Mobile plan of 20/mo or more now has FREE WAP access via GPRS. you get access to WAP, HTTP, POP, & SMTP. You only need to add the extra plan if you want HTTPS or FTP, etc. You don't need to use (slow) CSD anymore. On my Treo 600, in Prefs->Network I select "T-Zones" and I didn't have to set up any other stuff for GPRS access. Thanks T-Mobile for FREE GPRS!
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by jskier
    Check out the GSM forum here or go to www.howardforums.com and look there. ANY T-Mobile plan of 20/mo or more now has FREE WAP access via GPRS. you get access to WAP, HTTP, POP, & SMTP. You only need to add the extra plan if you want HTTPS or FTP, etc. You don't need to use (slow) CSD anymore. On my Treo 600, in Prefs->Network I select "T-Zones" and I didn't have to set up any other stuff for GPRS access. Thanks T-Mobile for FREE GPRS!
    jskier,

Thanks for replying to my post about whether I should wait to upgrade to TMo 600 and my questions about CSD capability of the Treo 600.

From what you wrote, I'm gathering that TMo's T600 is the one you are recommending I get when it becomes available as opposed to Sprint's T600 since TMo is now offering free internet access (for WAP, HTTP, POP, and SMTP). Is that correct?

No one really knows how long TMo is going to be offering this free internet access, correct? So my current TMo plan with my Visorphone where I have free CSD access (in that it just counts against my voice minutes), is that plan (and my current SIM card) definitely worth holding onto so I will always have a data plan that uses up my voice minutes? Or am I totally not seeing how all of this work?

Because I happen to have free CSD access, does that mean I would necessarily have free WAP, etc access if TMo stops offering it for free?

Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere. I've been reading this forums for over a week now.
    Originally posted by smiling

jskier,

Thanks for replying to my post about whether I should wait to upgrade to TMo 600 and my questions about CSD capability of the Treo 600.

From what you wrote, I'm gathering that TMo's T600 is the one you are recommending I get when it becomes available as opposed to Sprint's T600 since TMo is now offering free internet access (for WAP, HTTP, POP, and SMTP). Is that correct?

No one really knows how long TMo is going to be offering this free internet access, correct? So my current TMo plan with my Visorphone where I have free CSD access (in that it just counts against my voice minutes), is that plan (and my current SIM card) definitely worth holding onto so I will always have a data plan that uses up my voice minutes? Or am I totally not seeing how all of this work?

Because I happen to have free CSD access, does that mean I would necessarily have free WAP, etc access if TMo stops offering it for free?

Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere. I've been reading this forums for over a week now.

AKAIK, everyone on the $39.99 plan now has free WAP. log into www.t-mobile.com and check your plan & services. It should show "Free WAP access". I did not have to do ANYTHING to have it activated. You may have it added already & not even know!
    As far as whether T-Mobile will stop offering it, I don't know (I don't work for T-Mobile), but I can't imagine them giving something then IMMEDIATELY turning it back off. I think free WAP is one of their tools to fight chrun with number portability.
    Also, IMHO you should NOT wait for the T-Mobile branded Treo600. Do like I did and get a OEM or Cingular Treo & use it with T-Mobile. I have an OEM version & have had NO problems with it yet I have never been a fan of Sprint (lousy coverage around where I live in Hawaii) but YMMV. (let's not make this thread Sprint v. T-Mobile PLEASE!). If you are currently happy with T-Mobile, then get an unlocked Treo600 & ENJOY!