Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I just read this following article just published by Brighthand:

SanDisk Explains Delay of Palm OS Wi-Fi SD Card

The first problem relates the rights to Palm OS intellectual property for development of Wi-Fi drivers. Because to the transition of Palm, Inc. into two separate companies, the negotiation and acquisition of these rights has not proceeded as quickly as SanDisk and SyChip had hoped. SyChip has now reached an understanding with PalmSource for the rights and support required to develop Palm OS drivers but the legal agreement needs to be finalized and signed. SanDisk expects the final version of the driver to be released during the first quarter of 2004.

The second problem is hardware related. Since Wi-Fi capabilities were not an original design requirement, the majority of Palm OS handhelds use components with maximum power specifications below Wi-Fi needs. It is technically possible to use the SD Wi-Fi card but its usage may damage the device and void the warranty. A number of handheld computer manufacturers have assured SanDisk that they will modify the designs of their SDIO devices to correct this problem but that doesn't help people who already own handhelds that aren't capable of powering the SD Wi-Fi card, like the Treo 600.
    If this is true, then current Treo600 users will NEVER be able to use the Sandisk wifi card b/c it technically incompatible. This is very disappointing news imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    doesn't really matter, when you've got a data plan you don't even need WiFi.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Wow. The lack of WiFi on my Treo fails to cause any kind of reaction within me.

Bluetooth....that would.
    So looks like the ol MS may have one up on us.... XDA II?
    Wooow.... This is bad... This is not what a lot of Treo 600 users want to hear. Can you imaging the possibility of accessing your corporate network while roaming on your work sites???? And without paying for the data packets service...

This is bad!!! This is bad!!!
    I can imagine doing it on my Treo. Hm. Nope, dont like it. Rather do it on my iPaq like I already do.
    I agree with Ksilebo:

No wi-fi, no big deal

No bluetooth, that would be awful.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    I guess we should get the wi-fi wallet with built-in battery and use that instead.

Now where is that Palm Universal connector to Treo convertor adapter?
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by epoints
    Wooow.... This is bad... This is not what a lot of Treo 600 users want to hear. Can you imaging the possibility of accessing your corporate network while roaming on your work sites???? And without paying for the data packets service...

This is bad!!! This is bad!!!
    In addition, it's about making VoIP calls via wifi!! There have been numerous threads here about the possibility to make VoIP calls on the Treo600 and news of incompatibility with wifi SD cards will definitely be a blow!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Still suffering a total caring failure.

Free nights and weekends and I barely use all 500 minutes.
    WiFi is really not that important considering what all the T600 CAN do. I agree with the others. No WIFI, no problem.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
    I have to agree with Ksilebo. Who cares? I bought this as a phone. I think most people bought this as a phone. I don't want it to be tethered to a Wifi basestation. I have a really excellent Wifi device. It's called a laptop!

Now if someone told me I'll never get Bluetooth I'd be alot more depressed. Why do I want Bluetooth? So I can use my laptop for those big screen moments when there is no Wifi basestation around.

Really, truely I think sometimes you just need to enjoy what you have, not complain about some theoretical capability you don't have. Anyone here use Wifi on a PocketPC? If so, the battery life of a Treo when using data on a phone network looks really, really good!
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    Still suffering a total caring failure.

Free nights and weekends and I barely use all 500 minutes.
    Gee, well good for you!

I personally was hoping to utilize VoIP on the Treo to make inexpensive international calls. I've treid to do this using Gphone via 1xrtt and unfortunately it just doesn't work. Furthermore, this issue goes beyond just wifi SD cards. The issues over maximum power requirments necessary for certain SDIO cards could hamper the development of other SD products as well. What about the combo wifi+BT SD card just announced by SyChip? I doubt that would be compatible with the Treo600 either...

I have to chime in with the same sentiments...99.5% non-issue for me.

-Rob
    Originally posted by Ksilebo
    Wow. The lack of WiFi on my Treo fails to cause any kind of reaction within me.

Bluetooth....that would.
    No WiFi, that isn't good. I would rather use my local network (faster, free) than a monthly data plan. I can also hook up at my office.

I would take WiFi over Bluetooth any day. I have no need for Bluetooth on my phone.
    Wi-fi is going to be a key to Treo's success over other PDAs. Not having it will cribble Treo 600 in comparison with others.

Granted t600 can do so much, but imaging having access to web, internal emails, voip WITHOUT PAYING for the data packets. There is an increase trend in public grass-root wi-fi hotspots everywhere. That means in months you can be roaming over these wifi hotspots using your Treo 600. Again, without paying for the access....

Wi-Fi is the key!
  17.    #17  
    Okay, after reading some of these responses, I feel I need to explain why you should be concerned that the wifi SD card is not compatible with the Treo600...

1) Cost: Not everyone here is using Sprint's unlimited vision data plans. Alot of users have metered plans and thus access to wifi would have siginificantly enhanced the data connectivity for these users.

2) Speed: Even though the processor of the Treo600 could not possible take advantage of the full speeds of 802.11b, it would still have been signifcantly faster than 1xrtt and gprs period. This is significant factor for many sys admins

3) Ubiquity: If you live in a metropolitan area or work/study on a campus setting, you will most likely have access to wifi coverage. The fact is that wifi spots are growing faster and are becoming more accessible to an ever wider population of users. There can be many instances where the only wireless coverage you may have is wifi and not WAN. The beauty of a tri-wireless device like the TI Wanda is that it can seamless switch from one type of wireless connectivity to another which is extremely advantgeous with in large concrete/steel buildings where a cellular signal may not be found. In fact, one of the major advances of PalmOS 6 will be the capability to seamless switch and jump from one wireless standard to another. A wifi enabled Treo600 would have enabled you to use WAN (1xrtt/gprs) for normal "outdoor' use and then WLAN (wifi) for "indoor or campus" use as necessary. It is based this paradigm why many wireless cellular providers are building up their own wifi networks...

4) Applications: One of the so called "killer apps" that is pushing wifi into the enterprise market is VoIP. That is the whole point of why PalmOne developed the T|C. A wifi enabled Treo600 would have only increased the powerful functionality of the device. The ability to make cheap international VoIP calls via wifi in combination with seamless integration with wireless email and voice would have been a killer combo in the Treo600 imo...

5) Compatiblity with other SDIO products: As I stated above, this news could be portentious in regards to other SDIO peripherals for the Treo600. I simply don't like when I find out that certain peripherals are not compatible with my device. The power issues of the wifi SD card might mean that other SD peripheral may also have this same problem...

Anyway, that's enough of my soap box moment. I just wanted to explain why this was significant, at least to me. The only hope I see is that future iterations of the Treo should be compatible with these devices. However, my ideal future Treo would be a tri-wireless device anyway...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 12/11/2003 at 05:33 PM.

I'm sorry but huh? The Treo will succeed or fail based on being a phone integrated with a pda. If you want the best PDA, the Treo 600 is not and never will be it. Go buy one of the Tungsten line.

For those wanting, Wifi. Great go complain about it. If you bought the Treo for this, you have may sympathies. But I learned a long time ago for computers and other techy toys, buy it based on what it does now, or what you are 100% sure it will have within two months of getting it. Never buy something for possible future capability because 90% of the time it will never happen.

It's the best smartphone out there. But that's what it is. For data, I use T-Mobile which has unlimited data access like Sprint. If Wifi is key to you, get a Tungsten C or an iPaq, but not having Wifi is going to made very little difference in the success or failure of the Treo 600.

Originally posted by epoints
    Wi-fi is going to be a key to Treo's success over other PDAs. Not having it will cribble Treo 600 in comparison with others.
    1) Cost: I have Sprint's Vision

2) Speed: I dont do anything on my Treo that demands UBERFAST SUPERSPEED! Thats what my iPaq is for.

3) Ubiquity: I dont need to use VoIP when I have a 500 minute plan I never go over on.

4) Applications: Yeah, its spiffy, but I have an iPaq again...

5) Compatiblity with other SDIO products: Bluetooth uses a hell of a lot less power than 802.11b. GPS recievers do as well. It seems that it is the one that uses the most power, or, perhaps, they should modify the antenna so it doesnt use so much power anyway.

Now, mind you, if one came out, I'd be weird and buy it anyway because I'd have another toy (I can get it now for my iPaq, as there are drivers for it, but, I have a CompactFlash one already). You're just waaaay too excited over this.
    I don't disagree with bcaslis on buying today's technology, but think back years before Treo 600, when one would have to carry a pda, a pager and a cell phone. Now Treo does it all....

Why? because there are people out there who support the vendors and giving input on what we want....

Vendors are not going to produce something if there is not enough critical mass in demand. Voiceing our 'frustration' or 'complaints' on forum like this will give vendors some kind of demand indicator.

Now, imaging you need to carry your ipaq for wi-fi along with your treo....

wi-fi capability will separate Treo from other PDA phone with simialr capability (like the kyocera's palm phone)....
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast