Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It appears that the Treo 600 may have its own built-in ringtone manager!

I have now successfully downloaded and implemented a number of ringtones from the treo600essentials website, and noted that when you come to the window with one button marked "Open" and the other marked "Save" that if you choose the "Open" button, it will still save the ringtone to your Treo but, in addition, it opens what appears to be a built-in ringtone manager right within my Treo!

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I correct or incorrect in deeming it to be a legitimate ringtone manager?

Only the Godfather theme doesn't work and perhaps needs to be trimmed. All others I tried are working, and you don't need to email them to yourself or d/l first to your computer. Just use Blazer on your Treo 600.

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Hi. I don't think that's the kind of ringtone manager everyone is wanting. THe one you are talking about just lists the ringtones and lets you edit it's filename. People are looking for one that has more functions than that.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Lakers0340
    Hi. I don't think that's the kind of ringtone manager everyone is wanting. THe one you are talking about just lists the ringtones and lets you edit it's filename. People are looking for one that has more functions than that.
    You may be right, but I owned TCRinger on my 300. Its functions were Copy, Move, Play and Delete.

The screen on the 600 lists OK, Play, Send and Edit. Since the ringtones install themselves automatically, I assume Move is no longer necessary.

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm perplexed as to why anyone would be seeking a ringtone manager for the 600. What does the built-in ringtone manager NOT DO?? I guess the next level would be providing a MIDI editor in-line with the ringtone manager. That seems to me the only potentially relevant "feature" the 600's built-in manager doesn't provide. Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Uh, no. At least not on the Sprint 600. It lets you do everything short of editing the actual MIDI file. You can add new tones, play tones, rename them, and delete them. Exactly what else are you looking to do??
    I'm going to try one more time. My first reply had an error and i'm not typing the long explanation over. So in short:

1. I think the ringtone manager with the treo 600 is fine. I was just statign that others are looking for something more.

2.. Some of the features people are looking for: ability to assign unique ringtone and pic to more than 50 contacts (that's the limit now).

3. Ability to increase volume.

4. For some reason people on discussion boards get really defensive when someone tries to discuss a point. I really don't care to argue, im just posting hoping to help people out.
    Exactly! The ability to assign individual ringers to contacts is a biggie for me! Also the ability to edit the ringtone would be nice as well.

FYI: If anyone is looking for alternative midi player, you can find a freeware one here. Its just a player, but may be more conveniet for some...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    2.. Some of the features people are looking for: ability to assign unique ringtone and pic to more than 50 contacts (that's the limit now).
    How in the world is someone going to possibly remember the association between unique ringtones and more than TEN contacts, let alone more than FIFTY?? That's just silly.

3. Ability to increase volume.
    This is a function of individual MIDI files. There are many threads on this subject. Sure, the device could remember a custom volume setting for each ringer, but then again it could probably churn butter if Handspring had just spent a little more time on design and engineering. Those slack b*stards!

4. For some reason people on discussion boards get really defensive when someone tries to discuss a point. I really don't care to argue, im just posting hoping to help people out.
    For some reason people find it necessary to clutter up useful message boards with silly pablum, decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio in the process. I'm just trying to help people out.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    "How in the world is someone going to possibly remember the association between unique ringtones and more than TEN contacts, let alone more than FIFTY?? That's just silly."

First of all, that's not the point. And for me, the purpose of assigning a ringtone to a particular contact (not favorite) is so that i know who's calling. A friend that lives in Dallas gets the theme from Dallas. A friend that collects I Dream Of Genie stuff gets the I Dream of Genie theme. For me it's easy to remember this type of association. I definately have more than 10 of these associations, but not more than 50. I'm starting to think that the ability to assign a specific ringtone to a "favorite" will fill my needs, but the previous treo models would not allow you to set a specific ring to a specific "favorite" or "speed dial button" as it was called.

I personally find posts like yours as trivial and disruptive to a thread that is trying to help folks find a specific piece of sw. If you don't have the answer, keep your opinion to yourself!!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by randyg
    ...but the previous treo models would not allow you to set a specific ring to a specific "favorite" or "speed dial button" as it was called.
    Huh? All three of the Treo 300s I went through let me do that.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by skidoo
    Huh? All three of the Treo 300s I went through let me do that.
    Never had a 300, have a 180g, and it does not allow you to select a ringtone for a speed dial button.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Never had a 300, have a 180g, and it does not allow you to select a ringtone for a speed dial button.
    Isn't that dinosaur like two generations old?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Isn't that dinosaur like two generations old?
    And aren't we in the "Treo 600 Hardware" forum??
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    ...but the previous treo models would not allow you to set a specific ring to a specific "favorite" or "speed dial button" as it was called.
    Patently false.
    "FYI: If anyone is looking for alternative midi player, you can find a freeware one here. Its just a player, but may be more conveniet for some..."

does this one allow you to increase the volume of the tone? that's my biggest gripe with most of the ringers I have downloaded. thanks!
    Ho do you delete midi files from the Treo600. I do not see a DELETE option for the midi manager built into the treo..

-CK
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ckonkel
    Ho do you delete midi files from the Treo600. I do not see a DELETE option for the midi manager built into the treo..
    Click some buttons. May I suggest the one marked "edit?" See the new buttons that appear? Now click the one marked "delete tone."
    How kind of you to make such an obvious suggestion...

Feeling dumb now...ok done feeling dumb

Thanks!

-CK
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Patently false.
    if you'll check your previous treo, you'll see that you cannot assign a specific ringtone to a specific speed dial button, unless you've got a ringtone manager. it was not possible without third-party sw. and yes, we are on the 600 forum, and i still have my 180g also! So...unless you have the answer to the question this post is about, find another post to hijack!!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

if you'll check your previous treo, you'll see that you cannot assign a specific ringtone to a specific speed dial button, unless you've got a ringtone manager. it was not possible without third-party sw. and yes, we are on the 600 forum, and i still have my 180g also! So...unless you have the answer to the question this post is about, find another post to hijack!!
    I have a Treo300 in my hand. It clearly allows me to assign a unique ringtone to each speed dial button. WITHOUT TCRinger installed! Doh!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast