1.    #1  
    Can we be able to use the ring tone of any song we want for when a phone call comes in? You can do this with nokia phones, the p900s, and many other phones. How bout our sucky T600?

And when the hell is SMS (ability to send) OFFICIALLY coming out?

And it sucks that WiFi can't be used w/ the T600. Sucks real bad. Imagine when every restaurant and building becomes a hotspot. You'd wish you had Wifi.

No BT-there HAS GOT to be a solution to this through third party software.

And picture mail-why the hell do we have to pay $5.00 for this? What's the use? Just send the pic to someone's email account for free! Duh

And Blazer 3-it's still slow as hell. The first day I got it, it was lightning fast. After have a few pages in cache, its as slow as Blazer 1.0, like 14.4kb/s slow. How do we clear out web page cache or even clear anything out of our internal memory?
    A lot of those complaints are Sprint-specific (namely the SMS and MMS gripes). Other carriers don't have that problem. As for WiFi and BT, you'll have to wait until an SD solution is available.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Can we be able to use the ring tone of any song we want for when a phone call comes in? You can do this with nokia phones, the p900s, and many other phones. How bout our sucky T600?
    Midi ringtones work fine if that's what you're asking

And when the hell is SMS (ability to send) OFFICIALLY coming out?

You'll have to ask sprint. Last I heard it would be january. In the meantimes, Treo600SMS works very well.

And it sucks that WiFi can't be used w/ the T600. Sucks real bad. Imagine when every restaurant and building becomes a hotspot. You'd wish you had Wifi.
    Not particularly. I can browse the internet right now anywhere that Sprint has service right now. Don't have to wait for WiFi to be everywhere.

No BT-there HAS GOT to be a solution to this through third party software.

Uhh, they are still working on the drivers for the Palm bluetooth card if that's what you mean by software.

And picture mail-why the hell do we have to pay $5.00 for this? What's the use? Just send the pic to someone's email account for free! Duh
    I think the picture mail price is for those people who haven't bought the full sprint vision internet plan. If you got vision internet you shouldn't be paying extra for picture mail.

And Blazer 3-it's still slow as hell. The first day I got it, it was lightning fast. After have a few pages in cache, its as slow as Blazer 1.0, like 14.4kb/s slow. How do we clear out web page cache or even clear anything out of our internal memory?
    from the browser:

menu -> options -> preferences -> advanced -> memory management

Hope that helps.

On another note, you probably need to step back for a minute and look at the competition and really ask yourself if there is something out there that does everything the Treo does, in the form factor that the treo does it at the price that the treo is going for.
    on the picturemail, you can just use the mail app to send the pictures as an attachement rather than pay $5 for the service.

on wifi, the sandisk card has tested as providing 300kbps throughput...not a whole lot faster in reality than the 100kbps i get with sprint's 1XRTT. Regardless, i would expect that a wifi solution would be available "when wifi is in every restaurant".
  5.    #5  
    Yes, there are many devices that can do what the Treo 600 does, even far better, but except the keyboard. Including, Nokia 3650 (free, even MORE capable than the T600-streaming video, better camera, better and easier OS, much better everything-sound, speaker, quality.). P900, same deal. No keyboard. But BT, wifi, etc. Only thing these 2 phones lack are more internal memory. Thumbs down for that.

Other than that-Wifi is key, don't know how anyone cannot be complaining about the blazer. more like the 'Turtle'. If you need to look up scores on ESPN, it took me a good 3 mintues to download the page. The page wasn't more than 300K. So lets do the math 300K=2400kb over 180 seconds is 13.333kb/s. Ok, its not exactly 50-70kb/s, its more like 14.4 speeds. This is too slow. I mean god, I'm trying to show my friend the score and i'm having them look at the screen at the same time as me, but its taking too long to download, so they say "it's too slow" and walk away. 2-3 mintues later, the page comes up, then you have to click on the right link, another 2-3 minutes. Finally what shows up is Oklahome beating Purdue 47-45 college basketball.

TreoSMS will not allow you to send, will it? Otherwise I would be using that. Last time I used it on T300, it would not send, and would soft reset my phone every time or something.

Yes my problems are Sprint-specific. The GPRS T600 is much better-props to the world phone carrier network. Sprint can go to hell.

Midi ring tones, I think that's what i'm talking about..but isn't it more like MP3 ring tones? How bout if I wanted to play puff daddy or snoop dog when I got a phone call, will it play the actual song when i get a phone call, and then have the person's picture id also? Tell me how to do both of these things, either separately, or combined.

Picture mail-NO, why is it that I have premium vision, but i still get a pop up message in my blazer saying "my picture mail will expire on Dec 18, would you like to download for $5 a month? or no thanks" why is it saying that when I have $15 premium Vision?

Overall my conclusion is that the $400-250 you pay for your T600 is not worth it after you add it all up. Nokia 3650-free, for what it does, now THAT is a good value. P900-not a good value, but more cabable than the t600. Wait till that drops to like under 400. T600-headaches headaches and more headaches. They made everything harder to use, until you get used to it. But not really a significant improvement over the functionality of the t300. I can do everything on the t300 that i can on the t600. I haven't bought an SD card yet because i have this feeling the more apps and stuff I had to my T600, the more apt it is to soft reset with all these software incompatibilities. The camera-well we all know it sucks indoors, and its decent outdoors. Still not that useable..maybe for emergencies it is worth it like when you have a car crash or you caught someone robbing a bank. No streaming video camcorder, needs to improve sound reception, needs less bugs, needs better screen, but other than that, its alright. Screen and blazer are the 2 big things that do it for me. I'm still not a big fan of the calendar either. Time to find a lot of third party apps to my liking. NONE which I'm paying for, I'll pirate these..everyone put their apps on Kazaa!!!!
    I don't see the 3650 as being in the same league as the Treo 600. The keyboard is a HUGE difference compared to the 3650 in terms of data entry. Trying to use that rotary dial just doesn't compare. Plus there's no touch screen so forget about graffiti or anything like that. Plus the Treo can take advantage of the humungous software library of palmos. Maybe it's a better camera but entering notes and sending e-mails and text messages it's at a big disadvantage.

I can see the comparison between the treo 600 and the P900 but we have to wait and see what price point it comes in at.

As to web browsing, it could definitely be faster. However, some of the time taken is due to blazer having to resize graphics to view on the small screen. I generally stick to wap sites whenever possible and they come up pretty quickly.

Treo 600SMS will allow you to send and receive SMS messages.

The treo was definitely worth it to me because now I can get rid of my PDA, migrate all the apps that I already paid for and can't do without and walk with a fully functional PDA, a functional web browser and a capable phone all in one small, relatively stylish package.

Everyone's needs are different and if you don't think that the improved integration of the 5-way navigator into a recent version of the OS, the faster hardware, better screen and more sturdy construction is worth it to you, then don't get it or send it back.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Treo600 SMS is great for sending and receiving SMS messages. It makes you forget Sprint doesn't implement true SMS.

As to Blazer's speeds, it's MUCH faster for me than whatever version of Blazer was on my 300. One suggestion: pages display faster when you take it out of "optimized" mode.

For me, the keyboard is essential for serious mobile productivity. That immediately makes inferior nearly every other phone/pda combo on the market. The field that's left bows to the 600, no contest (memory, speed, expandability).

So, do I have suggestions for the next generation of Treos? Of course. And I'll always want faster/better. But I don't get it when people slam the device. It makes me wonder if they even own one.
    Yes, there are many devices that can do what the Treo 600 does, even far better, but except the keyboard. Including, Nokia 3650 (free, even MORE capable than the T600-streaming video, better camera, better and easier OS, much better everything-sound, speaker, quality.). P900, same deal. No keyboard. But BT, wifi, etc. Only thing these 2 phones lack are more internal memory. Thumbs down for that.

Other than that-Wifi is key, don't know how anyone cannot be complaining about the blazer. more like the 'Turtle'. If you need to look up scores on ESPN, it took me a good 3 mintues to download the page. The page wasn't more than 300K. So lets do the math 300K=2400kb over 180 seconds is 13.333kb/s. Ok, its not exactly 50-70kb/s, its more like 14.4 speeds. This is too slow. I mean god, I'm trying to show my friend the score and i'm having them look at the screen at the same time as me, but its taking too long to download, so they say "it's too slow" and walk away. 2-3 mintues later, the page comes up, then you have to click on the right link, another 2-3 minutes. Finally what shows up is Oklahome beating Purdue 47-45 college basketball.

TreoSMS will not allow you to send, will it? Otherwise I would be using that. Last time I used it on T300, it would not send, and would soft reset my phone every time or something.

Yes my problems are Sprint-specific. The GPRS T600 is much better-props to the world phone carrier network. Sprint can go to hell.

Midi ring tones, I think that's what i'm talking about..but isn't it more like MP3 ring tones? How bout if I wanted to play puff daddy or snoop dog when I got a phone call, will it play the actual song when i get a phone call, and then have the person's picture id also? Tell me how to do both of these things, either separately, or combined.

Picture mail-NO, why is it that I have premium vision, but i still get a pop up message in my blazer saying "my picture mail will expire on Dec 18, would you like to download for $5 a month? or no thanks" why is it saying that when I have $15 premium Vision?

Overall my conclusion is that the $400-250 you pay for your T600 is not worth it after you add it all up. Nokia 3650-free, for what it does, now THAT is a good value. P900-not a good value, but more cabable than the t600. Wait till that drops to like under 400. T600-headaches headaches and more headaches. They made everything harder to use, until you get used to it. But not really a significant improvement over the functionality of the t300. I can do everything on the t300 that i can on the t600. I haven't bought an SD card yet because i have this feeling the more apps and stuff I had to my T600, the more apt it is to soft reset with all these software incompatibilities. The camera-well we all know it sucks indoors, and its decent outdoors. Still not that useable..maybe for emergencies it is worth it like when you have a car crash or you caught someone robbing a bank. No streaming video camcorder, needs to improve sound reception, needs less bugs, needs better screen, but other than that, its alright. Screen and blazer are the 2 big things that do it for me. I'm still not a big fan of the calendar either. Time to find a lot of third party apps to my liking. NONE which I'm paying for, I'll pirate these..everyone put their apps on Kazaa!!!!
    Dude, why don't you just return your Treo and buy one of the other phones that you think are so much better/feature enhanced/cheaper? You sound like a bratty kid...
    Or switch from Sprint, since most of your problems seem to be issues with their ****ty service.
    Some of the problems folks always complain about regarding Sprint must be regional. I've been a Sprint customer for almost two years, and I've NEVER had problems with their data network or their voice service. Always sounds great, and the data is the fastest I've seen. On the flip side, I had Cingular for a couple of years before I switched and I always had problems with dead zones. Sprint must've chosen their tower locations well around here; it truly is very good service.

As usual, when dealing with any type of radio signals: location, location, location always makes a difference.
    Scott
    Originally posted by Slick50

Dude, why don't you just return your Treo and buy one of the other phones that you think are so much better/feature enhanced/cheaper? You sound like a bratty kid...
    ...or a troll...

(Joseph, if you are a legitimate poster with genuine gripes about the 600 please accept my apologies , but if you are one of the name-changing, trolls that frequent these boards please go somewhere else - we don't want you)
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by cadetstimpy
    Some of the problems folks always complain about regarding Sprint must be regional. I've been a Sprint customer for almost two years, and I've NEVER had problems with their data network or their voice service. Always sounds great, and the data is the fastest I've seen. On the flip side, I had Cingular for a couple of years before I switched and I always had problems with dead zones. Sprint must've chosen their tower locations well around here; it truly is very good service.

As usual, when dealing with any type of radio signals: location, location, location always makes a difference.
    I've been a Sprint customer for longer than I can remember (maybe seven years?). Over the years there have been two or three billing-related hickups that had to be resolved, but in all cases I found Sprint more than generous with complimentary retention incentives (extra minutes, phone credits, etc.). I can say, on balance, after hearing anecdotes about the other providers in my area (Central Virginia) that Sprint's service and coverage and now features (ala Vision) are superior. Plus, Sprint hasn't gone out of business or "changed it's name" 10 times over this same time period. The other providers around here (currently) are SunCom (AT&T partner), Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, and NexTel. At least those are the ones of which I'm aware.

Just my two cents. Your mileage probably does vary. And just as an aside, I've never used Sprint for any other service (e.g. long distance or local calling). That is, I've only been strictly wireless with Sprint.
  13.    #13  
    Ok, I found out how to make my Blazer 3 faster. And it is truly faster this way, about what they claim, 50-70kb/s. You have to go into preferences and advanced mode, then set your page memory to something high, so that it doesnt get maxed out. Then clear your existing memory. Before, my page memory was full, and the blazer has no "capacity" so to speak so everything becomes slowed down. Once cleared, and then once I set my page memory max to like 10MB, every page now is super fast, almost feels like broadband for a second. You'll see the data at the bottom flying..but if you were to really time it, it falls around 50-70kb/s, versus like 14.4 what it felt like when the page memory was maxed. The speed is pretty darn good for a phone dial up. I highly doublt there is any data network that is as fast as Sprint's. Now I can claim it lives up to its name, Blazer. But just dont let that cache get full.

Still, Sprint doesnt allow MMS, or does it, and it wont allow the
    Wifi SDIO card when it comes out, so Sprint has its disatvanges.

Is there a PDAnet for the T600 thats working well? I heard there were a lot of problems with it, so the developer better get his *** to work and fix that because it is a pretty nice software for now, while a lot of places dont have hot spot. I dont know anybody else who can hook up a wireless modem to their laptop like that, unlimited. Documents download pretty fast, I downloaded a 245KB pdf document, in about a minute. So that turns out to 33.2Kb/s...but it wasn't too bad.

Yes the keyboard is superior to any other text entry technology as of yet, but I think the T300 keyboard was easier to use. I have trouble while driving typing on the T600. With the T300, I could type with one hand, without even looking at the keypad. The t600 i have to look at the keypad, thus taking my eyes off the road or if i were walking, taking my eyes off what's in front of me. For the form factor, I'll take it cause now I"m not as scared to put that brick up to my ear while people are looking. They look all scared when they see such a big thing up at my ear, especially with the T300, people would be like, "what the heck is that???" and give me this bad look. Now, I can actually go out in public and use my phone. Big plus. BUt still I've gotten a few, "what is that?" with the T600, when compared to all my friends super small cell phones nowadays. Well, I kinda smirk in my mind cause of what I'm capable of doing w/ my phone vs theirs. I can get directions, movie times, go to xxx websites, hehe, schedule stuff, etc etc which makes it all worth it. The phone reception is livable, but I wish it were better. The screen definitely needs to be improved, most important thing, for the T700. The sound also got worse on the T600. I miss phone calls cause the ring tones are too soft. How do I download a song of preference as my ring tone? Lets say snoop dog or something? Also is IRC a good place to go to get free Palm software? NO way I'm paying for Palm software. Not like you're gonna bust out a spreadsheet on the screen, it's too small. And anyone got a good version of AIM? mine, on the buddy screen, you can't distinguish if people are away or there because there is no yellow book thingy by their name. I"m using the free version that was on the T300.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Still, Sprint doesnt allow MMS, or does it,
    I assume you mean SMS. Get Treo600SMS. Works perfectly. Real two-way SMS. On Sprint.
    and it wont allow the Wifi SDIO card when it comes out, so Sprint has its disatvanges.
    This has nothing to do with Sprint. Apparently the power provided to the SD slot on the **600** is not adequate for the needs of a WIFI card.

The sound also got worse on the T600. I miss phone calls cause the ring tones are too soft.
    I'm beginning to suspect you don't actually have a 600. And if you do, you should return it. Mine is super-loud.

How do I download a song of preference as my ring tone? Lets say snoop dog or something?
    You ever heard of http://www.handspring.com ?? You should check it out sometime. You'll find, among other things, little gems such as this: http://mididb.com/. Doy.

NO way I'm paying for Palm software.
    You should just stick with your Nokia. Really.

And anyone got a good version of AIM?
    Troll Alert! For others who might be interested (and willing to pay small fees for quality Palm apps), I recommend Verichat. http://www.pdaapps.com.

Trollin', trollin', trollin'....
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    josephtse was just added to my Ignore List.
  16.    #16  
    Super loud is different from good fidelity. Have you ever played $15 computer speakers real loud? Now compare that to playing a $2000 pair of B&Ws or Klipsches or Boses at the same decibel level. Even use a sound pressure meter if you want. Now can you tell the difference in clarity? I think you get my point.

About polyphonic ring tones. MIDIS ARE DIFFERENT FROM MP3S. I'm not talking about downloaded some ****ty as piano electronic sounding midi. I'm talking about a real mp3 as my ring tone. Like Ludicrous or some rapper. I guess no one's been able to answer my question, becuase they dont have an MP3 play as their ring tone.

Yes I do own a T600, and I'm trying to give criticism so people and developers will listen and improve upon this mediocre product. I am deciding to keep it, because i feel this is no better alternative for me at the moment. I suppose, for the price, you get what you pay for (Anyone that paid more than $250 got ripped off, everyone should try to do the $50 deal w/ warranty upgrade, only way its worth it.). The nokia 3650's camera is like twice as good at the T600's. SAw it again this weekend. It can take pictures indoors at a dark restaurant, also the resolution and "coverage" of that lens/sensor is twice the T600s, so that makes the nokia 3650 320x320 at least. Its good thats all I can say.

well enough gripes, back to my work. IN the meanwhile, I will try to find apps on IRC if they are there.
    again with this 3650? Why don't you try typing up some e-mails on that "rotary" dial. I've got a Minolta that's way better than the 3650. Maybe I should walk around with that and ditch my treo 600.