1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the T-Mobile Treo 600 will be IDENTICAL to the Cingular version, except with T-Mobile branding on the Wireless mode on/off screens? I currently have a Cingular unlocked Treo 600 with my T-Mo SIM and want to know if I should trade to the T-Mo version of the Treo 600 when it becomes available, or just stick to this Cingular version.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    As the Treo goes...just wait until your Cingular handset craps out. When Hand/Palm has to replace it, they'll ask your carrier...you'll tell 'em T-Mo, and all of a sudden you'll have a T-Mo handset.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Alli
    As the Treo goes...just wait until your Cingular handset craps out. When Hand/Palm has to replace it, they'll ask your carrier...you'll tell 'em T-Mo, and all of a sudden you'll have a T-Mo handset.
    Alli,

How does that happen? What will HS do for me if/when my Treo craps out? I have never owned one before and I am curious about the process.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by dimensiondvdrob
    Does anyone know if the T-Mobile Treo 600 will be IDENTICAL to the Cingular version, except with T-Mobile branding on the Wireless mode on/off screens? I currently have a Cingular unlocked Treo 600 with my T-Mo SIM and want to know if I should trade to the T-Mo version of the Treo 600 when it becomes available, or just stick to this Cingular version.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    There seems to be alot of concern from users who have purchased an unlocked Treo 600 for use with their Tmobile account. Presently I'm not very concerned, when I purchased my first Treo 270, I purchased it from handspring, later on when the GPRS upgrade became available, I simply went to the Tmobile site and downloaded the upgrade that was specific to their network.

I'm still of the opinion that this will be the case for the Treo 600 as well, at some point we will simply download a patch to our phone that has been optimized for the Tmobile network. In the meantime I've been very happy with my Treo 600 and have not had any problems using it on the tmobile network.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 12/12/2003 at 10:38 AM.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Originally posted by Prismatic

There seems to be alot of concern from users who have purchased an unlocked Treo 600 for use with their Tmobile account. Presently I'm not very concerned, when I purchased my first Treo 270, I purchased it from handspring, later on when the GPRS upgrade became available, I simply went to the Tmobile site and downloaded the upgrade that was specific to their network.

I'm still of the opinion that this will be the case for the Treo 600 as well, at some point we will simply download a patch to our phone that has been optimized for the Tmobile network. In the meantime I've been very happy with my Treo 600 and have not had any problems using it on the tmobile network.
    Good God I hope so, Prismatic!!
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Prismatic

Prismatic,

I am also VERY happy so far with my unlocked Cingular Treo. I just didn't know for sure (since this is my FIRST Treo device) if it would ultimately be better to have the T-Mobile version for the T-Mobile network. So far, I have not experienced any problems using this on the T-Mobile network and don't think I will have in the future. I wanted to be dead-on for sure that it's acceptable to use the Treo in this manner. That's all. I just didn't want to miss out on any features that the T-Mobile unit might have specific for T-Mobile's network. As far as Handspring has told me, both Treos will be IDENTICAL and just the branding will basically change.

Still, thank you for your reply.
    My first 270 was also direct from Handspring (just like the Cingular 600). By the 3rd time I had to have it replaced, T-Mo had a branded version, and that's what Hand sent me. I'm not even questioning that the 600 will have to be replaced the same as the 270 did.
    You have the same phone no matter if it says T-Mobile or AT&T or Cingular on the splash screen. Even the splash screen can be changed so I dont see much point in upgrading...
    -- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=43827

See the third post in this thread.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 12/13/2003 at 05:14 AM.
    Originally posted by Alli
    My first 270 was also direct from Handspring (just like the Cingular 600). By the 3rd time I had to have it replaced, T-Mo had a branded version, and that's what Hand sent me. I'm not even questioning that the 600 will have to be replaced the same as the 270 did.
    Cynical, but probably accurate. Amazing that these things are such useful little tools that I'm willing to put up with that. The most annoying bug so far is the constant Blazer resets due to Autofill file corruption.

Anyway, from the sound of things, T-Mobile wasn't happy with product stability, for one, and is awaiting a HS software/firmware update. So the T-Mobile units will probably ship with this update already installed, and Cingular/ATT users will just have to use a web update to push ours to that version.

The T600 was kind of pushed out the door, dimension, in case you weren't aware (HS=out of $), so nobody should be surprised to hear that they'll likely issue a slew of fixes as soon as things calm down a bit.

-S
    We live with daily fixes to our desktop OS. (Can anyone say Microsoft?) So big deal if there's an occasional fix to the palm os. As long as they take care of it.
    Originally posted by dimensiondvdrob

Prismatic,

I am also VERY happy so far with my unlocked Cingular Treo. I just didn't know for sure (since this is my FIRST Treo device) if it would ultimately be better to have the T-Mobile version for the T-Mobile network. So far, I have not experienced any problems using this on the T-Mobile network and don't think I will have in the future. I wanted to be dead-on for sure that it's acceptable to use the Treo in this manner. That's all. I just didn't want to miss out on any features that the T-Mobile unit might have specific for T-Mobile's network. As far as Handspring has told me, both Treos will be IDENTICAL and just the branding will basically change.

Still, thank you for your reply.
    No problem, I just wanted to point out that you were not the only one that had voiced this concern. Others, including experienced users that had owned previous models of the treo had reservations about this.

There have been messages posted in other threads here on Treocentral about users wanting to return their Cingular branded as well as other unlocked Treos for Tmobile branded ones once the Tmobile version is released.

This despite very few problems being reported in using an unlocked Treo on the Tmobile network, and despite the fact that in the past (with the 270) this wasn't a problem. As I stated before when the GPRS update was released for the 270, I simply went to the Tmobile site and downloaded the patch that was specific to their network for my unlocked 270.

I think it would be disastrous for handspring (palmone) if users start returning perfectly functioning treo 600's in mass for tmobile branded versions of the same phone when any difference in functionality can be remedied by updating the phones firmware at a later date when the updates are made available.
    No good deed goes unpunished