Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just got mine. Will be charging tonite. Update/review tomorrow.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    To those who recieved them today. Excellent!

I should have mine tomorrow. Records indicate it should have been here today but, perhaps FedEx had trouble.

I'll be reading your reviews with envy in the morning.

Enjoy the Unleash!

Great feedback so far.

Cheers!
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Blue Merlin - I got a very nice email from Brigitte at Reason Products offering me either a replacement unit, fedex'd overnight, or a refund, my choice. I decided to take the replacement and give them a second chance.

About 3 hours after I sent her an email agreeing to try a second unit I got a personal call, not an email, from Brigitte apologizing to me because FedEx could not guarantee next day delivery due to my local weather (big storm here in the NW)...Very unexpected call and super customer service. If it wasnt for Brigitte's excellent customer service I would have returned the unit . She was great.

So I am hoping that I got a defective unit and that this will solve the issues I had.

P.S. I also got theBoom today, which is a remarkable unit, although it is not wireless, it is hands down the best sounding unit I have tried to date with AMAZING sound cancelling abilities.
    See this thread
    Finally it's charged.

The case is pretty cool. I like the fact that it doesn't have to plug into the wall to charge. Have to get some rechargeable batteries.

Fits on my ear pretty good and feels comfortable. I'll know better after I have worn it in the car for a couple of hours. It is very light though. Better that the Jabra IMO.

The little box is MUCH smaller and lighter that the Jabra, though no belt clip. Velcro is perhaps the solution. The plug from the box is VERY tight in the treo. I had to position mine just so to keep it from pushing itself out. Once I got it right it is solid.

Sound quality is excellent. Well so far. All I did was call voice mail and listen to a couple of saved messages. Very crisp and clear. I will have to rerecord one of my voice command entries to see how the mic is. The rcording I did on the Jabra is pathetic. Amazed VC can even understand it.

Range is limited. I'd say 3 1/2 feet tops. Hopefully the dash mount in the car is close enough.

So far so good but the real trial will be on the road with clients on the other end.

More later

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Just started using mine today. It arrived yesterday, got home from my trip late, unpacked it and put in four NIMH batteries and went to bed...

First, I wanted to commend and compliment Reason on their shipping of the unit. First $9.95 is a fairly reasonable price for two-day shipping given what many other online retailers charge. I expected the unit on Wednesday. Instead, I got an email explaining fulfillment problems and the headset arrived Thursday via Fedex overnight. Nice job!

Anyway, So far sound quality is good. The whole case/charger thing is a great design (if a little clunky). A jack to charge the batteries (if you use rechargables) would be nice, but I don't know how long they'll last yet, might not be necessary.

Earpiece fits well and is light and comfortable. I'd like the earpiece to be more snug though (a little fatter maybe, but that's just my ear probably).

I had to trim the jack on the transmitter box to fit the Treo, like all the headsets jacks I've used so far. It looks I might not really have had to, but it fits much better now.

My first complaint isn't with the headset but with the Treo. Who on earth thought they should programatically drop the speakerphone toggle button when a headset is connected? Am I the only one who wants to use the speakerphone sometimes when a headset is connected?
    Well I've used it in the car now....

I'll be sending this back unfortunately. Here's why.

Fit. The rubber ear piece is small at the tip but progresses to this really large round shape that I just can't get to stay in my ear comfortably. Jabra has them on this if nothing else.

Fit 2. The whole thing doesn't conform to my ear very well. Maybe it's me but I just cant get it to snug up very well. Turn my head to look over my shoulder and it almost flies off.

Fit 3. Sunny today, but I cant wear my sunglasses as they push the earpiece off.

Usability. The activation button is almost impossible to use because of fit 2. When I attempt to push it to activae voice command, the unit wants to fall off. Made even worse by Fit 3.

Speaker sound Quality. Seems good but because the dongle is so close to my radio because of the placement of my phone clip on the dash, I am getting a slight hum.

Microphone sound Quality. Haven't actually talked to a real person so I have't gotten a live opinion but Have used (or tried to) Voice Command. I don't figure I should have to yell to get it to understand what I am saying. I kept trying to dial home by saying " call home". All I could get was please say again or whatever that response is. Tried rerecording my home address entry and it couldn't recognize what I was saying.

The microphone adjustable boom. I don't like that this is flexible. Every time I put it on I have to adjust it back to close to my mouth. Once it's back in the case for charging it is straightened out. With the poor fit this is a pain to adjust back to where I want it. Have to hold it to my head with right hand and adjust boom with left. PITA.

Sorry folks, this isn't the answer. At least for me it isnt.

Great idea and form factor but it fails due to poor execution.

I may have to splurge and look at the Boom. even tho it's not wireless.

Woof
    — Ed Howdershelt
    I spoke with Ron in marketing at Reason. He confirmed that there is a special $30.00 "coupon" for Treo users, due to their dedicated involvement in the development of Treo related products. I just used it and it worked. I'll post on my experience.

This coupon is good for Treo users only and is only valid for another 7-10 days from today (01-09-04).
    At some point during checkout there will be a "coupon" box (not promotion code), enter "treo600". This will adjust your price by $30.00.

Ron sounded rather impressed with the loyalty of Treo owners and their willingness to support the products that support Treo. I told him that there are a lot of good development ideas on TreoCentral and suggested that he contact TreoCentral directly to publicize the $30 coupon. A "front page" article about the Unleash and the special Treo coupon would be helpful to all. He though that was a good idea and said he would contact Kenneth Crandall. (Ken, call Ron.)

Any Treo300 users with Unleash? Adapter needed?
    Comments (+/-)

Regards,
    Tom

PS - I'm returning my Freespeak as the sound quality gave me a headache. My corded Jabra headsets are great.

Reason hyperlink:
    http://reasonproducts.com/unleash/info.html
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    My first impressions are pretty good overall, but not perfect.

First issue for me was that the plug is a pain to get into the bottom of the Treo. If i decide to keep it, bit of trimming will fix that.

The fit is very solid for me. I've never been crazy wearing something around my ear, so that is taking a bit of getting used to. Once I get it on my ear I squeeze it into place and it is very snug, in fact I had it too tight for awhile and it started to hurt. I can shake my head like I am at an Quite Riot concert and its solid.

Sound quality is good enough.

The funny shape of the transmitter makes it a bit more challenging to put somewhere. I may actually put a piece of plastic on the back to make it all one thickness, so I can just velcro the transmitter onto the back of the phone in some cases.

My only "issue" with the thing is the range. As described before its something like 3'. Well having the phone on your belt is getting pretty close the the edge of the range. I had the phone on my desk and stood up and the phone went out of range. This seems to be different as other times, the range was like 5-6' and pretty acceptable. I cant really figure out what the variables are.

I just got off a 90 minute call with a customer and everything was fine.
    Originally posted by Woof
    Fit. The rubber ear piece is small at the tip but progresses to this really large round shape that I just can't get to stay in my ear comfortably.

Fit 2. The whole thing doesn't conform to my ear very well. Maybe it's me but I just cant get it to snug up very well. Turn my head to look over my shoulder and it almost flies off.

Fit 3. Sunny today, but I cant wear my sunglasses as they push the earpiece off.

Speaker sound Quality. Seems good but because the dongle is so close to my radio because of the placement of my phone clip on the dash, I am getting a slight hum.
    Woof - I found the ruber ear piece to be unaceptable also. But the day I had it on for 2 hours while driving, I took a call and couldn't hear hardly anything. I grabbed the earpiece and jammed it into my ear and it stuck really well! I figured out that the warmth of my ear had made it formfit. I've had a custom fit ever since.

Re 2: I had the same problem. Another day of practice and I had it fitting just right one handed. Shake my head, etc and no problems.

Re 3: I wear glasses. My initial fit sucked too. That extra bulk in the back was a problem. (See Re 2)

Hope this helps some.
    Got my replacement unit today, as promised. The free FedEx return label was absent though.

So far so good on customer support. I don't expect any hassles on the return lebel clitch.

Blue
    I plan to give it another day of trial. I just don't think it's gonna work for me. Really a nice looking piece tho

Woof
    I've been in contact with Ron at Reason Products and have some very useful information to share.

Incase any other holiday special purchaser started drooling over the $30 rebate (Like I did) and tried to cash in
    "I am not sure if you noticed but the price is now $99. I believe you purchased your product under our holiday special for $69. This is simply an extension of the holiday pricing for Treo users."
    Boy, what a duh, on my part.

Now for the Good Stuff
    Attached to Above Reponse
    "I forgot to mention that I have sent a note to Kenny at Treocentral to have our product reviewed. We’re hoping that will be the best way to answer some questions and concerns. While some of the points are valid (nothing will please everybody) there have been some technical issues which we can’t duplicate. To date the only issues which we know of are the defective batteries which is causing short talk times and in some cases static.

Hopefully this will be a good avenue to reach all the threads ... last Unleash search I did brought up quite a few threads.

Anyway thanks for your patience, we’re looking forward to getting you up and running on a good unit.

Regarding Permission to Post His Responses to Me
    With regards to posting my responses.... you know the great thing about forums like this are they are uncensored so although we don’t like to see the negative comments they make the positive ones that much more meaningful. So please feel free to post what you would like.

Regarding Expounding on the Defective Battery Issue
    "I am planning on expounding on the battery issue next week. We feel like we have the bad units quarantined and plan on sending out a proactive email to people who might be affected. Our fulfillment house is to give us a final report on Monday at which time I can act on that."

howardem - This One's for You!
    "You know I wanted to talk to Blue Merlin .. especially about the synchronization issue you were having."
    We have plans to talk on Monday morning.

Blue
    I have been using my Unleash for about a week now. While I can hear ok, people on the other end say I either sound distant or that I'm breaking up. I've messed with the mic boom to try to fix this but there is really only so much you can do...

Any suggestions? Bad unit? Should I return it?
    First off I'm glad to hear the developers of the Unleash at Reason are involved and monitoring the forum.

I think this product is great and it works for me.

My issue... I use Sprint and the Voice Command feature. I have been pleased with the Treo Helper application and the feature to have it dial * for sprint voicecommand with the button on the unleash unit.

However it only seems to activate this feature if the Treo screen is on and active. So if the screen is not on it won't work. Does anyone have any experience with this and able to get the voice command to work with the unit screen off?
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    I have found this to be the case with other wired headsets. I discovered that if I hold the button on the headset until the screen awakens, it works.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by WHEATHIN
    However it only seems to activate this feature if the Treo screen is on and active. So if the screen is not on it won't work. Does anyone have any experience with this and able to get the voice command to work with the unit screen off?
    Well, I’ve received my replacement unit. It has all the same problems as the first. Only this one is worse. At least the first one would let me talk for 10 minutes before going funky on me. (As if that was really good in the first place )

This one, fully charged, kicks right in with the low battery warning beeps, the static and the reception/send cut-outs. Never even had a chance to enjoy it.

Very disappointed. It’s a sweet little unit - Wireless, Light, Decent Speaker and Mic Quality ... when and IF it’s working.
    OK so here is my final post on this subject.

I too got a replacement Freespeak. Its a little better but not great. Quite frankly if it wasnt for the fact the during the time I was waiting for the replacement unit I purchased and used theBoom and got totally spoiled I might have kept the Freespeak. Ignorance would have been bliss...

So I am returning the Freespeak and keeping and regularly using theBoom.

Final Pros and cons

Pros: The Freespeak is a nice quality piece, good design, very light, easy to wear for a long time. The recharging case is an interesting design, and I liked that I didnt need another cord with a bulky transformer to tote around to keep it charged. The base unit was small and light weight and I had not problems connected it to the T600. The flash switch worked perfectly and was easy to access. Company is small but they care and were responsive (eventually after the holiday break)

Cons: Its simply not clear or loud enough for me. Required 6-7 bars on the volume and is muffled (both units were - my hearing is just fine ). Range was limited significantly depending on enviornment. Sometimes there was significant crackle and static (less in the replacement unit but still there and bothersome). The microphone picked up a significant amount of the ambient noises; road noise, people speaking, stereo. It compared equally to other headpieces in this respect but was no where near the silence of theBoom.

So...its back to wires for me...until the next generation of wireless headsets...then I'll go round and round again
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    I have seen a lot of people mention issues with the fit of the earpeice. At first when I got the headset (before I got my Treo 600 - used on my Treo 300) I had a lot of problems with the earpiece. UNTIL I realized that it should not fit deeply in the ear. Instead, I make the outer part comfortable in on my ear and the rubber cone sits very comfortable in my ear and the outer shell wraps securly around my ear.

Hope this helps,

-david
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I've had Unleash for about a week and it's been touch-and-go for me. I REALLY like the case and ability to drive/use it with out wires. Here are my opinion's on Unleash:

Use with Cases: So far I have a case issue. What to do with the transmitter box? I use several different cases and until now they all require the phone be removed from the case to place/dial a call. The placement of the Treo 600's mic jack is kinda silly too but, that's for another thread at another time. Hopefully the Sprint PCS case I ordered will solve the dialing/need to see the screen problem and I will be able to affix the Unleash box in a clever location.

Range: It's okay but, I've noticed that by moving the transmitter box around it works better. Not too much static.

Reception: I've tested it with voicemail and with real humans. Sometimes I'm clear other times I'm garbled. Not sure if it's a function of the wireless headset or just the coverage I'm in at the time. I too hear road noise and some sounds in the background but it was no worse than other wired headsets on the market.

Ease of Use: Once it's on your ear, it's great. The flash button works flawlessly. The case/charger works great too.

Use with TreoHelper: Wow! What a combination. If only pushing the flash button would wake up the Treo 600 and dial. Sometimes it does but I haven't figured out the right sequence yet. I just push the power button on the Treo 600 to “wake it up” up and push flash button on Unleash real fast. Again, perhaps there's a software fix for this. They're both great together.

Comparison to The Boom: I purchased The Boom and Howardem is right. There's no comparison. The Boom rocks for its ability to block out background sound. It however uses a wire. In a week, I've gotten used to using Unleash and using The Boom today to test it out was a reminder of why I picked up Unleash. Both products offer different pros. I'm gonna stick with both as I can use them in different places and still be happy.

Again thanks for reading this far and letting me share my opinions.

Cheers!
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Has anyone tried any of these headsets
    I am interested in the G2 and the Dongle

It seems a lot smalller than the the unleash or the Fonegear

www.bluetrek.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast