Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I work in a place where Camera Phones are strictly prohibited. But on the other hand I'd like very much to upgrade my exitisting Treo270 to a 600.

Now my question: is there any chance to physically disable the camera without ruining the whole unit?

Thanks in advance!

Uwe

P.S. Why didn't they make a clip-on-camera and integrate the antenna? Sigh....
    Originally posted by umberto

P.S. Why didn't they make a clip-on-camera and integrate the antenna? Sigh....
    Because the whole point of a camera phone is that you always have it. Clipping on a camera defeats that. Additionally, an antenna out in the open is better than one jammed up against components.
  3.    #3  
    Additionally, an antenna out in the open is better than one jammed up against components.
    You're not serious, are you? No Nokia phone in the last two years has an antenna...jammed signal? Not at all.

The first thing that happened to my 270 was breaking the antenna...

Regards
    Uwe
    How will 'they' know that you have disabled the camera? Maybe if the lens is obviously, permanently, physically obscured. Opaque epoxy or such comes to mind.

Handspring/PalmOne should really produce the Treo600nc without a camera for the security challenged amongst us.
    Hey dude. I feel your pain regarding the camera.

Fortunately, our company hasn't passed a rule that forbids our bringing a camera phone on the premises. They have, however, ruled out the 600 for purchase as a corporate cell phone. D*mn shame, too. I absolutely love my 600. Seems a shame to deny employees who use corporate phones the simplicity and elegance of a 'do all' device such as the 600, just because someone's paranoid about somebody taking pictures.

What kills me is, though, that they're outlawing camera phones, but I haven't seen anybody pitch a fit yet about these little USB flash drives. If someone really wanted to steal corporate secrets, you'd think they'd opt for one of these and just take the data as opposed to attempting to get pictures with a camera phone. USB ports are available and wide open on almost every computer you encounter these days. And now they even put 'em on the front for easy access.

As for misuse of the camera for other things (locker room, that kinda stuff) - what happened to good ol' fashioned disciplinary action on a case by case basis?
    Scott

You're not serious, are you? No Nokia phone in the last two years has an antenna...jammed signal? Not at all.
    I never said only exposed antennas work, I just said they work better. Give me a little credit here.
  7.    #7  
    What kills me is, though, that they're outlawing camera phones, but I haven't seen anybody pitch a fit yet about these little USB flash drives.
    I fully agree. I even have the possibilty to take pictures with our department camera and could carry them away on cd and nobody would ever know. But why should I bite the hand that feeds me?

I'm even afraid that those camera phones opened pandoras box. When almost every phone will be equipped with a camera, the paranoid CEOs will forbid the use of private cell phones at work at all and we Treo users will have to get back to a Palm device only again. :-(

Uwe
  8.    #8  
    Give me a little credit here.
    Credit granted! :-)

Maybe you US americans are a bit more "signal-aware" than we "4-bars-reception-even-in-a-tunnel" Europeans. :-)

Uwe
    No security department worth its weight would allow a known cameraphone on the premises if cameras are prohibited regardless what the owner says - they shouldn't be concerned about that at ala - a simple "No!" should come out of them.

If palmOne releases another TREO soon, expect it to be cameraless (the "genius" of Hawkins shines through again, eh?).

Credit granted! :-)

Maybe you US americans are a bit more "signal-aware" than we "4-bars-reception-even-in-a-tunnel" Europeans. :-)

Uwe
    Boy ain't that the case. Driving for 4 hours at 90 miles an hour with no signal at *any* time shows just how much of this country has no coverage at all!
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Just put a little piece of duct tape over the camera part of the Treo. It will blend very well with the Cingular version. Then show it to your supervisor: "Camera? What camera?"
  12.    #12  
    Just put a little piece of duct tape over the camera part of the Treo.
    That's what Samsung agreed with his employees IIRC. But that's not working for our "Blood hound gang". :-)

What I meant was kind of if anybody has already opened the Treo and seen that the lens is a module that can be easily removed (and the device does still work).

Uwe
    actually I could see that as a service.

1. open treo 600
    2. remove camera lens
    3. insert lens plug
    4. close treo 600

Has anyone opened their 600 yet?

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Where can we find pictures of the insides of the Treo 600 GSM?
    Do a search on the TREO 600 forum for the string "o8f" without the quotes. (that's oh-eight-ef)
    Looking at the pictures, it looks possible for the brave at heart (and those who care less about their warrantys.) The real question is, would it make any difference? Would the phone be banned because it was a model 'Treo600' and therefore must have a camera, or would the phone be inspected to determine that it had or didn't have a camera in it?

Looks like the simplest modification would require opening the case, removing the lens cover, and replacing it with an opaque insert of the proper size and shape. The case could then be closed. The camera and all the software would still be there... but rather useless.
    get the boss out of the office, show him the phone, take a "picture" with it and let him see how crap it is, he'll soon realise it's not a proper camera
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Because the whole point of a camera phone is that you always have it. Clipping on a camera defeats that. Additionally, an antenna out in the open is better than one jammed up against components.
    External antennas are a mistake if you're trying to sell Treos to the "Average Joe". Dump the antenna and you have a design that's almost perfect.

Handspring hit a home run with the Treo 600 but, with a bit more time, money and care (and a 320 x 320 screen, Bluetooth, 1.3 MP camera, better speaker, etc.) they could have hit a grand slam. I'm expecting another Big Name company to have a smartphone out by July, 2004 that finally squeezes all of the goodies into a compact package. That company is called ********* and its upcoming model will be called the *******.
    Originally posted by murrayalex
    get the boss out of the office, show him the phone, take a "picture" with it and let him see how crap it is, he'll soon realise it's not a proper camera

murrayalex: Play nice now!
    e-mail reply from MotionApps...

"mCamLock will be available on our site (www.MotionApps.com) for download and purchase during the next week.
    Its price will be $19.99..."

From their site:

"mCamLock locks the camera so that users are not able to take pictures until a previously configured password is entered. Once the password is supplied mCamLock application unlocks the camera and makes it available with no other limitations.

Since mCamLock is a tool for enforcing the corporate "take no picture" policy inside the company, end users will not be able to remove the application from the device in a usual way. In order to lower the cost of application deployment to a large number of corporate devices, mCamLock minimizes the IT work required for application installation and distribution over the large number of devices. This is achieved by providing means for one-step installation of pre-configured application either through HotSync or SD card based installs."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast